New dev system - very soon!

PkHonor's work in progress and future updates will be posted here.
Mike
Programmer

New dev system - very soon!

Post by Mike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Since there haven't been a lot of actual content updates in the game for the past month, I'd like to take a moment to inform our community a bit about what we've been doing and what that means for PkHonor.

Ever since we came back from vacation, most of our time has been dedicated to working out the new system to give new developers access to their very own testserver. It's progressing quite nicely - several things are already in place and we will soon have our first working prototype. After we've worked on the last rough edges and polished it up, we will have a system that will allow new developers to write code for the PkHonor server, without having access to the full source code. In fact, less than half of all code will be visible for other devs, but it's all they will need for the work they will be doing. Code related to things such as Construction, Hunter, the Grand Exchange and many more things will simply not be visible to them, nor should they be meddling with it in the first place ;)
Of course, this is not just for our current trial developer (Vcom), but also for any future developer whom we hire to work on PkHonor. We won't need to be able to fully trust them to allow them to work on their own on new features!

Furthermore, they will always be able to have the latest PkHonor server code and we will have the ability to seamlessly integrate their changes into the actual server (both of which were quite a problem in the past, back when Donderstone2 didn't have full code access yet). Lastly, they will be able to fully test & debug all the code they write, as they will have their own server which they can spawn at will.

Most of it has been made by Rapsey, although it also integrates with some of the code I've written. At this point, there are still a few challenges (and a few unknowns) which are still to be overcome, but we remain confident. We'll let you know more when everything is set, so we can - this time with more in-game developers - focus on bringing loads of new content!

Oh yeah, and in the meantime, I'm also still working my way through the 5 pages of bug reports that are still awaiting in the in-game bug reports section. I still need to process 2 pages before I can declare the winners of the bughunter contest.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Re: New dev system - very soon!

Post by Azu rite » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:48 pm

What if someone wants to add something to construction?

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:06 pm

Azu rite wrote:What if someone wants to add something to construction?
I wouldn't want anyone (probably not even Donderstone2) to fiddle with the core code of construction itself, that's code that only I myself will touch if or when I need to. As for things such as new bosses (to be added in a bookcase), all that code is still accessible to them. Most of the code that's not accessible to other devs is simply the core code that should (normally) never have to be changed anyway, except in big updates like the one we had on 30 December.

However, if we want to, we can always increase the level of access. It's all very dynamic and we choose ourselves what we give to other devs and what we don't.

Kylo ren
Honor Player

Post by Kylo ren » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 pm

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see Vcom join the Dev team!

Jonas
Fanatic

Post by Jonas » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 pm

This sounds great, can't wait for new trial developers and more content brought to PkHonor. Hopefully some trial dev should focus primarily on PK'ing till it's prefected and then go work on something else.

Billy
Staff Consultant

Post by Billy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Jonas wrote:This sounds great, can't wait for new trial developers and more content brought to PkHonor. Hopefully some trial dev should focus primarily on PK'ing till it's prefected and then go work on something else.
Will depend on the knowledge of the trial developer though. I mean, the community will definitely deliver ideas and provide feedback on what needs to be improved, but if a trial developer has no knowledge at all about pk'ing, I think it might be challenging for him to actually code such a project.

I could be mistaken though, Mike & Rapsey probably know what's best ;)

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:03 am

Billy wrote:
Jonas wrote:This sounds great, can't wait for new trial developers and more content brought to PkHonor. Hopefully some trial dev should focus primarily on PK'ing till it's prefected and then go work on something else.
Will depend on the knowledge of the trial developer though. I mean, the community will definitely deliver ideas and provide feedback on what needs to be improved, but if a trial developer has no knowledge at all about pk'ing, I think it might be challenging for him to actually code such a project.

I could be mistaken though, Mike & Rapsey probably know what's best ;)
Depends on the situation tbh, but yeah some pking knowledge would be lovely to have in someone developing pking content

Iron midas
Premium Donator

Post by Iron midas » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:10 am

Looking forward to seeing some progress with other devs.

:thumbsup:

Rwter
Honor Player

Post by Rwter » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 am

haha yes my boy sniper1 gonna make zulrah for the unban

Swing set
Premium Donator

Post by Swing set » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:43 am

Would you or Rapsey take a mentor position? (As in someone who knows the basics, but doesn't delve to deep, who is looking to broaden their knowledge of the game side of Java, or data systems?) Not really asking to babysit either, but just helpful advice\OJT in the correct direction.