Staff Project: Helper Re-work!

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Ephriam
Honor Player

Re: Staff Project: Helper Re-work!

Post by Ephriam » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:10 am

In my opinion helper rank is fine the way it is. I'd rather the developers work on something that will actually make people want to play the game instead of giving a few nerds an ego boost.

Irons for vote store! (Shit if ya'll don't know how to make this happen I might be able to figure it out with chatgpt).

Nazuths
Developer

Post by Nazuths » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:46 am

Make them more recognizable in-game, don't give extra perks.

Then again, why not just abolish the rank in general. Lost lots of its value to me ever since G2lumbinub's absurd demotion. It's a matter of favoritism whether someone gets Helper rank or not. In that case perks are definitely a no-go. Still curious why G2lumbinub got demoted anyways.

Ryan
Staff Manager

Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:03 pm

Nazuths wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:46 am Make them more recognizable in-game, don't give extra perks.

Then again, why not just abolish the rank in general. Lost lots of its value to me ever since G2lumbinub's absurd demotion. It's a matter of favoritism whether someone gets Helper rank or not. In that case perks are definitely a no-go. Still curious why G2lumbinub got demoted anyways.
Nice attempt to try and get me to hang out some dirty laundry, I'm sure he will tell you HIS side of it, anything past that I'm sure you'll take with a grain of salt anyway. Like certain others did.

Fact of the matter is, helpers haven't been utilized properly in years. Every single person that has obtained the rank has become incredibly inactive for months on end, which has resulted in their demotion (This is speaking generally, I still won't address specific people in public unless it becomes absolutely necessary).

The goal of this change is to make the rank useful again, either that or get rid of it. I'm personally not bothered either way, but I'm happy to go with the majority rules.

Sorazery
Premium Donator

Post by Sorazery » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:48 pm

free g2

Mitrovic
Premium Donator

Post by Mitrovic » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:37 pm

Fungamer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:44 am
Iron podge wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:11 am Aside from Juntow, I rarely see helper accounts online and interacting anyways. I play a little during all times.
... Thats the whole point of a rework.

Juntow is literally the only helper we have left because the rank is in such a bad spot. Props to him for continuing his good efforts despite that.

Iron podge wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:11 am This thread being 4 pages deep made me cackle. Ya'll need to focus on better content
What baffles me is the fact that people think that x, y or z takes away dev time in any way, shape or form. The majority of these 4 pages are pretty much filled with people who don't work on updates. As for some official response by an owner, well, Rapsey (usually) doesn't make content. He's a sysadmin.

Not even that, but, even if he and everyone else on this thread was a developer, what do people think software development entails? Mash a keyboard with the right screen open for 8 hours, with the slightest bit of distraction meaning you have to restart? Do people think a helper rework is going to delay [insert content here] by another 3 months? Pretty much all of the extra functionality coming with the rank that is proposed already exists, it mainly comes down to assigning it to the helper rank. It's likely one of those things that can be done when stuck on a problem with another piece of content, because yeah, sometimes you get stuck. Would you rather have devs stare aimlessly at the same code for hours when they get stuck on something, or take their mind off it for a while and still do something that has a positive impact on the server? Or how about this: Motivation. Maybe a dev just doesnt want to work on a certain piece of content that day. Would you rather have them do nothing at all?

I'm all for the community steering development in a certain direction (e.g "no, dont do osrs nex, finish toa first") but ffs, the entire community can sod off with trying to micromanage every 15 minutes that developers spend on PKH.
Less is more

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:19 pm

The last 3 "good" helpers were me ( I became mod not long after that ), The Builder ( which was very active, helping and after some time becoming trial developer ) and Thoby ( which also became a developer ).

But for the others? The rank is a total curse, and I am sure that even Jousi has requested to get the rank removed after Ryan's first introduction of the helper rank back into the server ( the original 3 were me, The Builder and Jousipamppu).

Wir3d
Honor Player

Post by Wir3d » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:50 pm

Respire1337 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:19 pm The last 3 "good" helpers were me ( I became mod not long after that ), The Builder ( which was very active, helping and after some time becoming trial developer ) and Thoby ( which also became a developer ).

But for the others? The rank is a total curse, and I am sure that even Jousi has requested to get the rank removed after Ryan's first introduction of the helper rank back into the server ( the original 3 were me, The Builder and Jousipamppu).
You also forgot one of the best helpers this server has seen, but i'll let you slide this time.

Lmao the original 3.

Rank is useful for the people that want to help and the community needs to find answers quickly, no extra boost\commands should be given. There are plenty of helpful people on server any time of the day, so the rank shouldn't be missed too much if it was removed.
An Iron Noob wrote:This server would be way more successful, have greater player retention, and better, more positive vibes if it weren't for Nazuths and roddycc.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:04 pm

Ryan wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:03 pm Fact of the matter is, helpers haven't been utilized properly in years. Every single person that has obtained the rank has become incredibly inactive for months on end, which has resulted in their demotion (This is speaking generally, I still won't address specific people in public unless it becomes absolutely necessary).

The goal of this change is to make the rank useful again, either that or get rid of it. I'm personally not bothered either way, but I'm happy to go with the majority rules.
It sounds like the impetus for boosting helper activity is not that there's a need for it but simply because the rank exists.

There's two ways you can look at it. Option one is to view it like staff ranks, meaning you have to perform to keep the rank. We've done it before, with lower activity requirements than mod, so it can definitely work. Though whether those activity requirements did anything to increase their activity is anyone's guess. They were all active players before they got the rank and getting the rank didn't seem to increase their activity or prevent it from declining.

Option two is to see the rank as a visual aid for players with questions, nothing more. If someone is kind, helpful and doesn't mind being approached with questions, we slap a Image on them to make them easily identifiable. In this case there's really not much reason to ever revoke the rank. If the person is no longer kind and helpful, or they've gotten so out of touch with the game that they lack sufficient knowledge to answer basic questions, then sure. But when a helper comes back from a 2 month break, there's really no reason to assume they are no longer a good person to approach with a question.

Of course there's always option three, which is not to have the rank at all.

Brant
Fanatic

Post by Brant » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:17 pm

Rapsey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:04 pm
Option two is to see the rank as a visual aid for players with questions, nothing more. If someone is kind, helpful and doesn't mind being approached with questions, we slap a Image on them to make them easily identifiable. In this case there's really not much reason to ever revoke the rank. If the person is no longer kind and helpful, or they've gotten so out of touch with the game that they lack sufficient knowledge to answer basic questions, then sure. But when a helper comes back from a 2 month break, there's really no reason to assume they are no longer a good person to approach with a question.
Bring back everyone who was a helper in the past, problem solved

Ephriam
Honor Player

Post by Ephriam » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:28 pm

In my opinion the helper rank should just be a symbol of game knowledge and trustworthiness. I don't care too much about activity however if they don't play in years, it should be taken away. But also, I think the helper rank should be a rank you can apply for like mod because becoming a helper does seem like a favoritism position.