Divine spirit shield changes

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

How should the Divine spirit shield work?

Keep it the same, but make it act as an Elysian shield in PvP
78%
Change it to the suggested idea (50% chance to reduce 20% damage, 30% chance to recoil 20% damage)
15%
Change it to the suggested idea but lower the damage recoil
No votes
Change it to the suggested idea but lower the damage reduction
No votes
Change it to the suggested idea but lower both damage reduction & recoil
No votes
None of the above, I have my own suggestion posted below
7%

Total votes: 60

Mike
Programmer

Divine spirit shield changes

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Disclaimer: there will also be a minor change to the Korasi's sword, along with a bugfix for the Dragonfire Shield special (to make it no longer possible to hit it between 2 regular attacks) that go along with changing the Divine spirit shield.

As for the Korasi's sword, I need some input (or references to current discussion threads) so we know what best to do with it.

Anyway, the Divine spirit shield: an item that is not present in OSRS, but far too overpowered in RS3 as it gives 30% damage reduction. On PkHonor, it only gives 20% damage reduction, but it is still considered too strong, especially in PvP situations.

Judging on one of the more recent community polls on the divine spirit shield, it appears most are in favour of making it act as an Elysian spirit shield when used in PvP. However, if we're going to change the Divine effect anyway, we might as well change the effect to something that works the same in both PvM and PvP, while keeping the value about the same but having it far less OP in the wilderness.

Therefore, my suggestion would be to change the effect as such (in both PvM and PvP):
  • 50% chance to reduce 20% damage (does not cost prayer points)
  • 30% chance to recoil 20% of the damage dealt to you
Both chances work independently from each other, so there is a chance that neither effect will occur and there is a chance that both effects will occur (but if both happen, the 20% recoiled damage will be based on the 80% damage dealt rather than the full 100% damage)

For comparison, the Elysian spirit shield has a 70% chance to reduce 25% of the damage. We do not plan on changing this, unless there is overwhelming community support to also change (or nerf) the Elysian spirit shield.

These numbers could be changed slightly of course (higher/lower chance, higher/lower damage reduction & recoil), but first I would like to know if the community is in favour of this suggested change. If not, please present your own ideas!

I2aw origins
Premium Donator

Re: Divine spirit shield changes

Post by I2aw origins » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:09 pm

Keep it the same, and act as an elysian in PVP. The problem is with PVP, no need to punish pvmers to help pkers.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:11 pm

I2aw origins wrote:Keep it the same, and act as an elysian in PVP. The problem is with PVP, no need to punish pvmers to help pkers.
PvM'ers are hardly "punished". The damage reduction is somewhat lower, but their damage output will be higher. Not to mention there is no longer a prayer point cost, so this does not affect PvM in any negative way. Just a small change in how it works.

Txpn
Honor Player

Post by Txpn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Acting as elysian in Pvp has my vote!

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Mike wrote:Therefore, my suggestion would be to change the effect as such (in both PvM and PvP):
50% chance to reduce 20% damage (does not cost prayer points)
30% chance to recoil 20% of the damage dealt to you
While I think this is a cool idea, it would be horribly difficult to explain this to a player. Best to keep things simple. Make divine act as Ely in pvp.

I2aw origins
Premium Donator

Post by I2aw origins » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:14 pm

Mike wrote:
I2aw origins wrote:Keep it the same, and act as an elysian in PVP. The problem is with PVP, no need to punish pvmers to help pkers.
PvM'ers are hardly "punished". The damage reduction is somewhat lower, but their damage output will be higher. Not to mention there is no longer a prayer point cost, so this does not affect PvM in any negative way. Just a small change in how it works.
Punished was a poor choice of words. No need to change how things work in PVM to keep pkers happy. Divine isn't OP in pvm by any means, and in some cases an elysian works better as is. I like the uniqueness that Pkhonor has sometimes, but at the same time making arbitrary stats for items makes it harder to go from OSRS/RS3 or other servers to pkhonor because of the amount of little things that are different.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Adamthalion wrote:
Mike wrote:Therefore, my suggestion would be to change the effect as such (in both PvM and PvP):
50% chance to reduce 20% damage (does not cost prayer points)
30% chance to recoil 20% of the damage dealt to you
While I think this is a cool idea, it would be horribly difficult to explain this to a player. Best to keep things simple. Make divine act as Ely in pvp.
I thought having it the same in PvM and PvP was the easiest thing to explain to players. But yes, having only damage reduction is still easier to explain than a recoil effect.

In any case, if players just want it to be like an Elysian in PvP, who am I to say otherwise.

There is however one thing about the Elysian: with 25% damage reduction in 70% of cases, you'll get 17.5% damage reduction on average, at no prayer point cost, making it pretty much as strong as a divine spirit shield's 20% damage reduction, even in PvP. The only differences are the RNG factor and the lack of a prayer point cost.

B0rnt0b3pk
Fanatic

Post by B0rnt0b3pk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Personally I would choose to remove the spirit shield effects in PVP alltogether, and make them work like the regular ss. The problem is those shields are overpowered in PVP but not at PVM, making them way too hard to balance out poperly without undermining their personal effects. If done so, you would open the option of the other three shields to come into consideration and utilized, and that would be much better (farseer, eagle eye and chotic kiteshield). However if that is not in the cards, I would go with option 1 and devalue the divine effect and make it to reg ely effect (which makes it more bareable).
ImageImage

Wet wizard
Premium Donator

Post by Wet wizard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Do not make it recoil damage, seems a bit ghetto and unusual tbh, idk. Doesn't seem fitting.

In regards to DFS, can you also give it the proper GFX? =] (the giant fireball that shoots out of it) And maybe a properly delay? (making the damage register after the animation instead of instantly)

R3v k1ller
Honor Player

Post by R3v k1ller » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:49 pm

In osrs yes there is no divine, and there is an ely, but lets be honest, hardly anybody pks with that as its expensive. In PKH everybody can afford to pk with a divine or ely, this is why the issue came up in the first place.

My suggestion is make ely and divine both work like custom whips in the wild, where the effect works in pvm, but stops completely in pvp.

Pking is about K0's and divine/ely just remove the max hit and turn pking into a game of waste 10 minutes and then tab.
Last edited by R3v k1ller on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.