Cerberus coming soon - some testing needed

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

Cerberus coming soon - some testing needed

Post by Mike » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:08 pm

I've pretty much finished the addition of Cerberus on the test server and I was wondering if some players (and/or staff) would be willing to check it out and see if it works the way it's supposed to. You can download the latest test client here. The Cerberus cave can be found in the same place as on OSRS, near the hellhounds in Taverley dungeon. Unlike on the production server, you won't need a hellhounds or Cerberus slayer task to kill it, so players can test it out more easily.
Note that Cerberus is an instanced solo boss, so you can never be in the same room as another player.

The only thing I didn't add yet is the wall of flame at the entrance, but I'm not even sure if that's worth the effort. I'm not even entirely sure why they had added it on OSRS in the first place. If someone can come up with a good reason to add it, please do let me know.

If there are any bugs or things that seem out of order (for example if the timing of switching prayers doesn't seem to work correctly), let me know in a reply to this post as well, with as much detail as possible about what seems wrong. This way, we can make sure everything is properly worked out when we release it on Thursday.

I've also currently decided that our glacor boots would remain unchanged - meaning the pegasian and eternal boots would surpass the ragefire and glaiven boots in all aspects, while the primordial boots would be slightly less strong than our steadfast boots since the cerberus boots would (rather obviously) have the same stats as in OSRS.
Although it might seem preferable to simply swap all current glacor boots for cerberus boots, I do think it's nice to have the option to purchase a cheaper alternative for steadfast boots (same strength bonus, slightly higher defensive bonus, slightly lower offensive bonus) while having 2 new BIS boots for ranged and magic.

We always try to strive towards what's best for the community, though we're not always sure what the best choice is. Maybe someone has a better idea of what to do with glacor vs cerberus boots without devaluating the current boots.

Fungamer
Developer

Re: Cerberus coming soon - some testing needed

Post by Fungamer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm

First of all, great to see Cerberus is about to be released!

This is what I told respire, along with some addons:
Swap cerb boots for glacor boots. Might be a lot of effort but perhaps it could also make place for a system from a dev POV for "switching" items.

Remove boot drop from droptables at glacors
In exchange for that, introduce glacor pets (1 for each glacyte)
Add some noted herbs and ores/bars and rare seeds to the droptable too so it's not a completely dead boss.

No one will force people to kill glacors but its nice for its pets and occasionally drops some nice supplies, but thats where it ends

I kinda dislike the idea of having both types of boots ingame. Overcomplicates it & the minimal improvements in the stats dont really scale with the difficulty of cerberus vs glacors and the current price of glacor boots.

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm

It's much better to swap out all the glacor boots with cerberus boots, even if it takes a little bit longer, we can wait, the hype is there.
Why? Because:
-Cerberus items will keep their value, knowing that is a task only boss.
-Changing the current boots with the Cerberus boots is only gonna maintain the prices, not ruining the eco in the process.

Things I've noticed :
- when the ghosts come and attack you, only the last ghost drains your prayer ( 30 points ), while the first two don't
- the flame is there to be like a safe check,once you've passed it, the battle can start. At the moment there is no flame, so, if you walk to Cerberus and then walk back to the gate, she can still hit you. The fire would make it so, if you wish to walk back to the gate, you will be safe.
- does the spectral spirit shield halves the drained prayer from ghosts? Because I haven't noticed it when I tested them. (from 30 prayer points\ghost, down to 15\ghost when you get hit)
- in my opinion, the pet shouldn't be able to stun Cerberus when she does her special attack ( you know what I'm talking about, the mage-range-melee attack)
- if you have your retaliate on, and Cerberus dies while the ghosts are out, the last ghost is gonna pull you closer to the soul devourer, pretty petty I know, but it shouldn't happen
- crush based weapons ( like the zamorakian hasta for example ) should have better accuracy vs Cerberus. Slightly nerf the accuracy of everything that doesn't have a crush option and slightly increase it for weapons that have the crush style option

A iron girl
Premium Donator

Post by A iron girl » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Haven't tested anything, but from what Resp said, I agree that it should have crush weakness. We should see more bosses with weaknesses and strengths to a specific style like Zulrah is currently. Otherwise it would just be custom whips as a go to for all bosses.

And I also advocate for the boots being swapped over. And at this point we could completely remove glacors or just update their droptables with better supply drops. Perhaps make it one of the few monsters that drops high end supplies. Runite ores, Runite Bars, Overloads etc.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Respire1337 wrote: - when the ghosts come and attack you, only the last ghost drains your prayer ( 30 points ), while the first two don't
Oh, I was convinced that you would only lose 30 prayer points if you managed to block all three attacks. Looks like I was in the wrong.
Thanks for the feedback. And yeah, I'll make sure the spectral spirit shield works as intended.

Isaac
Honor Player

Post by Isaac » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:02 pm

Mike wrote:Oh, I was convinced that you would only lose 30 prayer points if you managed to block all three attacks. Looks like I was in the wrong.Thanks for the feedback. And yeah, I'll make sure the spectral spirit shield works as intended.
Change it so spectral makes the little scorpions at Scorpia drain less prayer too pls. Also, I wouldn't be opposed to removing Glacor boots. Having two sets of high-end boots is a bit meh. Whichever offers better offensive bonuses will be the META and the rest will fall into the deep chasm of dead content.

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Mike wrote:
Respire1337 wrote: - when the ghosts come and attack you, only the last ghost drains your prayer ( 30 points ), while the first two don't
Oh, I was convinced that you would only lose 30 prayer points if you managed to block all three attacks. Looks like I was in the wrong.
Thanks for the feedback. And yeah, I'll make sure the spectral spirit shield works as intended.
So for each successful hit from the ghost, they hit you for a 30, no prayer drained. If you manage to pray vs their attacks, after each attack you lose 30 prayer points, resulting in a 90 prayer points loss if you manage to pray against all 3 attacks.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Mike wrote:I've also currently decided that our glacor boots would remain unchanged - meaning the pegasian and eternal boots would surpass the ragefire and glaiven boots in all aspects, while the primordial boots would be slightly less strong than our steadfast boots since the cerberus boots would (rather obviously) have the same stats as in OSRS.
Although it might seem preferable to simply swap all current glacor boots for cerberus boots, I do think it's nice to have the option to purchase a cheaper alternative for steadfast boots (same strength bonus, slightly higher defensive bonus, slightly lower offensive bonus) while having 2 new BIS boots for ranged and magic.
I like your plan for the boots. There is no sense in removing content that we already have when there is no major problem with it. More boots just give people more options, and we can always tweak the stats later. There is a small amount of people that hate the RS3 boots, but there are a lot of unspoken people who like them and would be disappointed with their removal.
Isaac wrote:Whichever offers better offensive bonuses will be the META and the rest will fall into the deep chasm of dead content.
Not everyone can afford BiS gear. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a wide range of gear.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:20 pm

We're not really a fan of replacing all glacor boots with cerberus boots on release. It seems to me that this would ruin the release of the boss seeing as the boots are the main reason to go do cerberus. Swapping them would mean there's immediately thousands of pairs of boots in the game and thus very little incentive to go pay cerberus a visit. In addition it's hard to predict what the price of the cerberus boots would become and in all likelihood players' boots would be devalued by the swap.

Instead I propose the following:

On release nothing happens to glacor boots. We allow glacor boots and cerberus boots to coexist for a while. Then after a month or so, we swap all glacor boots for their current item value. This way nothing gets devalued, no one suddenly finds themselves without a good pair of boots to wear (or to buy) and cerberus won't be dead content from the day it's released.

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Rapsey wrote:We're not really a fan of replacing all glacor boots with cerberus boots on release. It seems to me that this would ruin the release of the boss seeing as the boots are the main reason to go do cerberus. Swapping them would mean there's immediately thousands of pairs of boots in the game and thus very little incentive to go pay cerberus a visit. In addition it's hard to predict what the price of the cerberus boots would become and in all likelihood players' boots would be devalued by the swap.

Instead I propose the following:

On release nothing happens to glacor boots. We allow glacor boots and cerberus boots to coexist for a while. Then after a month or so, we swap all glacor boots for their current item value. This way nothing gets devalued, no one suddenly finds themselves without a good pair of boots to wear (or to buy) and cerberus won't be dead content from the day it's released.
I am actually really fine with this. Huge support.