A legit post about (the lack of) updates

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Somedudedw
Premium Donator

Re: A legit post about (the lack of) updates

Post by Somedudedw » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:19 pm

Thoby wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:20 pm I'd be interested in something along the lines of an introduction. This is why I suggested introducing some starter achievements to get familiar with the game and introduce all new concepts to newcomers.
If we got some form of unique Combat Achievements, this could essentially cover that. Especially if the rewards for completing them would be seen as desirable for a new player, as well as an older one. It would serve as both a goal, and a bit of a 'how to' along with being the show-off of the server that you described.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:22 pm

Thoby wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:20 pm Would it be possible to have some sort of staff-command that displays the active newcomers (with a fresh IP for example)? I'd love to talk to some of em.
Church wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:25 pm Can you add a message to the chat whenever one of these players makes an account in real time? We already kind of have something like this, but it's not really all that useful.
Both are technically possible, but will require a fair bit of codework seeing as currently this is all done through after-the-fact log analysis.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:31 pm

Rapsey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:22 pm
Thoby wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:20 pm Would it be possible to have some sort of staff-command that displays the active newcomers (with a fresh IP for example)? I'd love to talk to some of em.
Church wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:25 pm Can you add a message to the chat whenever one of these players makes an account in real time? We already kind of have something like this, but it's not really all that useful.
Both are technically possible, but will require a fair bit of codework seeing as currently this is all done through after-the-fact log analysis.
I'm not sure how worth it you think it is. What about just a message with the creation of any new account and then we can sort through who's not an actual new player manually?
Given that most of the time we won't feel the need to start bombarding every new player with PMs instantly it wouldn't amount to much work on our end.

Mandalore
Premium Donator

Post by Mandalore » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:40 pm

What about something simple like a prompt when you login from a new ip that asks the user if they want to be classified as a new player. If yes then the player gets a clan cc tag in help channel as new or a new icon that lasts x amount of time. I see lots of names I don’t recognize from over the years but it’s impossible to know who I’m actually talking to. It would be pretty cool to see that tag and know that I’m helping someone new. I can see how someone would want to not be flagged as a new player though. People can get pretty toxic around ::timeplayed

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:42 pm

Church wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:31 pm I'm not sure how worth it you think it is. What about just a message with the creation of any new account and then we can sort through who's not an actual new player manually?
Given that most of the time we won't feel the need to start bombarding every new player with PMs instantly it wouldn't amount to much work on our end.
I think it would be very worthwhile. Every newcomer that is convinced to stay (even just through the personal attention) is immensely valuable to the server, and any work towards this end will continue paying off over time. As such I believe a change like this is probably just as valuable as a major content update, if not more so.

It's not just for the benefit of the newcomers either. Everyone enjoys playing a lot more when server population goes up.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:47 pm

Rapsey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:42 pm
Church wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:31 pm I'm not sure how worth it you think it is. What about just a message with the creation of any new account and then we can sort through who's not an actual new player manually?
I think it would be very worthwhile. Every newcomer that is convinced to stay (even just through the personal attention) is immensely valuable to the server, and any work towards this end will continue paying off over time. As such I believe a change like this is probably just as valuable as a major content update, if not more so.

It's not just for the benefit of the newcomers either. Everyone enjoys playing a lot more when server population goes up.
If you're willing to give us that kind of tool. Perhaps even an automatically updated list of people who've made their accounts in the past month of so, so we could like check up on them?

I'm happy to put in a lot of effort to give people more personal attention and figuring out what to suggest to help with retention but I just don't know how to go about it other than standing by the tent and hoping to spot a guy pop in.

Mandalore
Premium Donator

Post by Mandalore » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:56 pm

What sort experience is sought out for pkhonor devs? I am only seeking hands on experience with Java( though I’m not sure what languages Pkhonor is coded in). I have experience with C, JS, Python, learning react right now but all of this would immensely help my career (I’m an application developer apprentice)

I guess I should also say I ran a server back in the silab days and coded on that but that’s so many years ago
Last edited by Mandalore on Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:06 pm

Mandalore wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:56 pm What sort experience is sought out for pkhonor devs? I am only seeking hands on experience with Java( though I’m not sure what languages Pkhonor is coded in). I have experience with C, JS, Python, learning react right now but all of this would immensely help my career (I’m an application developer apprentice)
@Nazuths