PvP damage cap change

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

What should we change about hits in PvP?

Do not display a higher hit than your opponent has hitpoints at the time a hit lands
10%
Display the damage roll of your hit regardless of the opponent's hitpoints
46%
Don't give extra combat XP when an opponent heals in between
4%
Give extra combat XP when an opponent heals in between
29%
Actually, I want tick eating to remain a thing, so please don't implement any of these changes
10%

Total votes: 68

Mike
Programmer

PvP damage cap change

Post by Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Up until now, whenever a player is about to take fatal damage but eats food before the hit lands, they will still survive. This is because the damage of a hit is capped at the current hitpoints of your opponent at the time you initiate an attack.

OSRS also used to have this particular mechanic up until September 2016, when they allowed players to hit higher than the current hitpoints of their opponent. So you could hit a 90 on someone with only 2 hitpoints. Note that the XP drop in OSRS is not more than the current hitpoints of your opponent, so even if you hit for 90 on a player with 2 HP, you'd still only get the combat XP for a hit of 2 damage.

It seems quite clear to me that the community also wants us to get rid of tick eating by removing the capping of damage, so that you can't survive endlessly just by timing your eating right. However, two things need to be decided yet.

First off, I would like to make it as such that the displayed hit is never more than the current hitpoints of your opponent at the time the hit lands. So if you were to hit someone for 40 damage, but your opponent has 30 hitpoints when the hit lands, it will only display a hit of 30.
If the opponent heals for 5 HP before the hit lands, it would display a hit of 35 instead (and still kill them, thus preventing tick eating). If the opponent heals for 10 HP, it will display a hit of 40 and again kill them. If they heal for 11 HP or more, it will display a hit of 40 and they will survive.
Basically, the game keeps track of how much your damage roll is, but unlike OSRS still caps the hit at your opponent's current hitpoints at the time the hit lands.

Alternatively, we can do it the OSRS way and completely disregard your opponent's current hitpoints, so you can see a 90 hit even if your opponent only has 2 HP. That's up to the community to decide.

Secondly, we also need to know whether you would receive extra combat XP for hitting someone who is tick eating. In OSRS, you only receive combat XP for the current hitpoints your opponent has at the time of the XP drop (when you initiate an attack). The question is, do we also give extra combat XP and have a second combat XP drop at the time the hit lands in the case your opponent heals themselves before the hit lands, or no?

Complex questions, I know. Let us know what you think!

Isaac
Honor Player

Re: PvP damage cap change

Post by Isaac » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 pm

I like the OSRS way. It makes for more interesting KOs and prevents players from tick-eating and surviving over and over again to the frustration of the other player.

I think you should get one XP drop displaying how much damage you have dealt (even if that is more than the players HP). Say player 1 deals 90 damage and player 2 has combo ate up to 40. Player 1 should get the 90 damage xp drop so that they know categorically that they have killed player 2. I see no harm in this as it is a better indication of what has actually happened and whether the fight is over or not. If it cannot be done in one XP drop, then yes player 1 should get a second XP drop which indicates that they have hit through the tick-eat and can then plan their next attack better, such as finishing with a granite maul.

Sam
Premium Donator

Post by Sam » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:45 pm

Isaac wrote:I like the OSRS way. It makes for more interesting KOs and prevents players from tick-eating and surviving over and over again to the frustration of the other player.

I think you should get one XP drop displaying how much damage you have dealt (even if that is more than the players HP). Say player 1 deals 90 damage and player 2 has combo ate up to 40. Player 1 should get the 90 damage xp drop so that they know categorically that they have killed player 2. I see no harm in this as it is a better indication of what has actually happened and whether the fight is over or not. If it cannot be done in one XP drop, then yes player 1 should get a second XP drop which indicates that they have hit through the tick-eat and can then plan their next attack better, such as finishing with a granite maul.
I Agree man me too.
Moderator Sam

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Isaac wrote:I like the OSRS way. It makes for more interesting KOs and prevents players from tick-eating and surviving over and over again to the frustration of the other player.
The alternative way that I had suggested also prevents tick eating, so whether you choose the OSRS way or not doesn't matter in that regard. We simply have to settle on what to actually display.

Isaac
Honor Player

Post by Isaac » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Mike wrote:The alternative way that I had suggested also prevents tick eating, so whether you choose the OSRS way or not doesn't matter in that regard. We simply have to settle on what to actually display.
Ah I see. In that case I prefer to display one hit with two XP drops.

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:47 pm

I would prefer to see the big hit rather then it being capped to the opponent's hp level. Also, the xp should be awarded for the big hit, not for the other player's current hp ( I hit a 60 on someone's 40 hp, I get the exp for the 60 damage, not for the 40 hp that my opponent had ).

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Respire1337 wrote:I would prefer to see the big hit rather then it being capped to the opponent's hp level. Also, the xp should be awarded for the big hit, not for the other player's current hp ( I hit a 60 on someone's 40 hp, I get the exp for the 60 damage, not for the 40 hp that my opponent had ).
Are you absolutely sure? I remember something differently. I'll test this again later in OSRS (unless someone else wants to do this for me ofc).

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:54 pm

Mike wrote:
Respire1337 wrote:I would prefer to see the big hit rather then it being capped to the opponent's hp level. Also, the xp should be awarded for the big hit, not for the other player's current hp ( I hit a 60 on someone's 40 hp, I get the exp for the 60 damage, not for the 40 hp that my opponent had ).
Are you absolutely sure? I remember something differently. I'll test this again later in OSRS (unless someone else wants to do this for me ofc).
This is what I prefer to be honest, I don't think they award the full exp for a big hit in OSRS, but it wouldn't hurt here.
I want to see the full exp only to be able to see what my actual hit it. If it's somehow possible, display the big hit exp, but have it so you only gain the exp of opponent's current hp level ( example : My opponent has 40 hp, I hit a 60 on him, I see the 60 hit exp drop, but I only gain the 40 hit exp).

Grizzly mint
Premium Donator

Post by Grizzly mint » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:55 pm

I prefer the OSRS way with the full exp drop. Hitting an 90 and getting the experience for 2 damage is a nice surprise but to random imo.

Rizz0
Premium Donator

Post by Rizz0 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Since seeing your potential hit against someone you killed doesn't affect anything, could it be a setting in Gameplay And Graphics Options? I feel like if we go one way or another either way people will be unhappy. But I would like to see the potential hit and only gain the xp for the the amount of hitpoints other person had.