What should the cost of construction materials be?

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

What do you think of the proposed XP rates and prices?

Everything seems fine
61%
I disagree with both prices and XP rates
18%
I disagree with the prices but the XP rates are fine
14%
I disagree with the XP rates but the prices are fine
7%

Total votes: 28

Mike
Programmer

What should the cost of construction materials be?

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Players will need to get construction materials in order to build furniture and gain construction XP. These can be gotten either through skilling or through trading with other players. All construction materials can be traded to others.

The XP you get for a piece of furniture depends entirely on the materials you need to make it. The level of the furniture has no impact on the XP.

The materials (and how you can obtain them) are as follows:
-> Plank, oak plank, teak plank, mahogany plank: cutting normal, oak, teak and mahogany trees, then either using the plank make spell on each log or bringing an inventory of logs to the sawmill operator (will be found in the workshop just West of Seer's village bank). At a cost (per plank), the sawmill operator will turn your logs into plaks.
Gives a decent amount of XP but has a cost to it

-> Bolt of cloth: sold in the crafting shop
Gives almost no XP but is also quite cheap

-> Soft clay: mining clay in the crafting guild (or clay rocks in other places but the crafting guild is the easiest), then using the soft clay on a water source (like a sink - when using one clay with a water source, all clay in your inventory will be turned to soft clay)
Gives almost no XP since it's free and easy to get

-> Limestone block: mined at limestone rocks in the crafting guild. You'll need a chisel and hammer in your inventory, as well as a mining level of 10 and a crafting level of 12.
Gives almost no XP since it's free and easy to get

-> Marble block: mined at marble rocks in the crafting guild. You'll need a chisel and hammer in your inventory, as well as a mining and crafting level of 99.
Gives a bit of XP (more than limestone), but less than planks since marble blocks cost nothing to get

-> Gold leaves: mine gold ore at gold rocks, smith them into gold bars at any furnace and then bring the gold bars to the stonemason found in the crafting guild. He'll craft them into gold leaves at a price.
Gives a good amount of XP but costs a lot of money (fastest but most expensive way)

-> Magic stone: only obtainable through clue scroll rewards. Clue scrolls will hopefully be implemented at the same time the construction skill is released.
Gives a lot of XP but rare and thus hard to obtain

-> Steel bar, nails: through smithing
Gives almost no XP

-> Bagged plants: bought in a shop
XP depends on the cost of the bagged plant. Low level plants are cheap and give little XP, high level plants (like a magic tree) will give some XP.

Now, I'm working to determine the cost of the construction skill as well as the XP you'll be getting for each construction material. Below is a list of the materials and what I think their XP and cost should be.
The overall thought process is that the skill should be very expensive to train. However, there are also options for players to train their skill basically for free (clay, limestone and marble) but at a very slow rate. The higher the XP rate for a material, the higher its cost per XP.
Mahogany planks will be to be the most interesting material to use, as it gives you the most bang (xp) for your buck (coins).
Please let me know what you think of the prices and XP rates as listed below.

-> Normal plank: 150 xp
Oak plank: 250 xp
Teak plank: 350 xp
Mahogany plank: 500 xp

Plank make spell: 2 astral runes, 15 earth runes, 10 nature runes. 2 x 380 + 15 x 230 + 10 x 3500 = 39,210 coins per plank
Sawmill: 50,000 coins per plank

-> Bolt of cloth: 5 xp
Shop: 1000 coins

-> Soft clay: 5 xp
(free)

-> Limestone block: 10 xp
(free)

-> Marble block: 70 xp
(free)

-> Gold leaf: 1,000 xp
150,000 coins per gold leaf (to turn gold bars into gold leaves at the stonemason)

-> Magic stone: 5,000 xp
(free - clue scroll reward)

-> Steel bar: 2 xp
(free)

-> Nails: 0 xp
(free)

-> Bagged plants: 1 xp - 1,000 xp
Shop: 200 coins - 200,000 coins

Rawr
Premium Donator

Re: What should the cost of construction materials be?

Post by Rawr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Gold Leaf = 1950M for Lv99.

That's not expensive enough for the fastest XP IMO. You also only need 2600 Gold Bars for 99. That won't take too long at all.

--------------

Planks will cost almost as much to use to reach 99, I think, considering the numbers needed per item and their XP. Also, considering their speed in comparison to Gold Leaves, the cost is almost irrelevant to most people.

Overall: I believe the faster XP rates need higher costs still. 5M per Gold Leaf would make it less viable for most people, so it wouldn't just be the 'easy but slightly more expensive' option for most. Other than that, I'm REALLY excited at how far you've come in this skill, I can't wait to try it! Thank you for letting us put our input into even the pricing of the skill. Yay4Mike.
Last edited by Rawr on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pleaseno1

Post by Pleaseno1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Hepheastus wrote:Gold Leaf = 1950M for Lv99.

That's not expensive enough for the fastest XP IMO. You also only need 2600 Gold Bars for 99. That won't take too long at all.
True, but you have to buy rooms and a house aswell, so everything adds up in the end :P Eventho if you want to make items to add in your house.

Maybe a lil more expensive for the mahogany and gold bars to make into leafes, other than that, everything seems fine.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Good point, I've hereby lowered the XP to 1,000 and the price to 150,000 coins per gold leaf.
This way, using gold leafs as your main source of XP will get you to level 99 twice as fast as using mahogany planks but will also cost you 1.5 times as much (1950M instead of 1300M). If I would make the gold leaves cost twice as much (2600M instead of 1300M), using gold leaves would not be worth it and everyone would stick to planks.

Rawr
Premium Donator

Post by Rawr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Mike wrote:

Good point, I've hereby lowered the XP to 1,000 and the price to 150,000 coins per gold leaf.
This way, using gold leafs as your main source of XP will get you to level 99 twice as fast as using mahogany planks but will also cost you 1.5 times as much (1950M instead of 1300M). If I would make the gold leaves cost twice as much (2600M instead of 1300M), using gold leaves would not be worth it and everyone would stick to planks.

Good plan :P

::love Mike

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Update: I've hereby also lowered the amount of astral runes you'll need for the plank make spell. As it was before, it wouldn't be interesting to use the spell at all as nature runes are hard to obtain and it's slower than the sawmill. The spell will now cost about 39k coins instead of 46k. This makes it a viable alternative to the sawmill - 10k per plank cheaper but also slower as you have to make the planks one by one.

I'm hoping this will give the runecrafting skill a boost as people will be begging for nature runes.

Rick
Unstoppable

Post by Rick » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Prices should be higher. Xp rates seem to be fine. It will probably turn into a skill wich can be 99 in like 5hours..

Oh well still no stuff for die-hard skillers.. perhaps the completionist cape can be made worth something?

What about prices for house sizes? Those where extremely low.. has that been closed?

Construction is a moneysink skill, but how it looks now its not taking out that much.. :p

Rawr
Premium Donator

Post by Rawr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Rick wrote:Prices should be higher. Xp rates seem to be fine. It will probably turn into a skill wich can be 99 in like 5hours..

Oh well still no stuff for die-hard skillers.. perhaps the completionist cape can be made worth something?

What about prices for house sizes? Those where extremely low.. has that been closed?

Construction is a moneysink skill, but how it looks now its not taking out that much.. :p
It's 1B+ a person if they use Gold Leaves, or 500M or so if they use Planks. Considering the number of players + buying house sizes, it seems fair. We don't want it being a skill that only a few people can even afford to train. You gotta remember about those going for 2B too ;)

Pleaseno1

Post by Pleaseno1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:27 pm

Rick wrote:Prices should be higher. Xp rates seem to be fine. It will probably turn into a skill wich can be 99 in like 5hours..

Uhm. Say atleast 1b per person. 100 wants to get it. that's 100b out of eco. If they want to redo something in their house, it cost to make planks, ect. Cost fo the room, ect everything adds up and lots of cash gets taken out. It's maybe not much for you, because of other peoples bank, but it's alot if you think about buying the supplies aswell.

Rawr
Premium Donator

Post by Rawr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:33 pm

B0rnt0b3pk wrote:

Uhm. Say atleast 1b per person. 100 wants to get it. that's 100b out of eco. If they want to redo something in their house, it cost to make planks, ect. Cost fo the room, ect everything adds up and lots of cash gets taken out. It's maybe not much for you, because of other peoples bank, but it's alot if you think about buying the supplies aswell.
Exactly, it's 1B+ for 99. Not including designing the house.