Wilderness PvM achievements

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

PvM requirements: flat killcount or item drop?

Preference for flat killcount requirements
50%
Preference for item drop requirements
48%
No preference either way
2%

Total votes: 42

Mike
Programmer

Wilderness PvM achievements

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 pm

There appears to be some disagreement about whether the PvM achievements for the upcoming Wilderness Achievement Diary should be based on pure killcount or on drops. The main reason I chose item drop tasks such as "obtain a treasonous ring" is because this makes it not purely a countdown ("17 more and I'm done") but a far more dynamic and exciting task, because every kill could potentially mean the completion of your task. Some may think this is something negative (as they have no power over how many kills it takes - other than droprate boosting equipment), but in the end, it's the RNG that makes up most of the fun and excitement of an online game. Would you enjoy PvM as much if an item would take exactly X kills before it drops?

I do want to make sure that for item drop requirements, we only use items that are semi-rare or uncommon (so you should in practice always be able to obtain the drop within, say, 20 boss kills, or maybe 40 - 50 boss kills in very rare cases).

This poll will not determine the final decision on how the tasks will be implemented, but if there is an overwhelming support for a flat killcount rather than item drops, we may want to reconsider our approach.

Ruler
Honor Player

Re: Wilderness PvM achievements

Post by Ruler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:56 pm

I've had like 12 rings in what? 300-400 kills or so? Surely that's common enough. I don't really see a reason not to want this, except as you already said for items that are too rare (diamonds, steadfasts etc).

We already have pvm requirements (outside wildy) that are just about the kills. Would be nice to just have a mix of these two tasks.

Andres
Developer

Post by Andres » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Please RNG based tasks.
People who vote against that are just lazy IMO.
Luck is a part of the game so I don't see why we would exclude RNG based tasks.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Andres wrote:Please RNG based tasks.
Why? Because some players could only have to kill a handful, while some players won't get it after thousands of kills... It has nothing to do with being lazy...

Andres
Developer

Post by Andres » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Azu rite wrote:
Andres wrote:Please RNG based tasks.
Why? Because some players could only have to kill a handful, while some players won't get it after thousands of kills... It has nothing to do with being lazy...

No one is talking about thousands.

Read carefully please :
I do want to make sure that for item drop requirements, we only use items that are semi-rare or uncommon (so you should in practice always be able to obtain the drop within, say, 20 boss kills, or maybe 40 - 50 boss kills in very rare cases).

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Andres wrote: No one is talking about thousands.

Read carefully please :
^ this. The only items we want included in these tasks are the items that never take more than 50 kills to obtain. So dry streaks could not be an issue.

Pvm keagan
Known Venturer

Post by Pvm keagan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:02 pm

I feel people having to achieve an item drop within the wilderness is better than a killcount preference why?

Right for those who think it's easier just obtaining the kill count think about this? When you look at the drop ratio for items in drop wiki it will say "Ultra rare" is 1-1000 kills right? So if you had for example obtain a "elite clue scroll" from wildwyrm this is on a range of 1-250 if I'm not mistaken. From previous experience I was able to obtain a elite clue scroll within 1-15 kills therefore if you had a task of say killing 50 wilderness wyrms over obtaining 1 elite clue scroll which would it be? I would go for option A this is because there is always that slight possibility of achieving said item on first kill therefore saving you countless of hours or kills on that task to allow you to move to the next.

The whole point of this is to give those in the wilderness a chance at risk that meaning spending tons of time trying to obtain the item for task to be successful or spend 5 minutes and be successful.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 pm

How about something like...

Obtain a visage from kbd or 50-100 kills? Or something along those lines that way if you do happen to go on a dry streak then you'll still get covered in kills

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Azu rite wrote:How about something like...

Obtain a visage from kbd or 50-100 kills? Or something along those lines that way if you do happen to go on a dry streak then you'll still get covered in kills
Makes sense. Put the kc at like 2x-3x the drop rate just so if someone goes super dry they arent screwed.

Andres
Developer

Post by Andres » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Azu rite wrote:How about something like...

That would take away(for me at least) :
but in the end, it's the RNG that makes up most of the fun and excitement of an online game. Would you enjoy PvM as much if an item would take exactly X kills before it drops?
Why covering the RNG up with flat kills? it would make the RNG perspective useless, if you know you will complete the task anyways at x amount of kills.