2 February Update: a new future-proof Windows client!

All of PkHonor's news will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

2 February Update: a new future-proof Windows client!

Post by Mike » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:39 pm

As of now, players who use DPI scaling in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (the slider that makes all icons & text bigger on your PC) will no longer have issues with a tiny or blurry client!
Not a server update this time - in order to make use of this new feature, simply restart your client! (only for the Windows installer client)

It's taken us several days of research and testing, but we have finally managed to find a solution. We fixed it by creating a new Windows client that comes packaged with its very own Java Runtime Environment. Not only does this mean that the client is now scaled according to your screen resolution (and no longer looks tiny on 4K screens), but you no longer need to have Java installed on your computer to play our game! Not to mention that the installer is only 18MB in size.

A quick comparison of how our client looked before and after (old client on the left, new client on the right - click for full-size versions):

To my knowledge, we are now the only RSPS that is compatible with Java 9 (most RSPS have a bugged right-click menu for Java 9 users) while also working properly on 4K screens! By doing this, we have made our client completely future-proof!

If anyone experiences any kind of issues with their client (doesn't properly update, can't run or doesn't look right on their PC), do let us know!

Please note that this fix mostly applies to Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 users. Anyone with an older Windows version will probably not notice any difference in their client. It won't be blurry, but it will not scale according to your preferences either - if you use Windows 7 with a 4K screen there's not much we can do, but that's because Windows 7 can't really handle 4K screens properly anyway.
Players using Windows XP (or older) cannot use the packaged Java Runtime Environment, so they do still need to have Java installed in order to run our client.

Now that our client has its very own Java Runtime Environment, we're also looking to create a completely portable version of our client. It can then be put on a USB stick or micro SD card and you will be able to run it from any computer (running Windows Vista or higher) without having Java installed on the computer. We plan on replacing our zipped client with this fully portable version.
But first: Wilderness bosses, coming next week!

Vik
Honor Player

Re: 2 February Update: a new future-proof Windows client!

Post by Vik » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Wow, thank you Mike no more fkn tiny screen

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:46 pm

My client got bigger because I was previously running on 125% scaling on windows 10. I got it back to the previous size by putting the scaling factor to 100%.
Any way to add compatibility options like some other java applications have? Alternatively, would there be a way to add some sort of custom scaling option?
Spoiler: show

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Adamthalion wrote:My client got bigger because I was previously running on 125% scaling on windows 10. I got it back to the previous size by putting the scaling factor to 100%.
Any way to add compatibility options like some other java applications have? Alternatively, would there be a way to add some sort of custom scaling option?
The jar client doesn't use the scaling, so if you want your tiny client back, just use a jar client instead ^^

Adding customizable options to our client isn't possible. Our client works by using the 'java.exe' (or 'javaw.exe') exe in the folder "C:/Users/<user>/My Documents/My Games/PkHonor/PkHonor_client/jre/bin/", so if you wish to change compatibility options, you would have to do so on the "java(w).exe" file.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Adamthalion wrote:My client got bigger because I was previously running on 125% scaling on windows 10. I got it back to the previous size by putting the scaling factor to 100%.
You can still use the JAR client if you don't want the scaling. It's only supported in the Windows installer.
Compatibility options? I'm not sure what you mean by that, even with that screenshot.
Custom scaling option? If you mean allowing you to choose the scaling factor separate from the OS then no. The scaling is done by Windows itself, so it's the OS DPI scaling level or nothing.

EDIT: If the compatibility option you speak of is to override the scaling as shown in the screenshot, that should work just fine. But you'll have to do it on the java.exe and javaw.exe in My Games\PkHonor\PkHonor_client\jre\bin, not on your system java EXE.

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 pm

JAR is l0c
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Cool that worked, thanks guys :---)

Migetmanz
Premium Donator

Post by Migetmanz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 pm

sweet update, dont think it really effects me on my like 5 year old computer. Still cool to be the only server with something!

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:06 am

Awesome update i think it should effect my screen i always thought it was tiny. It's taking forever to install the update though I'm not sure if thats normal? Also, is it true that the 500 pk req for comp is being removed?
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Ice13arrage
Novice

Post by Ice13arrage » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 am

Thanks for this, one of my friends was getting the tiny screen issue on his 4K and couldn't play properly on his laptop because of it.