Duo slayer: Modern RS or OSRS system?

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

How should duo slayer work?

Modern RS: a shared pool, each kill of either player counts towards completion of the task
93%
OSRS: each player has a separate pool to kill
7%

Total votes: 61

Mike
Programmer

Duo slayer: Modern RS or OSRS system?

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Apparently, duo slayer was implemented differently in OSRS than in modern RS: in OSRS, you both get a separate "pool" to kill (so each player completes their own task at their own speed, the only advantage is that you get the same task assigned as a partner). In Modern RS, there appears to be a shared pool, meaning each monster kill of either player will count towards the completion of the task.

From what I've seen so far, it appears most players are a fan of the "shared" pool rather than each having their own amount to kill. I can also understand why. It is slightly different to implement, but it still shouldn't be more than a day's work.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Re: Duo slayer: Modern RS or OSRS system?

Post by Azu rite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:20 pm

The osrs system is dead content on osrs

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Azu rite wrote:The osrs system is dead content on osrs
That's what Adamthalion said. I'm quite certain this poll is merely a formality and we already know the outcome, but it can't hurt to be sure.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:44 pm

I have a concern with the modern system. Would this allow someone to boost points and exp for an alt just by slaying with their main as their partner? Or would your points and bonus exp at the end of the task be based on how many monsters you killed out of the total. I could definitely see some holes in this that a player with max gear could abuse. Also can Ironmen participate?

Grizzly mint
Premium Donator

Post by Grizzly mint » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:35 pm

Same ips shouldn't be able to do duo slayer.

And irons shouldn't be able to either. if they do elite tasks and get bandos, how are they going to do that? It's a solo game mode, not duo-man mode.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Grizzly mint wrote:Same ips shouldn't be able to do duo slayer.
Why not? Multilogging is allowed and it's not exactly "cheating" since there's not gonna be any bonus rewards for doing duo slayer. It's just the convenience of being able to do tasks together. Plus if two people are playing on LAN together it'd be nice if they could do duo slayer.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Having no rewards could possibly make it dead content here

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:35 pm

Azu rite wrote:Having no rewards could possibly make it dead content here
It could, although personally if I was training slayer I'd be using it whenever possible just because it's more fun to do it with someone else.

Aside from the fact that we don't believe every new feature should come with "more of everything" to sell it like some sort of rewards power creep, the main reason we're leaning towards not giving any extra rewards is because duo slayer will inherently speed up your progress anyway. It depends on the kind of task you get of course, for example:

Let's say you get some kind of boss task. If you're doing it with two players you have double the hitpoints and inventory space, but you also have to kill twice as many since you're sharing the kills so that evens out. But you also have twice the damage output, and since you're killing it twice as fast the boss is only able to do half the damage before it's dead. So in simplified theory if a solo player can kill 10 of them before restocking a team of two can kill 40.

It's a bit more complicated than that of course. Some bosses damage multiple targets at the same time, respawn timers play a role, not everything is in multi combat zones etc. So it's definitely not like you'll be going twice as fast as a solo player. But I think overall, a team of two will be able to get 10-20% faster progress even without any extra rewards. If we add more bonuses on top of that it might just be too much.

Megumin
Honor Player

Post by Megumin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56 pm

How would this work for Zulrah? If you decide to keep Zulrah with the system.

Andres
Developer

Post by Andres » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Megumin wrote:How would this work for Zulrah? If you decide to keep Zulrah with the system.

A few checks and put the 2 players on the same height if on task would do.