What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Let yourself be heard in our official polls!

What should happen to your items if you are killed by an Ironman Mode player?

Items immediately become visible to the victim and all other non-iron players (almost no chance to loot your own stuff)
12
43%
Items immediately become visible to the victim and after 2 minutes to all other non-iron players (almost guaranteed chance to loot your own stuff)
6
21%
Items become visible to the victim and all other non-iron players after 2 minutes (50/50 chance to loot your own stuff)
10
36%
 
Total votes : 28
Premium Donator
User avatar
Posts: 1466
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 am

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Slap a ho » Sun May 12, 2019 2:39 am

Azu Rite wrote:Why must we overcomplicate everything?

Seems to me both Mike and Rapsey were completely unaware this is how it worked in osrs.
Rapsey wrote:
Slap a ho wrote:The person who got killed shouldn’t be able to see the loot until 2 minutes either.

How so? I thought a player should always be able to see their own loot right away (or at least as soon as they can get back there). Are you proposing this as a way to make it so the person who died and the bystanders both have equal chance at grabbing the loot? If so, may I ask why? If you get killed by a regular player you don't get that benefit either, your items will almost certainly be looted by the time you get back to the location where you died.
Image

Honor Player
User avatar
Posts: 7984
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:07 am
Location: Middle Earth

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Adamthalion » Sun May 12, 2019 4:02 am

It should be the same as how it is right now when you die to a regular player. Killer can see the loot first, after the time delay everyone can see it. Only difference is that an ironman who kills someone and sees the loot first can't actually loot it.

Premium Donator
User avatar
Posts: 1466
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 am

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Slap a ho » Sun May 12, 2019 4:17 am

Adamthalion wrote:It should be the same as how it is right now when you die to a regular player. Killer can see the loot first, after the time delay everyone can see it. Only difference is that an ironman who kills someone and sees the loot first can't actually loot it.

Thanks, our Lord and savior.
Image

Sysadmin
User avatar
Posts: 4144
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:00 am
Location: Belgium

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Rapsey » Sun May 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Ayoisno1 wrote:To me, it seems like you think that if you die and the killer doesnt pick up your loot, it will be visible straight away to you. Well that is not the case. i think that the the rest of the players and the player who died should see the loot at the exact same time, being 2 minutes or w.e after the death.

Slap a ho wrote:This is how it is in osrs. The player who died has the same chance to loot as the other players who did not get the kill. The only exception is untradeables.

Thanks for pointing that out. They must've changed it then, back in my day items became visible to both killer and victim immediately and to everyone else after 2 minutes. Just like PvM deaths really.

Azu rite wrote:Why must we overcomplicate everything?

Make it the same as osrs...
Whenever an ironman gets the kill, they can see the loot, but not pick it up then after two minutes everyone can see the loot pile...

This actually gets my vote if it's doable but it may actually be a lot more complicated to implement (to answer the why). There is currently no mechanism built-in for drops that you can see but not pick up, so in code it's a lot simpler to make use of the existing mechanisms for who get to see drops.

Honor Player
User avatar
Posts: 7984
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:07 am
Location: Middle Earth

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Adamthalion » Sun May 12, 2019 3:54 pm

Rapsey wrote:There is currently no mechanism built-in for drops that you can see but not pick up, so in code it's a lot simpler to make use of the existing mechanisms for who get to see drops.

Then make it not visible to anyone for 2 minutes, and then visible to everyone at the same time. Same effect, ironman just cant see the loot.

Premium Donator
User avatar
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 am

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Monys » Sun May 12, 2019 7:16 pm

I'm not even sure as to why this went to poll. It should function as OSRS does if that is the direction the server is heading.. As mentioned before, it leads to PKers having absolutely no reason not to attack ironman accounts if they are able to run back and retrieve their items if they die. Having it so the same IP could pick up the items in the 2 minute window would be interesting to see implemented but like Rapsey said if that takes too much dev time then it isn't really worth it.

so TL:DR it should function like OSRS and become visible to everyone in 2 minutes.

Sysadmin
User avatar
Posts: 4144
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:00 am
Location: Belgium

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Rapsey » Sun May 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Monys wrote:Having it so the same IP could pick up the items in the 2 minute window would be interesting to see implemented but like Rapsey said if that takes too much dev time then it isn't really worth it.

I'm not sure I see the benefit in making this IP-based. The only reason I can see would be so you can immediately loot your own items on a conveniently located alt, before anyone else has the chance. That doesn't seem like a good mechanic to me.

It seems clear that the loot should become visible to the victim and everyone else at the same time. Only real question is whether it should happen immediately or after 2 minutes. Of those two options I'm in favor of doing it after 2 minutes because otherwise the victim has no chance of getting back in time, and of course because that's how OSRS does it. Unfortunately we didn't add that as a poll option.

EDIT: I've reworded the existing poll options and added this as a third option. If anyone feels the same way please reconsider your vote.

Premium Donator
User avatar
Posts: 1466
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:26 am

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Slap a ho » Sun May 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Rapsey wrote:
Monys wrote:Having it so the same IP could pick up the items in the 2 minute window would be interesting to see implemented but like Rapsey said if that takes too much dev time then it isn't really worth it.

I'm not sure I see the benefit in making this IP-based. The only reason I can see would be so you can immediately loot your own items on a conveniently located alt, before anyone else has the chance. That doesn't seem like a good mechanic to me.

No, don't do this. IP-based is stupid. If you're pking on an iron, then you are obviously aware you're not able to loot someone's stuff. If you want to loot, pk on your main.

Rapsey wrote:EDIT: I've reworded the existing poll options and added this as a third option. If anyone feels the same way please reconsider your vote.

Recommend clearing previous votes. Skewed data with new poll options doesn't provide accurate poll results.
Image

Premium Donator
User avatar
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 am

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Monys » Mon May 13, 2019 5:35 am

Slap a ho wrote:
Rapsey wrote:
Monys wrote:Having it so the same IP could pick up the items in the 2 minute window would be interesting to see implemented but like Rapsey said if that takes too much dev time then it isn't really worth it.

I'm not sure I see the benefit in making this IP-based. The only reason I can see would be so you can immediately loot your own items on a conveniently located alt, before anyone else has the chance. That doesn't seem like a good mechanic to me.

No, don't do this. IP-based is stupid. If you're pking on an iron, then you are obviously aware you're not able to loot someone's stuff. If you want to loot, pk on your main.

Rapsey wrote:EDIT: I've reworded the existing poll options and added this as a third option. If anyone feels the same way please reconsider your vote.

Recommend clearing previous votes. Skewed data with new poll options doesn't provide accurate poll results.


I didn't really think about using a lower level alt to essentially MULE after the kill. Yeah it should be visible to everyone after 2 minutes (obviously non iron)

I agree with resetting the votes as people might not come back to this and vote.

Programmer
User avatar
Posts: 5646
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: PkHonor HQ

Re: What happens to items when killed by an iron?

Postby Mike » Mon May 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Azu rite wrote:Why must we overcomplicate everything?


Make it the same as osrs...
Whenever an ironman gets the kill, they can see the loot, but not pick it up then after two minutes everyone can see the loot pile...


I can agree with that. The current poll results also seem to point in that direction, so I've implemented it this way. Thanks for the feedback!

PreviousNext

Return to Polls

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests