Apology

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Patel
Advisor

Re: Apology

Post by Patel » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:00 pm

Rapsey wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:56 pm
Patel wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:54 pm Since I couldn't phrase it any better myself, "The idea of “Black people selling Black people” into slavery is a distortive shorthand used to minimize and deflect culpability – and to shame people into silence against demands for justice and reparation."
I think what you've just demonstrated there is the distortive bias of the US education system that "we mustn't let the facts of history get in the way of our narrative that white people above all others were the guilty ones". Which is precisely why I brought it up. It's so sad to see a whole generation buying into this warped view of history because they truly believe that their teachers are providing them with an accurate unbiased account.

The mere fact that your AP classes felt the need to frame this in terms of culpability illustrates this quite nicely. Actual unbiased history courses simply stick to teaching the facts of history and don't concern themselves with steering the students' judgement on who bears guilt to align with what they think it should be. It's quite revealing that your classes deemed it necessary to defend against information that could threaten the picture they wanted to portray.
This is fun, because I didn't pull this from my AP course, I just mentioned that we knew about africans slaving other africans from AP World. The view that those in power should've been responsible for life in Africa is my own, and the fact that it was Europeans after the 16th century is just plain history

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:02 pm

Well, if we ever do another potcast I would love to hear the rationale for your views. Should be fun indeed.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:04 pm

Rapsey wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:02 pm Well, if we ever do another potcast I would love to hear the rationale for your views. Should be fun indeed.
Given that I'm almost unemployed for the forseeable future, I'd be down to schedule one during an upcoming weekend :P

Iron bubble
Premium Donator

Post by Iron bubble » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:28 pm

Patel wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:04 pm
Rapsey wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:02 pm Well, if we ever do another potcast I would love to hear the rationale for your views. Should be fun indeed.
Given that I'm almost unemployed for the forseeable future, I'd be down to schedule one during an upcoming weekend :P
Wait till october so I can spam the n word.
Roasted by King Roald...

Sir Bubbles

Iron bubble