Wildywyrm Guide [HQ]

Xoros

Wildywyrm Guide [HQ]

Post by Xoros » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 am

Wildywyrm

The Wildywyrm is a high level monster located in ~level 45 Wilderness, often killed for it's large PkHonor point, Pest control point, and Clue scroll rewards. It has a 20% chance to drop a hard or elite clue, which is every 1 in 5 kills! However, this monster is extremely powerful with lots of HP, and is located in the wilderness, making it sometimes hard to kill efficiently, but it is well worth it for the reward and in this guide I hope to show you what I've found to be the best ways to kill the Wildywyrm.

The Wildywyrm, as previously mentioned, is located in around level 45 wilderness between the Spider hill and Ghorrock. There are two ways I would recommend to get there, but both come with their positives and negatives.

The blue line represents our first way to get to the Wildywyrm. This is via teleporting to green dragons from the Edgeville PK portal teleports and running up. Note, the Wildwyrm now **ONLY** spawns the the location indicated by the red box and you no longer need a Wildywyrm scroll to find it. This however means the thread of PKers is more of a risk.

Green Dragons way

First, teleport to Edgeville. The PK portal is located North of the Edgeville Bank.

Then, click on the portal and select 'Green Dragons'

You will be teleported to an area of the wilderness around level 20-25. Run as far east as you can and then all the way north until you hit the Wilderness wall. Then from there, run west to the Wildywyrm.

Mage Bank way

The first part of getting to the Mage bank is the same as Green dragons, however, when you click on the portal, you will instead select 'Mage Bank'

You will arrive in a room with a banker and a teleport level to the west of the room. Click the lever and you will be teleported outside into the wilderness.

Once here, follow the map to arrive at the Wildywyrm.

Pro's and Con's

Spoiler: show
Green Dragons

Pro's:
-Safer from PKers.

Con's:

-Slower
-Risk of being attacked by dragons (Dragonfire can be very damaging)
Mage Bank

Pro's:
-Faster
-Close Bank

Con's:
-Much higher risk of being PKed
-If you forget something, you're in higher level wildness, so to return to bank takes longer than would in lower wilderness at green dragons)

Gear and Invetory

Firstly, I wouldn't really recommend killing the Wildywyrm without the majority of the gear I show here, even the lower level items, as I can just manage 1 kill of the Wildywyrm with 1 Inventory, and with worse gear it will take much longer to kill and you'll have to rebank in between kills. This means that it will take much longer and be more tedious to kill and that there is a risk of another player coming along and killing your almost dead Wildywyrm while you're banking and receiving the reward for all of your hard work. Keep in mind, the inventories I show with these setups are only what I recommend for these specific setups. If you can use better gear, it may be worth swapping out some brews for some super prayer pots. I would also like to stress you can use up to 4 expensive items whilst doing the Wildywyrm, because as long as you aren't skulled and have protect item on, you can use much better gear which will help lots to kill the Wildywyrm, so don't be afraid to bring some expensive items; it's all worth it in the end. With that out of the way, here is the basic setups I recommend.

Melee

Image Image

The Firecape can be swapped out for a skill cape if you so choose. Also, any spec weapon can be used.

Range

Image Image

The difference with the range inventory being that you don't have a special attack weapon. This means you have extra room for one Saradomin brew.

Void setups.

For void setups, you can use the same Inventories as those shown above. However, if you have room I'd recommend an extra Saradomin brew over an extra prayer potion as in void, you're defense is lower so you will be hit more. Void however makes up for this by hitting harder and more consistently than normal Armour.

Melee

Range

(Note, if you cannot afford overloads/brews I really wouldn't recommend trying to kill the Wildywyrm, as you will have to make 3-4 trips to make even one kill on the Wildywyrm. The overload boosts your stats and countinues to boost them over a 5 minute perioud, and restores them (Not instantly, but it's not a long time) even when using Saradomin brews.)

If you don't have a huge amount of cash, I'd definitely recommend a DFS. This is because it has a good defense bonus aswell as a special attack that will deal extra damage to the Wildywyrm. However, if you can afford an Elysian or a Divine, I would really recommend you use them, as the Wildywyrm hits very hard, very often.

I would recommend using range over melee, specifically with Ruby (e) bolts, as they have a special attack which will take a small amount of HP from you but deal 120 damage to the Wildywyrm, which is really helpful. Because of this, I would also recommend using the regular Prayer book over curses when using range if you have Rigour unlocked, as you will be able to do more damage with Range. Only use Curses if you choose to use melee.

Pking protection solutions

The biggest issue people have with killing the wildywyrm is the threat of PKers. In the event a Pker/s do attack, remain calm. If you cannot kill them and don't want to try, it would be easier for you to just stand there and let them kill you. If you do plan on fighting back or trying to survive if you get the chance, you could adapt your inventory to look similar to one of the following:

Image Image

The inventory on the left hand side can be used when you're using a void setup, and I would recommend this if you are adamant about protection from pking. Because void will instantly change to be suited to each style of attack (Melee/Range/Mage) with the change of a helmet, bring barrage runes and a Void Mage helm. When you are attacked, switch to the Mage helmet, freeze your target and run away to safety. This is by far the most efficient way to deal with Pkers whilst killing wildywyrm. I wouldn't recommend however bringing a full Mage set with you, as that will mean you have less brews to use, perhaps meaning you wont be able to kill the Wildywyrm as efficiently and having to bank before you've even killed it once, and this is why using magic with void works so well.

The alternative is to use Vengeance which can help in the event of a Pker attacking you, but also be useful to deal backfire damage to the Wildywyrm, and because the Wildywyrm hits so high this can often help you to kill the Wildywyrm quicker. However, for this you do have to sacrifice crucial spots for saradomin brews.

If you are rich, the best setup to use in my opinion is the following:
-Full void
-Berserker ring
-Amulet of Fury
-Firecape
-Whip of Souls or Whip of Chaos
-Curses spellbook
Void offers the best attack bonus' in game for offensive melee but suffers with poor defense. The Divine spirit shield will help massively with this, and you'll receive noticeable less damage. If you couple this with Turmoil, Soulsplit and a chaos whip, it will be more rare that you're damaged and in the event that you are, the Soulsplit can heal you straight back up. The Chaos whip offers an extremely fast attack speed with high damage, meaning you can deal more damage faster and also heal off of that damage a lot faster and easier. A soul's whip has the same effect as the soulsplit curse, so coupling both of these effects means you'll constantly be healing, whilst still dealing lots of damage because of the void and being more rarely hit because of the divine. The benefit also of using custom whips is that you can't attack other players in the wilderness, so there is no chance you can accidentally skull. The downside of this is that you can't fight back against pkers, unless using the void mage method shown previously.

Once you've got to the Wildywyrm, if you're not using the aforementioned gear, I'd recommend praying Protect from magic, Rigour/Piety/Turmoil and Protect item at all times. If you have curses and want to try and Soulsplit health back, it can be helpful but there's also a chance the Wildywyrm will hit you more. Unless you're doing lots of hard consistent damage, I wouldn't recommend trying to Soulsplit back health and would stick to Protect from Magic.

Once killed, you will receive a 100% Chance to get a large PkHonor point and Pest control reward (Point rewards vary between Regular/Donator/Premium players, Donators getting more than Regular and Premium more than Donator), and a 1 in 5 chance of receiving a hard or Elite clue scroll.

The point rewards are as follows:
Prem: 150 PKP + 50 PCP.
Donor: 105 PKP + 35 PCP.
Regular: 75PKP + 25 PCP.
These points if you kill with more people however and lootshare is on whilst you're in the CC will be equally split between players, with the initial amount to be split being equal to that of the lowest ranking player. Eg - A Donator and a Premium player killing the Wildywyrm will both receive 63 PK points and 17PCP. Because of this I would only really recommend soloing/duoing the Wildywyrm. It becomes much easier to kill and stay longer with more people and makes you safer from pkers, but ultimately it'll be much slower getting PKPs and PCPs.

Overall I feel although challenging, the Wildywyrm is an extremely good money maker and is very helpful is you're trying to get your 3k PKP to unlock permanent curses, and in those 3k PKP gained you're more than likely to have obtained enough elite clues to be able to pay the 3B fee for permanent curses too, and probably with more money on the side.

Happy Hunting!

-Xoros

Credit to Hashtag for the exact PKP rewards.
Guide took approximately 3 hours to make, 1 hour for all the pictures, little over 1 hour for the script, and the rest of the time piecing together the thread and making it look nice. Constructive criticism and commenting anything I may have missed would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I've also got a Wise old man achievement guide coming, however it's taken me 6 hours approximately so far and I'm not even a quarter way done, so don't expect it any time too soon.
Last edited by Xoros on Tue May 27, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Image Image
Wildywyrm Guide - http://adf.ly/il1p1
Bandos Guide - http://adf.ly/il2VG

Thoby
Developer

Re: Wildywyrm Guide [HQ]

Post by Thoby » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:03 am

AMAZING JOB! c:
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Xoros

Post by Xoros » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 am

Thoby wrote:AMAZING JOB! c:
Tyvm babe xoxo <3
Image Image

Hayden
Elite

Post by Hayden » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:11 am

Very well put together. Nice work.

Rawr
Premium Donator

Post by Rawr » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:22 am

Awesome guide!

You should make the sections clearer though, and add a table of contents at the too because of how detailed & long it is. Oh, and I think the rewards go as following:

Not to mention that if multiple people take part, it bases all rewards off the player with the lowest rank.

Xoros

Post by Xoros » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 am

Hashtag wrote:Awesome guide!

You should make the sections clearer though, and add a table of contents at the too because of how detailed & long it is. Oh, and I think the rewards go as following:

Not to mention that if multiple people take part, it bases all rewards off the player with the lowest rank.
Updated and gave you credit. Thankyou :)

Edit: Will add a table of contents shortly.
Image Image

Poem
Wise One

Post by Poem » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:06 am

Great guide.

Elite reborn
Premium Donator

Post by Elite reborn » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:08 am

Very nice guide, 10/10.
suh dude

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Nice desert strykwyrm, noob. =]

Justin
Champion

Post by Justin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:37 pm

I remember when it used to be against the rules to rreveal the locations of the WW, is this still the case?