Staff Project: Helper Re-work!

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Raj
Developer

Re: Staff Project: Helper Re-work!

Post by Raj » Sun May 14, 2023 7:16 am

Iron vok wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:50 am There's a reason mods don't have access to personal information regarding account details. No one needs it aside from the recovery admin.
You would be surprised how many people just happily put their passwords and their PINs in recoveries. Off-topic but if anyone is reading this and ever posts a recovery, do not post your PIN, do not post your password, we don’t want to or need to know them to do the recovery, in fact it’s best as few people have access to identifying/sensitive information as possible. That goes for the suggestion Vok was replying to as well

Iron vok
Honor Player

Post by Iron vok » Sun May 14, 2023 7:30 am

Raj wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:16 am
Iron vok wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:50 am There's a reason mods don't have access to personal information regarding account details. No one needs it aside from the recovery admin.
You would be surprised how many people just happily put their passwords and their PINs in recoveries. Off-topic but if anyone is reading this and ever posts a recovery, do not post your PIN, do not post your password, we don’t want to or need to know them to do the recovery, in fact it’s best as few people have access to identifying/sensitive information as possible. That goes for the suggestion Vok was replying to as well
I am, in fact, not surprised. And it's why I mentioned it :)

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Tue May 16, 2023 2:42 am

Pretty stupid rank overall tbh,

If anyone is deserving of helper rank I think they would be deserving of mod? I’ve always viewed helper ranks as failed mod apps (empty pot 95x)

If there is going to be a buff I think 3-4 simple things;

Add them to ::staff

Allow them to :x teleto

And remove their yell timer cooldown.

I was thinking to give them a 5% exp buff, however if you’re going to accept a helper position you shouldn’t care about the exp buff and cry less

Kash

Post by Kash » Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 am

Adding them to ::staff list (under Helper header) helps the freshies find the right people to contact should they have any questions/issues.

I don't see a need for removing the yell timer - if a player yells needing help, a helper would yell what they can and continue helping in PMs.

::xteleto is a great add-on, though I would like to know what the abuse-limitations would be..

my idea:
if a player "N00b69" asks for help on yell or helpcc regarding a clue step or is lost, a helper would use the command ::xteleto N00b69 but would require N00b69 to accept the xteleto request (much like accepting a ::private command) before being able to tele over.
I would think this would limit abuse of the xteleto command for helpers.

I'm all for having incentives - xp buffs/1-2 less clue steps when clue hunting/extra ::vote points.. are some of my ideas (don't flame me. they're just ideas)

Being a helper is usually a thankless job (anything to do with public service would be) - I definitely would like to see those up to task be incentivised.
Image <-- Click Here!

Panda
Premium Donator

Post by Panda » Tue May 16, 2023 7:06 am

I agree with mostly everyone that the ::xteleto would be a great add-on to assist anyone that needs help anywhere that they're at.
I don't see the purpose of a better yell timer, Yell once and if he needs further assistance, you can always send him a direct message via MSGS.
Adding Helpers to the ::STAFF List will be a great addition to help the new players on who to message without going straight to the mods of the game. Messaging them first and if they can't help then the helper could reach out to the mods.
Small exp boost would be cool for someone trying to reach all 47B stats in all, but for the average player and not really into maxing it wont do much but better then nothing. Activity should be a requirement, if you're a helper but you're never on the game or helping out others, what's the use?

Helpers should be able to assist the new comers to the game and also the vets that's been playing for awhile. Maybe they don't know something, not everyone knows everything. There's always something to be learned about Pkhonor.

:zoidberg:

Jumping bug
Honor Player

Post by Jumping bug » Tue May 16, 2023 7:24 am

Kash wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 am
I don't see a need for removing the yell timer - if a player yells needing help, a helper would yell what they can and continue helping in PMs.
Panda wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:06 am I don't see the purpose of a better yell timer, Yell once and if he needs further assistance, you can always send him a direct message via MSGS.
I absolutely see your guys's point but I don't think there's an issue with a reduced yelltimer. I have never once seen it abused by a staff member repeatedly and any abuse claimed has just been simply a troll teasing staff members. I would honestly love to hear a good argument on why a yelltimer reduction for helpers would be a bad idea or how this could potentially harm the server in a negative way. Spam is annoying but is far from harmful unless it was never taken care of.

And the biggest problem and why I strongly disagree with both of you is that switching to pms completely robs other players on Pkhonor from learning from that players question as well. If a question is asked via yell or help cc, it gives far more than just that one player a chance to learn something new. Consider how one persons question asked publicly can save you from multiple players asking the same question multiple times.

On a busy server when yell is active (not exactly a big issue at present moment), a yelltimer restriction may separate a 1st and 2nd yell explaining the solution to a problem in a short period of time making it more difficult or confusing for the players needing help.

This has been brought up before but I'll bring it up again. Many players have multiple accounts capable of yelling and yet spam yells by the same person hasn't really been a big issue. So I really don't think we have anything to worry about with multiple yells from a helper in a short time span.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Tue May 16, 2023 8:05 am

Jumping bug wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:24 am
Kash wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:28 am
Panda wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:06 am I don't see the purpose of a better yell timer, Yell once and if he needs further assistance, you can always send him a direct message via MSGS.
I absolutely see your guys's point but I don't think there's an issue with a reduced yelltimer. I have never once seen it abused by a staff member repeatedly and any abuse claimed has just been simply a troll teasing staff members. I would honestly love to hear a good argument on why a yelltimer reduction for helpers would be a bad idea or how this could potentially harm the server in a negative way. Spam is annoying but is far from harmful unless it was never taken care of.

And the biggest problem and why I strongly disagree with both of you is that switching to pms completely robs other players on Pkhonor from learning from that players question as well. If a question is asked via yell or help cc, it gives far more than just that one player a chance to learn something new. Consider how one persons question asked publicly can save you from multiple players asking the same question multiple times.

On a busy server when yell is active (not exactly a big issue at present moment), a yelltimer restriction may separate a 1st and 2nd yell explaining the solution to a problem in a short period of time making it more difficult or confusing for the players needing help.

This has been brought up before but I'll bring it up again. Many players have multiple accounts capable of yelling and yet spam yells by the same person hasn't really been a big issue. So I really don't think we have anything to worry about with multiple yells from a helper in a short time span.
Fully agree with you. If the "spam" is some helper yelling something helpful right after they yell that they're buying some items or w.e, then let them spam lmao. I'm curious since someone said even current staff members "abuse" the yell timer and spam. I'd love to see proof and an explanation of why this wasn't brought to Ryan before even considering "yell spam" a concern

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Tue May 16, 2023 8:44 am

So as a little summary :
  • helpers should appear on ::staff, under their own "Helpers" category,
  • should have a better yell timer (half of what premium donor have at least)
  • I love the concept of having a ::xteleto <<Username>> that functions exactly like ::private but it only teleports the helper ( with the other player having to ::accept the teleport)
  • As a reward of their hard work, having a 5%(?) extra experience is more than fine, considering you can't apply for helper, and they are manually picked
  • The last thing, what I fear the most, is the "helper curse". Ever since the rank was brought back, it had a giant curse. Whoever had it, got extremely inactive, rendering the rank pretty much useless. Even Juntow nowadays is just an afking machine. I'd say I got lucky with it since I stepped up to mod quite fast after getting helper. Would love to at least have a 5h-10h playtime requirement per week.

Iron vok
Honor Player

Post by Iron vok » Tue May 16, 2023 10:06 am

Respire1337 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:44 am So as a little summary :
  • I love the concept of having a ::xteleto <<Username>> that functions exactly like ::private but it only teleports the helper ( with the other player having to ::accept the teleport)
  • As a reward of their hard work, having a 5%(?) extra experience is more than fine, considering you can't apply for helper, and they are manually picked
  • The last thing, what I fear the most, is the "helper curse". Ever since the rank was brought back, it had a giant curse. Whoever had it, got extremely inactive, rendering the rank pretty much useless. Even Juntow nowadays is just an afking machine. I'd say I got lucky with it since I stepped up to mod quite fast after getting helper. Would love to at least have a 5h-10h playtime requirement per week.
Honestly sums it up quite well, but I do still feel a Leave of Absence thread for helpers would do really well.

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Tue May 16, 2023 11:08 am

Iron vok wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:06 am
Respire1337 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:44 am So as a little summary :
Honestly sums it up quite well, but I do still feel a Leave of Absence thread for helpers would do really well.
Actually very well pointed. +1