Broadcasts makes this look like a cheap ass private server

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
The underdog
Premium Donator

Broadcasts makes this look like a cheap ass private server

Post by The underdog » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:57 pm

change my mind.

Make the dismiss dismiss the shit for ur ip or not come back for many hours/days ty.
#Justice4Church
#DemoteRyanHeResigned
#capes2presets2k18

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Re: Broadcasts makes this look like a cheap ass private server

Post by Rapsey » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:19 pm

Agreed that dismissal should be remembered, at the very least on the account level.

Disagreed that broadcasts make PkHonor look like a cheap-ass private server.

EDIT: For the record, the broadcasts system was rolled out ASAP to speed up the testing and release of LMS. It was a deliberate choice to do it that way, but we fully intend to polish it further.

James
Premium Donator

Post by James » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:04 am

osrs feature makes private server look cheap

logic

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:09 am

James wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:04 am osrs feature makes private server look cheap

logic
how is this guy not expelled yet???

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:57 am

Rapsey wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:19 pm EDIT: For the record, the broadcasts system was rolled out ASAP to speed up the testing and release of LMS. It was a deliberate choice to do it that way, but we fully intend to polish it further.
Essentially this, we went with a solution which requires minimal client/server communication. Right now it’s just a one way message from the server stating the active broadcast and its info. The client never tells the server it was dismissed. I didn’t wanna maintain a persistent list of dismissed broadcasts client-side. I don’t even really wanna set up a persistent list of broadcasts each player has dismissed server side either. It’s just a lot of compute for a small benefit. Probably we just track it non-persistently in the server. So the only case it’s weird is if a broadcast is active both before and after a server update; if you dismiss it before the server restart, it’ll still show up after. But that’s very minor.

I will do this today for anyone wondering, it should be included in the LMS release

Btw, don’t get me wrong, we totally could store it persistently wherever we want. I just don’t believe in programming in that style. Simple systems are best to maintain.

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:42 pm

James wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:04 am osrs feature makes private server look cheap

logic
New osrs features make osrs look like a private server to me, part of the reason I don't like to play that game.
#Justice4Church
#DemoteRyanHeResigned
#capes2presets2k18

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:59 pm

Think of pkhonor has an rs2/osrs inspired game with its own goals. Not something to be benchmarked against existing games (even though updates may suggest otherwise).

I really do think you just don't like how broadcasts look, which is a totally different objection but still a valid one if that's what you think.

Lil ryan
Premium Donator

Post by Lil ryan » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:09 am

:c came for juciy beef and then its cancelled :c