A legit post about (the lack of) updates

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
The underdog
Premium Donator

Re: A legit post about (the lack of) updates

Post by The underdog » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:23 pm

Solution: Remove Church from varrock square so that 30% doesn't instantly log off.
#Justice4Church
#DemoteRyanHeResigned
#capes2presets2k18

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:58 pm

Btw @Church, it may surprise you to know that in absolute numbers the data shows 60-120 new players trying PkHonor every week (varies depending on time of year, toplist rankings and advertisements). So if we could improve new player retention there's a lot of potential for growth.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:49 pm

Rapsey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:58 pm Btw @Church, it may surprise you to know that in absolute numbers the data shows 60-120 new players trying PkHonor every week (varies depending on time of year, toplist rankings and advertisements). So if we could improve new player retention there's a lot of potential for growth.
I'm glad to have this exact number cause I've estimated it to be a lil less than that before and had people tell me there's no way it's accurate.

I'd love to work on player retention but without knowing why people are leaving it's hard to address the actual issues. Anyone who has actual suggestions feel free to message me here or in game and we can discuss.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:18 am

Rapsey wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:58 pm Btw @Church, it may surprise you to know that in absolute numbers the data shows 60-120 new players trying PkHonor every week (varies depending on time of year, toplist rankings and advertisements). So if we could improve new player retention there's a lot of potential for growth.
Can we identify those players in real time and send them a message to go to a Google form or something when they x-log/log out? Probably you get 1 answer in every 100 players, but if their opinion represents even like 10 others in the group, it's pretty beneficial to get their thoughts. Although I'm also sure it's something blatantly obvious like "well there's no spawn PKing" for at least 50% of cases.

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:42 am

Raj wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:18 am
Can we identify those players in real time and send them a message to go to a Google form or something when they x-log/log out? Probably you get 1 answer in every 100 players, but if their opinion represents even like 10 others in the group, it's pretty beneficial to get their thoughts. Although I'm also sure it's something blatantly obvious like "well there's no spawn PKing" for at least 50% of cases.
Probably because it’s called (PK)Honor and it’s like 1% pk server, and things that have been suggested (great pk revamps) and making it incredibly easy to pk in welfare with a 0 value attached to it just never got implemented.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:05 am

Yeah I think many new players who quit would like to go PKing the moment they log on. Instead of LMS I'd love to see the new duel arena system that OSRS has. Anyone can use any gear in the fight etc etc. Ranked fights could give some GP or a new type of points that scale with some sort of elo system & can be used to buy actual PK sets.

Newer players interested in PVP could earn gp that counts towards their "actual" progression on the game.

Maybe we could get a proper "tutorial" that also explains that you don't need to donate to be among the best (I still see some new people get upset when told they need prem for max cape) alongside a good version of a "server tour" that shows off CoX and ToB for the PVMers

BH shop for some items should be rebalanced. Imagine being completely new player and finding out one of the most basic PK kits from BH costs more than what a t1 emblem gives you.

Vets could chip in and also welfare PK a bit more since most of us are in dh which is way too inaccessible to new players (*cough* reduce ahrim and karil npc range so people will do more risky *cough*)
I know if we use higher risk the new player might get a huge boost in ::wealth if they kill us but lets be real. The noobs running around with rune, dscim & obby cape are just free pkp to us using dh+avernic+feros+comp lol. An incentive to welfare PK could be that we give players using <200m ::wealth (or whatever it is for the wildy diary) to give a bonus. 2x chance on emblem/artifact if the kill is on target, more pkp for a kill, ...

It might be fun to have a custom tutorial island for PKH specifically. Shows em how to use the wiki, what custom whips are, what the ranks mean, ... The basics of PkH that aren't the things OSRS has.

Dunno. These are some loose ideas I have

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:59 pm

Raj wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:18 am Can we identify those players in real time and send them a message to go to a Google form or something when they x-log/log out? Probably you get 1 answer in every 100 players, but if their opinion represents even like 10 others in the group, it's pretty beneficial to get their thoughts. Although I'm also sure it's something blatantly obvious like "well there's no spawn PKing" for at least 50% of cases.
Not in real rime, because it's only after they haven't logged in for like 2 weeks that you can conclude they have truly left. There's also zero incentive for them to do it and while a small percentage might do it anyway, we've always been opposed to these kinds of nagging follow-up e-mails.

Personally I think there are better ways of finding this out (like talking to the newcomers and asking their opinions, statistically almost all of them are going to leave soon so it's not exactly hard to find the right people to ask). I also don't think that the reasons why PkHonor isn't attractive to new players are so mysterious that we need to resort to surveys. Most of us probably know at least 5 major reasons off the top of our heads, and have known all along. This seems more like something you would do after we've put serious effort into the new player experience and then we still can't figure out why they are leaving.

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:20 pm

Fungamer wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:05 am It might be fun to have a custom tutorial island for PKH specifically. Shows em how to use the wiki, what custom whips are, what the ranks mean, ... The basics of PkH that aren't the things OSRS has.
I'd be interested in something along the lines of an introduction. This is why I suggested introducing some starter achievements to get familiar with the game and introduce all new concepts to newcomers. However, a short (skippable) tutorial with cutscenes and interfaces is very possible. If we have an overview of what we would like to show (maybe in categories, so a player can click one of the categories to get a short explanation) this would be addable.
Rapsey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:59 pm Personally I think there are better ways of finding this out (like talking to the newcomers and asking their opinions, statistically almost all of them are going to leave soon so it's not exactly hard to find the right people to ask). I also don't think that the reasons why PkHonor isn't attractive to new players are so mysterious that we need to resort to surveys. Most of us probably know at least 5 major reasons off the top of our heads, and have known all along. This seems more like something you would do after we've put serious effort into the new player experience and then we still can't figure out why they are leaving.
Would it be possible to have some sort of staff-command that displays the active newcomers (with a fresh IP for example)? I'd love to talk to some of em.
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:19 pm

Rapsey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:59 pm Personally I think there are better ways of finding this out (like talking to the newcomers and asking their opinions, statistically almost all of them are going to leave soon so it's not exactly hard to find the right people to ask). I also don't think that the reasons why PkHonor isn't attractive to new players are so mysterious that we need to resort to surveys. Most of us probably know at least 5 major reasons off the top of our heads, and have known all along. This seems more like something you would do after we've put serious effort into the new player experience and then we still can't figure out why they are leaving.
Big agree. A funny thing we used to do was have help mods wait by the newbie spawn point and verbally welcome them into the game, and talk to them a little. Obviously the times are too far gone to really assess how that impacted player retention, but I'd bet my left arm that it helped.

Now we don't want mods to have to do bitch work again, and we also don't have 10+ help mods waiting to do things ingame. But it would be nice if players, helpers, and mods (or any combination thereof) spent a little time doing this actively.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:25 pm

Rapsey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:59 pm
Raj wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:18 am Can we identify those players in real time and send them a message to go to a Google form or something when they x-log/log out? Probably you get 1 answer in every 100 players, but if their opinion represents even like 10 others in the group, it's pretty beneficial to get their thoughts. Although I'm also sure it's something blatantly obvious like "well there's no spawn PKing" for at least 50% of cases.
Not in real rime, because it's only after they haven't logged in for like 2 weeks that you can conclude they have truly left. There's also zero incentive for them to do it and while a small percentage might do it anyway, we've always been opposed to these kinds of nagging follow-up e-mails.

Personally I think there are better ways of finding this out (like talking to the newcomers and asking their opinions, statistically almost all of them are going to leave soon so it's not exactly hard to find the right people to ask). I also don't think that the reasons why PkHonor isn't attractive to new players are so mysterious that we need to resort to surveys. Most of us probably know at least 5 major reasons off the top of our heads, and have known all along. This seems more like something you would do after we've put serious effort into the new player experience and then we still can't figure out why they are leaving.
Can you add a message to the chat whenever one of these players makes an account in real time? We already kind of have something like this, but it's not really all that useful.