Sorry for letting y'all down

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Tobias
Honor Player

Re: Sorry for letting y'all down

Post by Tobias » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:32 pm

No pity wrote:I understand most people will simply say "It's ok Mike, we understand" and from a perspective of Mike's well-being it is, I'm doing 9 hours work a day unpaid I understand how hard shit can be, but as a game it isn't simply "ok".

PkHonor has had a huge decline in players and if you analyse the website with analytics you'll see the game is slumping right back down to where it was before regardless of the epic content we have. In short; it's dieing, again.

Mike, is there no way you can hire some secondary developers that makes code for you and you take it then make minor tweaks and iron out the flaws? That way they're essentially doing the leg work and you don't have to trust them with anything.
I agree with this.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

I'm gone.

Blahblahdie
Fanatic

Post by Blahblahdie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:36 pm

Damn, too bad you and Adam aren't on good terms.
I remember he did work for you in the past, he'd be perfect as a 2nd developer.

But that would only be possible if y'all reconciled your past or whatever.

Rrt38
Donator

Post by Rrt38 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Blahblahdie wrote:Damn, too bad you and Adam aren't on good terms.

I would not trust someone who would quit the game over lost pixels as a secondary developer.

Blahblahdie
Fanatic

Post by Blahblahdie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:03 pm

Rrt38 wrote:

I would not trust someone who would quit the game over lost pixels as a secondary developer.
That's not the adam I'm referring to.

If you think I'm referring to ' Gods Music', you're completely insane.

Omfgags
Donator

Post by Omfgags » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Dude you're a hard worker and basically single programmer, if you feel like you need a little break or more time, go right ahead. I can't even begin to comtemplate how much work you do.

Hayden
Elite

Post by Hayden » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:34 pm

Gmuse or Stein? I'd shit myself if I found out gmuse was a competent programmer

OT: Didn't Dylan do work for you in the past as well? Maybe you could ask him to help with small things?

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Hayden wrote:

Gmuse or Stein? I'd shit myself if I found out gmuse was a competent programmer

OT: Didn't Dylan do work for you in the past as well? Maybe you could ask him to help with small things?
Obviously Stein.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:15 pm

No pity wrote:I understand most people will simply say "It's ok Mike, we understand" and from a perspective of Mike's well-being it is, I'm doing 9 hours work a day unpaid I understand how hard shit can be, but as a game it isn't simply "ok".

PkHonor has had a huge decline in players and if you analyse the website with analytics you'll see the game is slumping right back down to where it was before regardless of the epic content we have. In short; it's dieing, again.

Mike, is there no way you can hire some secondary developers that makes code for you and you take it then make minor tweaks and iron out the flaws? That way they're essentially doing the leg work and you don't have to trust them with anything.
Not much I can do about it at the moment. Even if I were to hire another developer right now, I'd need to spend a whole lot of time training him before he can start bringing actual contributions. Time I simply do not have at the moment. In the long run, it would definitely be interesting for us to have an extra pair of hands for programming, but as long as I am unable to work on PkHonor, I can't do much about it.

Don't think I haven't noticed the decline in the past month. However, it's only small and we still have 3x as many players now as we had 6 months ago. At the moment the player amount is even pretty stable.
I'll try to release the pet update as soon as possible and definitely before the end of my internship though. Updates like those will keep a steady playerbase and further improvements on combat will help us gain even more. It's just a tough period right now, but we'll get through it - we always have.

Also, if someone were to 'work some things out' without access to the source code, they probably wouldn't be able to do much good. They won't be able to properly test their work, and I would spend more time fixing and integrating their work into PkHonor than it would take me to do it myself.
And I'm not going to entrust my source code - worth a fortune - into the hands of someone I do not trust 100%. So if I'm going to hire someone, it will be someone that I know IRL and can trust.

Thanks everyone for your support though. It's much appreciated. Eventually your patience will be rewarded ;)

Blahblahdie
Fanatic

Post by Blahblahdie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Mike wrote:

Not much I can do about it at the moment. Even if I were to hire another developer right now, I'd need to spend a whole lot of time training him before he can start bringing actual contributions. Time I simply do not have at the moment. In the long run, it would definitely be interesting for us to have an extra pair of hands for programming, but as long as I am unable to work on PkHonor, I can't do much about it.

Don't think I haven't noticed the decline in the past month. However, it's only small and we still have 3x as many players now as we had 6 months ago. At the moment the player amount is even pretty stable.
I'll try to release the pet update as soon as possible and definitely before the end of my internship though. Updates like those will keep a steady playerbase and further improvements on combat will help us gain even more. It's just a tough period right now, but we'll get through it - we always have.

Also, if someone were to 'work some things out' without access to the source code, they probably wouldn't be able to do much good. They won't be able to properly test their work, and I would spend more time fixing and integrating their work into PkHonor than it would take me to do it myself.
And I'm not going to entrust my source code - worth a fortune - into the hands of someone I do not trust 100%. So if I'm going to hire someone, it will be someone that I know IRL and can trust.
Find a female if you can, they won't stop until that shit's perfect ;)

Lol anyways, I was always under the impression that Dylan had a bit of knowledge on what your job entails.
If so, wouldn't it be possible for him to kind of help out (seeing as if he wanted too)?
I mean, I know you said you don't have time to go over all the stuff with the person etc etc, but obviously you must trust Dylan to some extent, not to mention have other means of communicating with him outside of pkh.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Blahblahdie wrote: Find a female if you can, they won't stop until that shit's perfect ;)

Lol anyways, I was always under the impression that Dylan had a bit of knowledge on what your job entails.
If so, wouldn't it be possible for him to kind of help out (seeing as if he wanted too)?
I mean, I know you said you don't have time to go over all the stuff with the person etc etc, but obviously you must trust Dylan to some extent, not to mention have other means of communicating with him outside of pkh.
I have been talking to Dylan in recent months, but nothing has been definitively decided yet. So I'm not going to comment on that for the time being.