Dear Mike.

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Andres
Developer

Re: Dear Mike.

Post by Andres » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:36 pm

Hi, I am currently not actively developing for this project but I’d like to share my opinion about this subject:

It's crucial that the Lead developer (Mike) thoroughly reviews all aspects to ensure a smooth gaming experience.
Nobody wants to deal with rollbacks caused by exploits, bugs, or dupes days later—it's detrimental for both developers and players.

In many IT projects, a lead programmer, with extensive experience in the codebase, plays a pivotal role in maintaining quality over quantity, despite potential longer wait times.

I am fully aware that this mindset causes frustration for the community and/or developers but we have to respect the workflow.

As long Mike and/or Rapsey don't feel like changing this it is something we should respect.

Wir3d
Honor Player

Post by Wir3d » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:57 pm

Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:37 am We dont need Devs acting like cocky clans now
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:37 am If you think thats baiting, I have no idea what youre on about.
If they have responded to you and said Its a "feature" then you have your answer? Not sure if you have read this thread on or not, the devs have done their part in updates\bug fixes and implementing quick fixes for issues they can handle. The majority, if not all of these corrections made by devs have to be approved by Mike who has taken a step back for mental health currently.
An Iron Noob wrote:This server would be way more successful, have greater player retention, and better, more positive vibes if it weren't for Nazuths and roddycc.

Markymark
Premium Donator

Post by Markymark » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:19 pm

Wir3d wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:57 pm
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:37 am We dont need Devs acting like cocky clans now
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:37 am If you think thats baiting, I have no idea what youre on about.
If they have responded to you and said Its a "feature" then you have your answer? Not sure if you have read this thread on or not, the devs have done their part in updates\bug fixes and implementing quick fixes for issues they can handle. The majority, if not all of these corrections made by devs have to be approved by Mike who has taken a step back for mental health currently.
Perhaps the context youre getting at is a bit off, and so nice of you to read about whats going on with Mike, now you can see why I said Mike should remain the lead developer from preventing these "features" from being a thing, and as stated, save time from going back and needing to fix it later on, after its been exploited for so long. Im not bashing the devs for the current bugs there is, but there would most likely be way less if or when Mike gets more involved with it. During this time, its unsure how long that time would be, and I dont blame him if he finds passion and motivation elsewhere. But until then, we need to show respect and compassion towards him, not question his commitment and his inactiveness to where it feels like we are trying to run all over him by swooping the server away from him.

But whatever Mike decides to do, Im sure it will be for the best, and for the future of the server. Dont get me wrong, the current devs are really great, but its always good to have a 2nd opinion, especially from one that doesnt necessarily play the game, or favorite a certain group of people. That way when he sees a code that someone might deem proper, but really isnt, he can have a say to fix whatever went wrong, such as what happened with the occult necklace buff. Despite it being a typo, atleast Mike looked back and saw it, when perhaps it could have gone unnoticed for a while. Theres plenty of reasons we can talk about on why Mike should remain in charge, but the most important thing is to be here for each other like we have been over the past 10 years+. No doubt we all have good intentions for the server, but its not the same without Mike.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:17 pm

Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:19 pm Theres plenty of reasons we can talk about on why Mike should remain in charge, but the most important thing is to be here for each other like we have been over the past 10 years+. No doubt we all have good intentions for the server, but its not the same without Mike.
No one is suggesting that Mike steps aside, sells the server, or anything else you have said. I think everyone is on the same page about that. We all appreciate the vision and dedication that Mike has for the server. This discussion is about exploring different potential systems that would reduce the pressure on Mike, while properly utilizing the skills and time of the other developers.
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:27 am As I said current bugs with your own guys updates thats been brought up dont get fixed, such as melee hand safespot at olm. The fact it never got fixed, after countlessly telling nazuths, and showing admin ryan, Only makes me believe it was intended for the coders knowledge only and probably been there on purpose and very much intended, especially the braindead way it gets triggered.
As far as this goes, I only see one bug report on the forums that has anything to do with this "olm safespot". It seems to me that there were multiple developers working hard towards a solution. You have to understand that "telling nazuths, and showing admin ryan" isn't going to be a reliable way to get problems solved. There is a lot going on for people both on PkHonor and in real life. The least we can do as players is provide relevant information in an organized way (i.e., post a bug report on the forums.) Honestly I'm not even sure what "safespot" you are referring to because there is no bug report titled anything like "Olm Melee Hand Safespot".

You have implied it several times now. So, lets just clarify your concern. You think that Nazuths is intentionally coding bugs/features into the game that benefit himself and his friends and then refuses to fix them. I strongly believe that this is not true. All code has been officially reviewed by Mike and I'm sure unofficially by other developers on occasion. Nazuths has also consistently shown his willingness to fix bugs when presented with them clearly. While he might have biases as a player (as we all do), he has proven his ability to set those aside as a developer.

Markymark
Premium Donator

Post by Markymark » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:45 pm

Iron adam wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:17 pm
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:19 pm Theres plenty of reasons we can talk about on why Mike should remain in charge, but the most important thing is to be here for each other like we have been over the past 10 years+. No doubt we all have good intentions for the server, but its not the same without Mike.
No one is suggesting that Mike steps aside, sells the server, or anything else you have said. I think everyone is on the same page about that. We all appreciate the vision and dedication that Mike has for the server. This discussion is about exploring different potential systems that would reduce the pressure on Mike, while properly utilizing the skills and time of the other developers.
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:27 am As I said current bugs with your own guys updates thats been brought up dont get fixed, such as melee hand safespot at olm. The fact it never got fixed, after countlessly telling nazuths, and showing admin ryan, Only makes me believe it was intended for the coders knowledge only and probably been there on purpose and very much intended, especially the braindead way it gets triggered.
As far as this goes, I only see one bug report on the forums that has anything to do with this "olm safespot". It seems to me that there were multiple developers working hard towards a solution. You have to understand that "telling nazuths, and showing admin ryan" isn't going to be a reliable way to get problems solved. There is a lot going on for people both on PkHonor and in real life. The least we can do as players is provide relevant information in an organized way (i.e., post a bug report on the forums.) Honestly I'm not even sure what "safespot" you are referring to because there is no bug report titled anything like "Olm Melee Hand Safespot".

You have implied it several times now. So, lets just clarify your concern. You think that Nazuths is intentionally coding bugs/features into the game that benefit himself and his friends and then refuses to fix them. I strongly believe that this is not true. All code has been officially reviewed by Mike and I'm sure unofficially by other developers on occasion. Nazuths has also consistently shown his willingness to fix bugs when presented with them clearly. While he might have biases as a player (as we all do), he has proven his ability to set those aside as a developer.
im not sure if he is or isnt, Im not in his clan, Im not apart of the dev team, and most importantly, I and you are not him, which is why we always have someone like Mike review the code that was added or altered. Only was we can keep an unbiased way of updates from coming in the game, is to keep someone that keeps the game and the community separate, like Mike does. As far as me reporting the bug, I didnt know about it until a few months ago. And when I discovered it, I did raise awareness, and though it wasnt a proper post under glitches, I have made jokes and informed people about the glitch. When a t bow spawn happens, or dupe occurs, I would hope you dont need to wait for a report post to start doing something about it.

But generally I think we should wait, unless Mike wants to pay a 3rd party to essentially take on the role of lead developer, sort of like Billy did with staff team, as a person to keep the community and base server separated. Theres no easy way of going about it, Not unless someone wants to take the role of Hamade or Sami if founding the servers progression?

Wir3d
Honor Player

Post by Wir3d » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:22 pm

Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:45 pm im not sure if he is or isnt, Im not in his clan, Im not apart of the dev team, and most importantly, I and you are not him, which is why we always have someone like Mike review the code that was added or altered. Only was we can keep an unbiased way of updates from coming in the game, is to keep someone that keeps the game and the community separate, like Mike does. As far as me reporting the bug, I didnt know about it until a few months ago. And when I discovered it, I did raise awareness, and though it wasnt a proper post under glitches, I have made jokes and informed people about the glitch. When a t bow spawn happens, or dupe occurs, I would hope you dont need to wait for a report post to start doing something about it.
Not sure if you are understanding this or not, Mike reviews all code and updates before he releases them on the server. There are always going to be bugs\glitches happening with new updates, but that's why they release on test server beforehand to find any error in code and people are rewarded for their time and effort. Even then, there is going to be something that gets overlooked. If you knew about this for months, why not post an official report? If it is a bug\glitch, why do you think it wasnt a proper post under glitches? Is it because you use it to in every raid or that you just don't care to report and rather say " I told others about it and they should fix it ". Ultimately, that's why we a bug\ glitch reporting section, for that exact reason. So devs+ can review reports and see what they need to fix rather than "i told u".
An Iron Noob wrote:This server would be way more successful, have greater player retention, and better, more positive vibes if it weren't for Nazuths and roddycc.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:40 pm

Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:45 pm Only was we can keep an unbiased way of updates from coming in the game, is to keep someone that keeps the game and the community separate, like Mike does.
I disagree with the premise of your argument. Having a developer who is deeply connected with all facets of the game like Nazuths can be a major asset. Especially when it comes to quality of life updates. Sure, biases CAN have a negative effect on the server. However, everyone who has been rewarded with the developer rank has shown that they are capable of setting aside their biases.
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:45 pm And when I discovered it, I did raise awareness, and though it wasnt a proper post under glitches, I have made jokes and informed people about the glitch.
I need you to understand that this type of behavior is exactly what can contribute to developers feeling burnt out or underappreciated. While you may feel like you are raising awareness, there is just too much information on their plate to retain every little bit of information players talk to them about. The best thing we can do as players is to make a detailed bug report on the forums. Then refer the developers to that thread. It creates a permanent place for them to reference the information. Otherwise, every developer is going to have to write down what you say in their own personal notes. They might not even be actively developing for the server due to IRL priorities.
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:45 pm When a t bow spawn happens, or dupe occurs, I would hope you dont need to wait for a report post to start doing something about it.
These are extreme examples. In the case of a gamebreaking bug or dupe, the expectation is to NOT post a bug report. We should immediately message a staff member or developer to make sure the information gets relayed up the chain. A bug like the one you describe falls under the low/medium priority category depending on the details.
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:45 pm But generally I think we should wait, unless Mike wants to pay a 3rd party to essentially take on the role of lead developer, sort of like Billy did with staff team, as a person to keep the community and base server separated. Theres no easy way of going about it, Not unless someone wants to take the role of Hamade or Sami if founding the servers progression?
I don't think any reasonable person expects an immediate change. People are acknowledging that the current development cycle is potentially having a negative impact on the overall health of the server. We want to fix that.
I also do not see what point you are trying to make bringing up 2009-2012 PkHonor. There was nothing exemplary about that period. It was a fun wild west for many people, but I don't think there are any lessons to be learned from it in terms of how to manage an rsps.

Jumping bug
Honor Player

Post by Jumping bug » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:02 pm

Iron adam wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:17 pm

This ^

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:27 am

Andres wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:36 pm It's crucial that the Lead developer (Mike) thoroughly reviews all aspects to ensure a smooth gaming experience.
Nobody wants to deal with rollbacks caused by exploits, bugs, or dupes days later—it's detrimental for both developers and players.
You understand there were 0 updates requiring a rollback in the past 2 years, but there were 2 rollbacks in the past month due to the dev teams inability to release a fix for a bug we diagnosed last month, right? Like this logic holds, if the lead developer is active and flawless. If not, the costs of getting nothing done are greater than the risks of moving too fast. Like I understand the idea behind what you’re saying, it just doesn’t work if the lead developer isn’t extremely efficient.

Dismayed
Premium Donator

Post by Dismayed » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:02 pm

Wir3d wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:22 pm
Markymark wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:45 pm im not sure if he is or isnt, Im not in his clan, Im not apart of the dev team, and most importantly, I and you are not him, which is why we always have someone like Mike review the code that was added or altered. Only was we can keep an unbiased way of updates from coming in the game, is to keep someone that keeps the game and the community separate, like Mike does. As far as me reporting the bug, I didnt know about it until a few months ago. And when I discovered it, I did raise awareness, and though it wasnt a proper post under glitches, I have made jokes and informed people about the glitch. When a t bow spawn happens, or dupe occurs, I would hope you dont need to wait for a report post to start doing something about it.
Not sure if you are understanding this or not, Mike reviews all code and updates before he releases them on the server. There are always going to be bugs\glitches happening with new updates, but that's why they release on test server beforehand to find any error in code and people are rewarded for their time and effort. Even then, there is going to be something that gets overlooked. If you knew about this for months, why not post an official report? If it is a bug\glitch, why do you think it wasnt a proper post under glitches? Is it because you use it to in every raid or that you just don't care to report and rather say " I told others about it and they should fix it ". Ultimately, that's why we a bug\ glitch reporting section, for that exact reason. So devs+ can review reports and see what they need to fix rather than "i told u".
This^... @Markymark -- As a good friend of yours, I have to ask that you please try to give logical and reasonable responses, everything I've read suggest you are adding so much emotional appeal to your post insisting that everyone is turning on Mike.

I'd love to see you give a logical response as to why you disagree with this, other than saying we are trying to strip Mike's pride and joy from him, that's all I ask.