Nex work in progress and boss instances

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

Nex work in progress and boss instances

Post by Mike » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:16 pm

Lately, I have been working on Nex, most importantly putting it in the ancient prison like in OSRS and giving it a number of new drops, including the zaryte bracelet, nihil horn (to create the zaryte crossbow) and of course the Nexling pet.

Progress has been slow but steady. The ancient prison has been fully added with all its minions to obtain the killcount. The minions have their characteristics and special attacks. Large chunks of code for the Last Journey quest have been rewritten so the last part of the quest takes place in the new ancient prison rather than the old area. So far, so good.

The Nex room itself turned out to be more complex to work out. Nex currently has two public instances (one for regular players and one for morphed players) and two different "private" instances for ironmen and players who are completing the Last Journey quest.
However, we want to rework Nex to work just like the Nightmare, where there is just one public instance for both regular and ironman players and having its hitpoints scale according to the amount of players, while also keeping the private instance for the quest. This requires a rewriting of how the Nex instances work.

Rather than trying to incorporate the new instances into the existing game code and into the outdated instance management, I decided to write up a whole new boss instance management from scratch. Working out a new instance management has been a major item on my to-do list for the better part of the past year, but I never quite managed to work out all of the complexities of instances that take place behind the scenes.

Today, I finally managed to finish my work on a new instance management system. Not only for Nex, but potentially also for the Nightmare and other bosses. It has been quite a challenge, but I believe we now have a proper base to work with so that additional (and hopefully bug-free) instances and paid instances for several bosses can finally turn out to be a reality in the near future.

Church
Premium Donator

Re: Nex work in progress and boss instances

Post by Church » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:55 pm

What other areas would this type of instancing be used at?

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:54 pm

If we are making major changes to Nex for Ironmen, then we should make sure that the new system isn't wildly different in terms of drops per effort.

If getting drops becomes harder, then the Ironmen who have already grinded Nex benefit massively. If getting drops becomes easier, then the work of those endgame Ironmen will be devalued.

Whatever this new system is, the "drops per effort" should stay the same whether an Ironman is soloing or in a mass.

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:41 am

Zaryte bracelet?
Surely vambraces hey?

Onestar
Premium Donator

Post by Onestar » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:55 am

Unlike nightmare though, will Nex still allow the use of honors to help your main or y'all just eliminating the use of honors all together with these new instance blocking honors from helping..

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:24 am

Onestar wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:55 am Unlike nightmare though, will Nex still allow the use of honors to help your main or y'all just eliminating the use of honors all together with these new instance blocking honors from helping..
I hope honors would still be allowed. Would kinda devalue the entire rank if the best you can use it on is gwd bosses which are made trivial by spending half the amount a honor status costs on gear.

Onestar
Premium Donator

Post by Onestar » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:42 pm

Fungamer wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:24 am
Onestar wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:55 am Unlike nightmare though, will Nex still allow the use of honors to help your main or y'all just eliminating the use of honors all together with these new instance blocking honors from helping..
I hope honors would still be allowed. Would kinda devalue the entire rank if the best you can use it on is gwd bosses which are made trivial by spending half the amount a honor status costs on gear.

I hope too, but never know.. I have a feeling honors are slowly fading away.. wasted money I suppose

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 am

Onestar wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:42 pm
Fungamer wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:24 am

I hope too, but never know.. I have a feeling honors are slowly fading away.. wasted money I suppose
I’m doing some donor related work and maybe I’ll set up some nerfs for like ::food and ::pray and ::i so that honors can do raids with people without breaking the game

By nerfs, I mean disallowing the commands in raids. Seems preferable to not being able to use the commands in raids anyway since you can’t enter raids in the first place

Khilla
Senior Moderator

Post by Khilla » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:58 pm

Raj wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 am I’m doing some donor related work and maybe I’ll set up some nerfs for like ::food and ::pray and ::i so that honors can do raids with people without breaking the game

By nerfs, I mean disallowing the commands in raids. Seems preferable to not being able to use the commands in raids anyway since you can’t enter raids in the first place
Why not just make it so honors can do raids with only other honors, with normal commands (maybe working ovls in raids too?). Lets people learn cox with max gear so they can be comfortable when less than max gear on a main, which seems a fair use case for an honor.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:49 pm

Khilla wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:58 pm
Raj wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 am I’m doing some donor related work and maybe I’ll set up some nerfs for like ::food and ::pray and ::i so that honors can do raids with people without breaking the game

Why not just make it so honors can do raids with only other honors, with normal commands (maybe working ovls in raids too?). Lets people learn cox with max gear so they can be comfortable when less than max gear on a main, which seems a fair use case for an honor.
More complex, and that use case is covered by just allowing them in raids in general. Though it seems people dislike the idea of allowing them in raids so it’s possible