A status update

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Jumping bug
Honor Player

Re: A status update

Post by Jumping bug » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:50 am

I understand the frustration with Mike putting towards effort into things like the easter stuff because players feel that's not as important as other needed updates but as others have mentioned, this is Mikes game, Mikes server.

Perhaps working on the easter stuff is what he felt he could do right now and what would make him happier with his depression struggles.

Pkhonor is community driven but not community run. We are free to leave and go play a different server if we don't like how things are here or start a server of our own tailored to what we like or want to happen.

I think it's far too easy to complain about things we don't have rather than to appreciate the things we do have. For me personally, I am extremely grateful to just simply have a wonderful server to come play in my free time, a server that I love and have hundreds of friends I get to interact with on a regular basis. I choose to cherish these moments because its truly a blessing to even have a server like Pkhonor in the first place. I will always choose Pkhonor in its current state than no Pkhonor at all.

Jon
Honor Player

Post by Jon » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:57 am

I love you <3

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:03 pm

Will be ok2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:09 pm My comment was deleted on the Easter thread so maybe this one is more fitting.

Most people can understand going through depression, ups and downs, rough times in general. Everyone feels for you and wishes you all the best with feeling better.

With that being said you just invested a healthy amount of time into an Easter event that literally nobody asked for, that the community has been trolling about since recognizing you’ve been online the past few days. Which maybe you’ve noticed or maybe you haven’t.

It’s very clear that everyone is anticipating Raj’s combat achievements to be the “next update”. It’s gone through two betas and have been tested for an extensive period of time now. So during your “down time” why not allow this update to be pushed through? Why continue to bottle neck the people within your corner?

There comes a point where when you reject the help you need for so long, eventually that help will no longer be available when you recognize you should’ve taken it from the start. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen here.
I understand the frustration, and I reckognize that many of you have probably shown more patience than I deserve. For those who don't struggle with the psychological and emotional issues that I have, it probably doesn't seem to make much sense what I do or why I do it. I can't blame you for it, although the negative comments isn't what I needed. Constructive criticism, asking me if I'm going to release the combat achievements anytime soon, sure, that's fine. But saying I did something that "literally nobody asked for" doesn't quite help with trying to bring up the energy I need to do what needs to be done. I may be an overly sensitive person, no denying there, and I can't expect others to take into account or tip-toe around my sensitivities, but constructive criticism really is the best way forward for everyone involved.

What Marymark said pretty much encompasses what I feel - I felt like making an easter event, so I did that. It may not be what you guys want the most right now, but it's what I wanted to do and something that helped me get back on track with working on this game as I so badly want to. If anything, I should probably work out more of similar small projects, to keep coding PkHonor fun, keep me motivated and give me the energy I need to do the things I dread doing (like reviewing and releasing the work of other coders, which is undoubtedly the least enjoyable and most stressful part, because reading code is just plain boring and it's very stressful to release something without fully knowing how everything works and whether it'll introduce major bugs or dupes).

In my defence, designing and coding the easter event only took me a day and a half to do. Nothing too big and nothing that I wanted to spend too much time on, holiday events are only temporary, but it's something I wanted to do to get back into coding after being absent for several months.

Now I'd like to get the combat achievements out, along with a couple of smaller updates that are (pretty much) ready for release. One thing at a time. Let's keep this train rolling.

Will be ok2 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:36 am [...] i just simply believe its in Mikes, Rapseys + PKH's best interest for the current dev's to make a system which allows them to make live updates on their own accord without needing hopeless reviewing.
Can't quite disagree with this. It's something we're working toward, and one of mine and Rapsey's next long-term goals. It has quite some technical difficulties to overcome given our current dev system, but we're working on that.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:55 pm

Mike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:03 pm If anything, I should probably work out more of similar small projects, to keep coding PkHonor fun, keep me motivated and give me the energy I need to do the things I dread doing
Completely agree. Working on small projects with achievable outcomes is the best way to build momentum and confidence in any area of life. I do the same whenever I am struggling with something.

The easter event was a great balance of difficulty and fun. It felt very similar to when a new piece of content gets released on OSRS and everyone is racing to figure out the mechanics. Being on the island made most of us think inside the box too much. Some of the solutions only came to us when we started to think outside the box. I even joked about going to the mirrors from Desert Treasure in the desert to evaporate the salt, and to our surprise, the desert actually worked.

Mike wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:03 pm Now I'd like to get the combat achievements out, along with a couple of smaller updates that are (pretty much) ready for release. One thing at a time. Let's keep this train rolling.
Keep doing whatever you think you can do for now. We will all help out as best as we can.

Isaac
Honor Player

Post by Isaac » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:55 am

Hey Mike, as always take as much time as you need. This is your baby, your passion project, and we are eternally grateful that it came into existence in the first place!

Wishing you all the best, always here to lend an ear if you need it!

Kylo ren
Honor Player

Post by Kylo ren » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:16 am

I won’t pretend that I know what you’re going through. I’ve been depressed before for extended periods of time, but I’ve never been clinically diagnosed with any sort of depression. So I don’t know how hard it is to deal with the feelings you have.

However, the best thing you can do for that is to do the things that make you happy. Additionally, sunlight, and exercise also helps a lot.

If you ever want to talk, feel free to send me a message. I deal with a lot of people who suffer from depression and other mental health issues in my line of work, so if you ever just want to talk, or just someone to listen to, I’m your guy.

Love ya Mike :)