Wilderness PvM achievements

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

PvM requirements: flat killcount or item drop?

Preference for flat killcount requirements
50%
Preference for item drop requirements
48%
No preference either way
2%

Total votes: 42

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Re: Wilderness PvM achievements

Post by Azu rite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Unless you're an ironman rng has nothing to do with "completing" the game

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Azu rite wrote:Unless you're an ironman rng has nothing to do with "completing" the game
Agreed

Andres
Developer

Post by Andres » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Adamthalion wrote:
Azu rite wrote:Unless you're an ironman rng has nothing to do with "completing" the game
Agreed
So how do you get money on your main? (Besides skilling/donating)
Killing monsters that give you drops (hey there RNG) so you could sell those drops for money and you do with that money what you want.

So once again, RNG is a part of this game.
Without drops (that are RNG based) you can't do anything, unless you're a skiller (but the majority on here is not).

That's my perspective,
I just hate it when people say RNG has nothing to do with completing a game.
Because in my opinion it is.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Andres wrote:
Adamthalion wrote:
Agreed
So how do you get money on your main? (Besides skilling/donating)
Killing monsters that give you drops (hey there RNG) so you could sell those drops for money and you do with that money what you want.

So once again, RNG is a part of this game.
Without drops (that are RNG based) you can't do anything, unless you're a skiller (but the majority on here is not).

That's my perspective,
I just hate it when people say RNG has nothing to do with completing a game.
Because in my opinion it is.
I think a better way of putting it is that you don't need to get a certain drop to complete the game as a regular player. Ive done plenty of GWD, but I havent gotten every drop from every boss. I made like 400b or something from 2b slayer, but didn't get every drop. I would still consider that 'complete' for a regular player though.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Adamthalion wrote: I think a better way of putting it is that you don't need to get a certain drop to complete the game as a regular player. Ive done plenty of GWD, but I havent gotten every drop from every boss. I made like 400b or something from 2b slayer, but didn't get every drop. I would still consider that 'complete' for a regular player though.
Yeah, but thankfully we're only talking about (un)common item drops here - we wouldn't include rares for completion otherwise it might take days for just one task :P

The choice between an item drop and flat killcount mostly comes down to a preference between RNG and flat amounts.

I wouldn't really have a problem at using an item drop and always putting an alternative for flat kills (with, say, 3x the killcount requirement as it would normally take before you get the item drop), but the task list would get pretty huge as every "obtain item Y from boss Z" would also need to have "or kill boss Z X times". At this point I'm more concerned about the way we can fit all that properly in an interface - without players getting confused about it.

Other than a way to counter possible dry streaks, I do see one reasoning for adding the killcount as alternative: so those players and veterans who already killed a lot of a certain boss would have that task already completed. Similar to how having player kills in the wilderness (in general) will already count towards partial completion of certain PvP tasks.

Troll n roll
Premium Donator

Post by Troll n roll » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:42 am

Yeah, I'd like to see get item X over get Y kills. Adds some excitement to getting drops.
Adam the lion wrote:If you are making super pots for profit on an rsps, you really need to re-evaluate your life.

Accumulate

Post by Accumulate » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Let's just scrap the whole idea and continue on as it exists, no wild PvM achievements. If it came down to it I would prefer a KC which was automatically fulfilled by my existing KC.

Migetmanz
Premium Donator

Post by Migetmanz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:35 pm

what about on the flip side. If your RNG is really "good?" then you get the drop in 1-3 kills and the player moves on. Never really experiencing the boss... it all seems to even out to me tbh

Txpn
Honor Player

Post by Txpn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:16 am

Mike wrote:There appears to be some disagreement about whether the PvM achievements for the upcoming Wilderness Achievement Diary should be based on pure killcount or on drops. The main reason I chose item drop tasks such as "obtain a treasonous ring" is because this makes it not purely a countdown ("17 more and I'm done") but a far more dynamic and exciting task, because every kill could potentially mean the completion of your task. Some may think this is something negative (as they have no power over how many kills it takes - other than droprate boosting equipment), but in the end, it's the RNG that makes up most of the fun and excitement of an online game. Would you enjoy PvM as much if an item would take exactly X kills before it drops?

I do want to make sure that for item drop requirements, we only use items that are semi-rare or uncommon (so you should in practice always be able to obtain the drop within, say, 20 boss kills, or maybe 40 - 50 boss kills in very rare cases).

This poll will not determine the final decision on how the tasks will be implemented, but if there is an overwhelming support for a flat killcount rather than item drops, we may want to reconsider our approach.

The this idea, keep it at obtaining the item I think. Otherwise it falls into being a little too much like Slayer.

Txpn - Chris

Simon
Honor Player

Post by Simon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:03 am

As long as it's not drops that are 1/100+, it should 100% be RNG based.

We have enough grinding shit on here