KBD ladder room changes

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

Which changes should we make to the KBD cave?

Make the ladder room a multi-combat area
3%
Keep the ladder room a single-combat area
27%
Remove the poison spiders
7%
Keep the poison spiders
19%
Add a minimum delay of 30 seconds between using any of the 3 KBD levers
No votes
Add a minimum delay of 20 seconds between using any of the 3 KBD levers
1%
Add a minimum delay of 10 seconds between using any of the 3 KBD levers
12%
Don't add a minimum delay for using the KBD levers
14%
Severely increase the poison spider respawn times
6%
Keep the poison spider respawn times the same
11%

Total votes: 139

Mike
Programmer

KBD ladder room changes

Post by Mike » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:10 pm

It's been some time since we last looked into the "lever abuse" issue - most notably at the King Black Dragon cave - but today I've finally figured out what exactly is the root cause: rather than instantly teleporting a player (as with teletabs or a normal teleport spell), levers should only activate after a short delay. During this small delay, it should still be possible for other players to attack the person pulling the lever. This is currently not the case.

I've made the necessary code changes in order to allow other players to hit you while you are pulling the lever (to be deployed with the next server update).
As soon as the teleport animation starts, hits will no longer register, but during the actual act of pulling a lever, you will still be vulnerable to other players and NPC's.

However, when a PK'er is inside the KBD ladder room (with the poison spiders), he will still not be able to properly attack a player who's teleporting back and forth between the KBD cave and the ladder room, because the spiders will be aggressive towards the PK'er.

Therefore, I would like to suggest a change to the KBD ladder room in order to make it possible for PK'ers to kill people who go there. I see a few options:
- Make the room a multi-combat area
- Remove one, two or three poison spiders
- Add a delay between using a KBD lever again so people cannot go instantly back and forth. Once a player uses one of the 3 levers inside the KBD cave or ladder room, he will not be able to use any of those 3 levers again for another X seconds. A combination of any of these changes is also possible
- Severely increase the poison spider respawn times

Cast your votes and let us know what you think of any of these changes. Keep in mind that the vulnerability while in the act of pulling a lever will be added to the server no matter the outcome of the poll.

Ruler
Honor Player

Re: KBD ladder room changes

Post by Ruler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Whatever the result will be, a change needs to happen so good job :)

As for the options, the spiders don't really contribute anything so removing those would already work. With the proper working of the lever you will have enough time to tb the person, which is enough to be able to pk properly.

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Keep the spiders, adds for some strategies for escaping. If the pker/team is good enough, they can get around the spiders.
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Pim
Premium Donator

Post by Pim » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Spiders good, this area also should not be multi. Keep it that way.

Support for the 10 second delay after using. This will solely solve every problem about the current status of kbd.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 pm

I say keep everything how it is for now. Lets see how fixing the lever works out.
The problem was that people could spam it, get out of combat, and log out.
With this fixed, the spiders can hit them from the ladder side, and a pker can hit them from the lair side. I don't think a delay would be necessary.

Iron bubble
Premium Donator

Post by Iron bubble » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41 pm

10 second delay is way too much, 5 seconds is good
Roasted by King Roald...

Sir Bubbles

Iron bubble

Lpe708
Premium Donator

Post by Lpe708 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 am

Full support for these changes, one of the most frustrating aspects of deep wildy pking. KBD is one of the most rewarding wilderness bosses, which is baffling considering the system in place renders pvmers essentially insusceptible to pkers.

The changes you have already set will work wonders, considering pvmers can't simply click the lever 5 times and log out anymore.

If that isn't enough, I support having a cooldown timer for the lever, nothing more than ten seconds though. And keeping the spider room as single combat won't tilt the scales too much in the pkers' favor. We still want a challenge ;) .

Much needed adjustment. Great work as always Mike, cheers.

Moleman
Premium Donator

Post by Moleman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:24 am

Iron bubble wrote:10 second delay is way too much, 5 seconds is good
Yeah, 10 seconds is actually a really long time if you're in a tense situation

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:55 am

Thank you for all the feedback! Considering the current poll result, I believe the following changes would be in order:
- Keep the area single combat
- Keep the poison spiders
- Slightly increase the spider respawn times
- Add a 2 second cooldown timer before you can use any of the the levers again

Really small changes, but they should be sufficient to make the KBD cave and ladder room a properly balanced area :)

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Adamthalion wrote:I say keep everything how it is for now. Lets see how fixing the lever works out.
The problem was that people could spam it, get out of combat, and log out.
With this fixed, the spiders can hit them from the ladder side, and a pker can hit them from the lair side. I don't think a delay would be necessary.
This