Wilderness achievements & additions

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Simon
Honor Player

Re: Wilderness achievements & additions

Post by Simon » Wed May 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Can we please address how these achievements are akin to Steam/Xbox Live achievements — not RS achievements.

Something like dealing 500 total damage with a DFS or running 100 laps at the agil course. What's the point in that? There's nothing interesting about it. It's just a grind.

Now, something like "get a draconic visage drop in the wilderness. Without leaving the wilderness, smith it into a DFS and use it to kill a KBD."

This achievement requires a bit of luck, a bit of skill, but is more a task than a grind.

As far as PVP achievements go — why? This is coming from someone with 5k kills. "Get X kills" achievements are unnecessary; they're just a grind. Incorporate the rewards of PKing into achievements.

-Do X with X BH points. (Eg use a ring of vigour - an untradable 20k bh points reward)
-Using a teleport crystal, teleport to a target and kill them.

I really think each achievement should not take longer than an hour to complete. A good list of tasks and you've got a good achievement diary.
Last edited by Simon on Wed May 24, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grizzly mint
Premium Donator

Post by Grizzly mint » Wed May 24, 2017 7:04 pm

We've been trying to tell you this whole time, you can't prevent boosting. Any player vs player requirement can, and will be boosted in some way. While I do think a wilderness diary would be a neat update, it's more of an excuse to remove the 500 kill requirement because of the complaints. Not to prevent boosting, because really your turning 1 boostable requirement into 5.

100 edge kills - same thing as 500, going to be boosted. If anything it will increase boosting. 100 kills takes a lot less time to boost than 500, which means less time to get caught.
100 deep kills - most DEFINATELY going to be boosted.
500 DFS damage - everyone that enters wildy without a DFS will be barraged by DFS specs from every pker going for this achievement.
100 damage on 10 people - basically a requirement to annoy the first 10 people you see. Which could result in ragging. Example: attack someone for 100 damage. They say "fuck you, l2pk". Game on.

There needs to be a written rule enforcing "no boosting". i don't understand why you guys are so against it.

Wir3d
Honor Player

Post by Wir3d » Wed May 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Last I heard there was going to be a new boosting rule introduced, this was back in april. With the addition of these new achievements to do, I think we need to rework some of the punishments and rules for wildy. Aka rushing, ragging, and boosting.
An Iron Noob wrote:This server would be way more successful, have greater player retention, and better, more positive vibes if it weren't for Nazuths and roddycc.

Gethigh udie
Premium Donator

Post by Gethigh udie » Wed May 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Jon wrote:Neato,
Just a few questions:

For those of us who were already forced into the wilderness once before (already have comp capes), why should we be forced to enter the wilderness yet again to wear a cape we already worked for? Is it solely to boost wilderness activity just because this is PkHonor?

What happens when everyone does obtain these new wilderness requirements, and the wilderness becomes empty again? Will they just be tossed away and redone to boost wilderness activity again?
Exactly, id like to say im not a pker whatsoever but its a very big part of the game and i did not complain at all about the requirement, completed it legit. Because thats what getting comp is about, completing all aspects of the game, whether or not its your strong suit. And then have to re-do? Simply unfair to all that have put in the work taking weeks even months to achieve. I thought this was going to be a substitute for the 500 kill req. (which i don't agree with, 500 kill requirement should stay, and new requirements should be introduced, like the diaries, should have to complete both) One or the other. Not "oh we feel everyone boosted (when plenty more have done legit) so now everyone has to do this req for comp. If anything 500 kill req should stand, and this should be a new requirement on-top of it. No one is mad or complaining that new content is being released or new requirements for comp, let all the new requirements come, but don't take away ones that are already there. its the fact YOU put the 500 kill requirement there, plenty of players have put in the time and effort to achieve it, an then they get shafted cause a few wanna boost it. If anything id say more have just geared and went and killed pvmers, skillers to achieve it then boost, not sure why you feel "if not most" have been boosted, when all you have to do is kill pvmers and agility trainers. Or simply get your rune and welfare at edge. which most have done including myself. Make boosting bannable, Write a rule stating, its bannable and against the rules. Either way, these diaries will not stop boosting. Everyone should have to do both the wildy diaries and the 500 kill req to achieve comp cape. Also, having requirements solely based off rng (obtaining a certain drop) and not skill, isn't a great idea imo. Should be a set amount of kills without leaving, or something more of the direction of taking skill and not based off luck. As grizzly mint said, 100 kills at edge will still be boosted, 100 kills deep will still be boosted, it seems some of the achievements you mentioned will simply result in more boosting, ragging, flaming, etc.
Last edited by Gethigh udie on Wed May 24, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Wed May 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Simon wrote:Can we please address how these achievements are akin to Steam/Xbox Live achievements — not RS achievements.

Something like dealing 500 total damage with a DFS or running 100 laps at the agil course. What's the point in that? There's nothing interesting about it. It's just a grind.
Again, that's what this topic is there for. The tasks we listed are just some initial ideas to give you guys a starting point. Think of them more as placeholders, e.g. the 100 agi laps task is there because we have yet to come up with a good task surrounding the agility arena. We don't want it to be a grind either.
Grizzly mint wrote:We've been trying to tell you this whole time, you can't prevent boosting. Any player vs player requirement can, and will be boosted in some way. While I do think a wilderness diary would be a neat update, it's more of an excuse to remove the 500 kill requirement because of the complaints. Not to prevent boosting, because really your turning 1 boostable requirement into 5.
And I've been trying to tell you this whole time: we know it's impossible to completely prevent boosting. But we can make it significantly harder to do, which should lead to less boosting. Just because we can't prevent it 100% doesn't mean it's not worth improving, right?
Grizzly mint wrote:100 edge kills - same thing as 500, going to be boosted. If anything it will increase boosting. 100 kills takes a lot less time to boost than 500, which means less time to get caught.
Exactly the same as the 500 kills except you can only do it in a small area where there's always people. Therefore it will be a lot harder to boost without being noticed. Honestly, any task that requires a number of PvP kills can only be made harder-to-boost by restricting the location so it's harder to do it unseen.
Grizzly mint wrote:100 deep kills - most DEFINATELY going to be boosted.
Same deal, this used to be MB partly for the same reason. It's harder to get away with boosting if you can't do it in any quiet corner of the wilderness. It's not great but at least it's better than 500 kills anywhere.
Grizzly mint wrote:500 DFS damage - everyone that enters wildy without a DFS will be barraged by DFS specs from every pker going for this achievement.
You think? 500 damage isn't that much and since DFS is already used a lot in wild I expect most people will get this one completed without doing anything special.
Grizzly mint wrote:100 damage on 10 people - basically a requirement to annoy the first 10 people you see. Which could result in ragging. Example: attack someone for 100 damage. They say "fuck you, l2pk". Game on.
I agree, I do not like this challenge myself.
Grizzly mint wrote:There needs to be a written rule enforcing "no boosting". i don't understand why you guys are so against it.
Oh no, that's a misunderstanding. We're not against it, in fact I am in favor of such a rule. What I'm very much against is relying only on a rule to counter boosting. I'm against the idea of "let's just shove it on the staff team's plate so we can keep relying on challenges that are ridiculously easy and tempting to boost". IMO we should do what we can to make things harder to boost and then also add a rule against boosting. Main reason there's no such rule yet is because if we add the rule first people will just go: "just leave the 500 kills req, boosting is already fixed now". It's also cleaner to add the rule together with the new challenges. That way you don't get this arbitrary situation where 99% of the people who boosted the 500 kills req walk free and only the ones who did it in the last X weeks of its existence get shafted.

Gethigh udie
Premium Donator

Post by Gethigh udie » Wed May 24, 2017 8:12 pm

In my opinion, it will not make it significantly harder to boost. Just faster only having to get to 100, rather then 500.

James
Premium Donator

Post by James » Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Gethigh udie wrote:In my opinion, it will not make it significantly harder to boost. Just faster only having to get to 100, rather then 500.
Did you even bother reading what Rapsey said or did you just look at the figures and decide to make a post?

Having 100 kills limited to edgeville will result in people being less likely to boost because it is difficult to get away with boosting in such a small space. The 500 kills were in the entire wilderness, meaning dragonboy83, yahmed and abd el pat could sit in a corner boosting their way to 500 without ever being seen.

Phat n specs
Novice

Post by Phat n specs » Wed May 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Why do all the current completionist owners need to get the reqs again?... Okay, some people boosted, but the ones who got it legit are being left out. All the hours of work grinding for the cape, basicly for nothing cause there's an update that needs them to redo everything? Seems a bit demotivating...

I'd suggest to let people wear their comp capes, but they need to do the tasks again to complete the achievement diary.

Gethigh udie
Premium Donator

Post by Gethigh udie » Wed May 24, 2017 9:08 pm

James wrote:
Gethigh udie wrote:In my opinion, it will not make it significantly harder to boost. Just faster only having to get to 100, rather then 500.
Did you even bother reading what Rapsey said or did you just look at the figures and decide to make a post?

Having 100 kills limited to edgeville will result in people being less likely to boost because it is difficult to get away with boosting in such a small space. The 500 kills were in the entire wilderness, meaning dragonboy83, yahmed and abd el pat could sit in a corner boosting their way to 500 without ever being seen.
Oh i read it, i'm not just talking about it being limited to edgeville as they stated 100 DEEP kills also, (probably a mid-level requirement as well). Obviously blatantly boosting at edgeville will make it much harder for those that do. But they will just make it seem like fights, stage em in their welfare gear and still boost (obviously doing it to much will make it noticeable)... Did you read it? Cause what is the difference in going deep to boost 500, compared to 100? Or staging fights at edgeville, but friends letting them get the kill? I'm simply bring up points and a opinion, that could be discussed. (Plus like i said im all for the achievement diaries, more then just wildy bring out others. Narrowing down the boosters, and cheaters. And all for more requirements for comp.)

James
Premium Donator

Post by James » Wed May 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Gethigh udie wrote:Oh i read it, i'm not just talking about it being limited to edgeville as they stated 100 DEEP kills also, (probably a mid-level requirement as well). Obviously blatantly boosting at edgeville will make it much harder for those that do. But they will just make it seem like fights, stage em in their welfare gear and still boost (obviously doing it to much will make it noticeable)... Did you read it? Cause what is the difference in going deep to boost 500, compared to 100? Or staging fights at edgeville, but friends letting them get the kill? I'm simply bring up points and a opinion, that could be discussed. (Plus like i said im all for the achievement diaries, more then just wildy bring out others. Narrowing down the boosters, and cheaters. And all for more requirements for comp.)
Mike wrote: [*]Get 100 kills in Edgeville wilderness (up to level 5)
[*]Get 100 kills near the mage bank
As previously said by Rapsey, this will not stop boosting. However, it will significantly lower the rates. By introducing zones where the kills must be achieved you are obviously going to limit the amount of boosting as people cannot run into a far corner and kill each other. Once again, the 500 kills were everywhere. The 100 kills are limited to a zone. It's really not that complicated, I don't see how you can't see the correlation between a smaller area resulting in less room to boost. Staging fights cannot be prevented. If you would rather go through the effort of staging 100 fights than just do the kills be my guest. Good luck getting more than a handful of people willing to do this with you and someone not catching on to it.

I'm not going to bother responding to you again if you still can't see the difference between the two. Best of luck with your endeavors, amigo.