-1 range on magic spells?

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

Lower the range on magic spells to 7?

Yes, lower the range by 1
46%
No, keep magic range the same but buff ranged attack ranges
31%
No, keep all ranges the same, but I have an alternative idea
No votes
Keep everything the same as it is, nothing needs to change
23%

Total votes: 13

Mike
Programmer

-1 range on magic spells?

Post by Mike » Wed May 13, 2015 5:37 pm

Right now, the ranges of magic and ranged attacks as follows:

Magic attacks: 8

Ranged attacks:
Zaryte bow, saradomin bow, zamorak bow, guthix bow: 10
Longbows, dark bow, magic comp bow, seercull, crystal bow and hand cannon: 8
Shortbows, crossbows and chinchompas: 7, but 8 on long-range
Javelins and toktz-xil-ul: 5, but 7 on long-range
Knives and thrownaxes: 4, but 6 on long-range
Darts: 3, but 5 on long-range

I've often heard the complaint that magic is pretty much the strongest combat type in pVp on PkHonor, especially when someone is using a third-age druidic set.
That being said, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to lower the range of magic attacks to 7.

Alternatively, we could also buff the range of ranged attacks, giving longbows a range of 9 when on long-range (instead of always 8), while buffing the normal and longrange range on shortbows and crossbows to be always 8. However, that wouldn't help melee players of course.

We can always keep the ranges as they are, but then I'd like to ask for suggestions on how we can lower the amount of nuisance that comes from farcasters.

Rawr
Premium Donator

Re: -1 range on magic spells?

Post by Rawr » Wed May 13, 2015 5:41 pm

You're supposed to be able to hit players using Magic with crossbows on long range and the majority of bows on longrange. The problem with magic is that it is too accurate and hits too hard, too often. Reducing the magic range by 1, so that players can fight back with Accurate, however, would probably be a welcomed change. It isn't the only one required though.

Not only this, but how magic spells deal damage is also broken. On 07, if you cast a spell it has to 'reach' them first; the attack damage and effect (ie freezing) is NOT instantaneous. Changing this to as it is in 07 will make hybridding significantly better because you won't be frozen so frequently before you can reach your target, as the freeze won't occur the moment the XP drops.

Specifically on far casters, the problem with them is that they can just stand away from you, equip a divine, use protection prayers and keep their HP up high, making them nearly impossible to kill, especially if they have HP boosting gear on top of this. A player with Staff of Light (for special attack, although this isn't always used if people are in full 3a), full HP boosting gear, protection prayers and combo food will simply never die unless they make a mistake because you can't hit through divine, protection prayer, 150HP and eating. Coupled with the fact that they can hit constant 30s or 40s, you really have no chance and changing the range of certain weapons won't fix that. If you want to sort that out, remove HP boosts from the PVP in the Wilderness (but keep it if the player is in PVM in Wilderness). Druidic is still BiS because of the damage boost and Nex gears still have tons of other uses. Removing their ability to fuck over others in the Wilderness won't be missed by most of the community.
Last edited by Rawr on Wed May 13, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Wed May 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Long range is non existant on this server, to counter the effects of farcasting rangers, can we have the bolas please?

http://forums.pkhonor.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=9804

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Wed May 13, 2015 6:14 pm

Azu rite wrote:Long range is non existant on this server, to counter the effects of farcasting rangers, can we have the bolas please?

Amazing, so shortbows and crossbows never had a working long-range attack setting, even though I always thought that worked.

This bug will be fixed in the next server update - I only wish I'd known of its existence earlier.

As for nerfing 3rd-age druidic and other HP-boosting sets in the wilderness: I'm all for it to be honest, but then I think I'd do a partial nerf, rather than a complete nerf (for example +5 HP/piece in the wild instead of the usual +10HP/piece) as well as a small nerf on its max hit to make it on par with the other mage gear.

Rawr
Premium Donator

Post by Rawr » Wed May 13, 2015 6:16 pm

Mike wrote:
Azu rite wrote:Long range is non existant on this server, to counter the effects of farcasting rangers, can we have the bolas please?

Amazing, so shortbows and crossbows never had a working long-range attack setting, even though I always thought that worked.

This bug will be fixed in the next server update - I only wish I'd known of its existence earlier.

As for nerfing 3rd-age druidic and other HP-boosting sets in the wilderness: I'm all for it to be honest, but then I think I'd do a partial nerf, rather than a complete nerf (for example +5 HP/piece in the wild instead of the usual +10HP/piece) as well as a small nerf on its max hit to make it on par with the other mage gear.
Perhaps limit them to the same boost Choc-ice gives, so combined they boost your HP to 126~, rather than 160~ ? Even +5 each would put the total boostable HP up to 145~, which is ridiculous.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Wed May 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Mike wrote:

Only realized it recently tbh

Rainingagain
Known Venturer

Post by Rainingagain » Wed May 13, 2015 7:06 pm

Just having long range work would definitely help with people in wildly that be getting ragged. As Rawr stated above, I do think Druidic has too much of a HP boost along with how overpowered it is. I watched someone get ragged in range gear, d'hide though not being the BEST magic protection, it should do a decent amount. The guy was sitting there getting hit constant 35s+, with the occasional 45. The guy didn't even have the chance to hit the ragger, since he was at 7 and the ragger was at 8.

So just fixing the range at which range can hit, would be a big plus, along with fixing Druidic would make it a little more fair in the wildly.

Simon
Honor Player

Post by Simon » Wed May 13, 2015 7:21 pm

Fixing long-ranged is enough imo..

Rawr
Premium Donator

Post by Rawr » Wed May 13, 2015 7:34 pm

Simon wrote:Fixing long-ranged is enough imo..
Hitting low and infrequently doesn't really make up for much. You can already fight back with magic yourself and that doesn't even begin to even the playing field at all.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Wed May 13, 2015 7:38 pm

Rawr wrote:
Simon wrote:Fixing long-ranged is enough imo..
Hitting low and infrequently doesn't really make up for much. You can already fight back with magic yourself and that doesn't even begin to even the playing field at all.
Void vs virtus = even, sometimes even out hitting, void vs drudic, lol no chance
Last edited by Azu rite on Wed May 13, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.