Major upcoming NPC pathfinding update

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Slap a ho
Champion

Re: Major upcoming NPC pathfinding update

Post by Slap a ho » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 am

^ I think Vennanatis works the same way GWD does?

I got to thinking about how fight caves mages don’t walk to you, nor does the rangers/jad. Almost retracted my statement to specify GWD but wanted to confirm when I got home. Beat me to it ;)

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am

Thank you very much for all your feedback! I've now performed these updates on the test server:
  • GWD bosses (Kree'arra, Commander Zilyana, General Graardor, K'ril Tsutsaroth and Nex) will now always move into melee distance, unlike other NPC's that can attack from a distance
  • Fixed pet pathfinding
  • Fixed broken max hit dummies
  • Fixed player to NPC pathfinding (walking up to NPC's instead of running, standing diagonally from them, not being able to interact with them, ...). Basically, I have reverted player pathfinding to what it was before

If our dear players are willing to give the test server another go, I might be able to release all these changes tomorrow :) but only if I feel like there's been adequate testing - these are changes that have a huge impact on gameplay (and a possibility of severe bugs, as the testing so far has shown), so I don't want to take any chances.

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 am

Mike wrote:Thank you very much for all your feedback! I've now performed these updates on the test server:
  • GWD bosses (Kree'arra, Commander Zilyana, General Graardor, K'ril Tsutsaroth and Nex) will now always move into melee distance, unlike other NPC's that can attack from a distance
  • Fixed pet pathfinding
  • Fixed player to NPC pathfinding (walking up to NPC's instead of running, standing diagonally from them, not being able to interact with them, ...). Basically, I have reverted player pathfinding to what it was before

If our dear players are willing to give the test server another go, I might be able to release all these changes tomorrow :) but only if I feel like there's been adequate testing - these are changes that have a huge impact on gameplay (and a possibility of severe bugs, as the testing so far has shown), so I don't want to take any chances.
I will give it a try today whenever I come back to home. Especially looking forward to test out Zilyana with range ( I need to be honest, most npcs are either too fast or can attack from miles away). Let’s see if it’s fixed now ;)

Jonas
Fanatic

Post by Jonas » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 am

Respire1337 wrote:
Mike wrote:Thank you very much for all your feedback! I've now performed these updates on the test server:
  • Fixed pet pathfinding

I will give it a try today whenever I come back to home. Especially looking forward to test out Zilyana with range ( I need to be honest, most npcs are either too fast or can attack from miles away). Let’s see if it’s fixed now ;)
Same.

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 pm

So here is what I've got so far :

- Bree can only hit you from 7 tiles, no more. If you go out of the 7 tiles range, it will walk towards you. As a reference , Bree can range you while you are running around the room, near the walls, while he sits in the middle of the room without actually walking right to you.
- Growler is borderline broken. It can't hit you unless he's in melee range. He acts like a melee npc. If he is 2 tiles away from you, he'll do nothing. For you Mike, watch this video ( is B0aty's 50+ Kill Saradomin Solo Guide and he does a great job explaining how ticks work there, how you should walk etc : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqZ5DnoOdR4 ) :
- Zilyana is as well broken, she can melee\mage you from 5 tiles+. Because we're missing the "slingshot effect" (you can see it in B0aty's video) and because she is way too fast (like every other npc) she will always hit you unless you constantly run from her without ranging.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Respire1337 wrote:Because we're missing the "slingshot effect" (you can see it in B0aty's video) and because she is way too fast (like every other npc) she will always hit you unless you constantly run from her without ranging.
This slingshot effect on osrs is purely visual. It has no effect on where your character actually is on the map. So it will have no effect on how monsters attack you.
The idea behind it is that the crossbow animation takes precedence over the walking/running animations. So while it appears like your character is standing still, it is really moving away. The game compensates by making it looks like your character is running super fast.

Iron bubble
Premium Donator

Post by Iron bubble » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Admin adam wrote:
Respire1337 wrote:Because we're missing the "slingshot effect" (you can see it in B0aty's video) and because she is way too fast (like every other npc) she will always hit you unless you constantly run from her without ranging.
This slingshot effect on osrs is purely visual. It has no effect on where your character actually is on the map. So it will have no effect on how monsters attack you.
The idea behind it is that the crossbow animation takes precedence over the walking/running animations. So while it appears like your character is standing still, it is really moving away. The game compensates by making it looks like your character is running super fast.
Yes and the animations on here completely cancel the fact that you're character is moving, which needs to be fixed.

Also Eta on my prayer books/mage book update it was said to be in next update but that was one update ago
Roasted by King Roald...

Sir Bubbles

Iron bubble

Respire1337
Premium Donator

Post by Respire1337 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Iron bubble wrote:
Admin adam wrote:
Yes and the animations on here completely cancel the fact that you're character is moving, which needs to be fixed.

Also Eta on my prayer books/mage book update it was said to be in next update but that was one update ago
Exactly! Try and range Zilyana. Practically impossible if you don't want her to hit you - and that's the points of ranging Zilyana, to not get damaged by her.

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:54 pm

For risky barrows, ahrims and karils seem to have an attack range of 7 tiles so neither will walk right up to you so you can barrage the brothers in a pile like before. Not sure if this is how we want the new minigame to be played, just looking for clarification.

EDIT : seems like DKs have a range of 10 tiles, would be nice to see their range lowered a bit to make it more like OSRS so you can tribrid or target a single DK on your trip (more for newer players who might not be able to tank all 3 DK's at once). Also, if someone can verify, I think Supreme should be spawning more south-west than where it current point is now.

EDIT 2 : seems like we won't need to safespot Barrelchests anymore, since they stay in their place just ranging (unless you go up to them, then they'll melee)
Last edited by Thearlygamer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Tk phat
Premium Donator

Post by Tk phat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:49 pm

wow this sounds great mike excited to see it in action!

kind regards

tk phat
when nasus tps