Food and potion sharing in ToB

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

Food and potion sharing in ToB

Post by Mike » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:38 pm

I'm glad to announce that I have finally managed to code in the last two rooms of the Theatre of Blood: Xarpus and Verzik Vitur. Xarpus took me about a week to make, while Verzik has taken me almost three weeks to add. A lot more work (and lines of code) than I initially anticipated, but if that's what it takes to add a Theatre of Blood experience that's as close as possible to the real thing, why not.

Either way, now that those final rooms are of the way, I just have just a few more TODO's before the public beta release on our testserver, which should hopefully not take too long:
  • Handing out rewards to players
  • Scythe of Vitur
  • Lil'zik
  • Sanguinesti staff
  • Avernic defender
  • Ghrazi Rapier
  • justiciar armour
  • Handling deaths in the Theatre
There is however one thing which I do not yet have the answer to: food and potions within the Theatre.
As experienced ToB players from OSRS will undoubtedly know, a much used technique is to drop food and potions on the floor to share them with team members who might need them or in case you die.

But what if the other person is an Ironman Mode player? Should we simply allow regular players to transfer, say, an inventory full of overloads to an Ironman Mode player? Or would we have to keep track of what irons picked up and destroy them as they leave the Theatre? I'm hoping the community can help me provide the answer to this question.

Either way, I'll keep on working in the meantime and check back on this topic from time to time. Hopefully I'll be able to do the public beta release tomorrow if all goes well (and if people can answer me this one question).

Fungamer
Developer

Re: Food and potion sharing in ToB

Post by Fungamer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Maybe only allow irons to pick up rockies, sara brews and super prays? They're not hard to get as an iron, especially at the stage they do ToB, but it still promotes team play & prevents "harder" items to obtain such as overloads to be tranferred

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Is there a way to mark items as transferred and despawn them after the run? Or if adding a field to those items is a weird exception to make then you could count how many doses of each pot players bring in or buy inside, also count the number they drink inside or drop, then subtracting the former from the latter and adding their leftover doses should give you the number of extra doses they obtained, which could be despawned after.

Ross
Premium Donator

Post by Ross » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Can't you just handle it like OSRS does and have it so Ironman accounts can't pickup items normal players drop but normal accounts can still pick eachothers items up?

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 pm

I don't know if this is too much work, or even possible for that matter. But what those items dropped in the chamber were changed to a different item id and were unusable outside of the chambers for ironmen?

or just this:
Ross wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:19 pm Can't you just handle it like OSRS does and have it so Ironman accounts can't pickup items normal players drop but normal accounts can still pick eachothers items up?
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Monys
Forum Addict

Post by Monys » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Ross wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:19 pm Can't you just handle it like OSRS does and have it so Ironman accounts can't pickup items normal players drop but normal accounts can still pick eachothers items up?
I agree with this. I think this should remain the same.

Don't you get pts per wave that you can purchase extra supplies?

Remember to ::vote for "Mony" ingame

Proud member of PkHonor

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:33 pm

Nazuths
Developer

Post by Nazuths » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Thierryu1 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:33 pm

Thacommunity
Honor Player

Post by Thacommunity » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 pm

The answer seems kinda straightforward and the easiest solution as well. Just continue the rules and dynamic of iron man mode by not allowing them to pick up unintended items. To do so kinda defeats the whole purpose and integrity of being an ironman does it not? As much as Id like the community regardless of whom where or how they do it to be able to interact with each other. What exactly is the point of having an ironman mode that isnt allowing you to be a true ironman? Idk its possible im being bias but doesnt really make sense at all, and seems like a tedious unneeded roadblock. I believe the realistic solution is to not jeapordize the integrity of those account builds and implement the game as intended.

Ridds alt
One Hit Wonder

Post by Ridds alt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:28 am

I don't believe they should be able to share items. As someones already mentioned it pretty much just defeats the purpose of an Ironman. They aren't able to share outside of TOB then they shouldn't be able to share/trade inside TOB either. On another note im pumped for TOB!