Construction Skill

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

Yes to this suggestion?

Love it - yes
69%
It should be as easy as other skills - no
27%
Not sure - other
4%

Total votes: 81

Ivy
Premium Donator

Re: Construction Skill

Post by Ivy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Zi wrote:Another point of view: If 99 costs more than max cash, who wouldn't just ::setlevel it to 99?
cause you cant setlevel it?

Maurits
Honor Player

Post by Maurits » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Shouldn't be insanely hard.

Thunt
Wise One

Post by Thunt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Vcom wrote:
The divinity wrote:You guys are fucking ridiculous, we're an RSPS. We're made to be easy, 5B for a fucking skill that serves no major good to the game will make nobody use it. People won't spend 1B on a skill that takes forever to do because it's fucking pointless.
1B to a skill.

Look at prayer.
Skillers doesnt find Skilling pointless
Prayer has a good use, and Prayer is a necessary skill for PvM & Pk'ing. Construction is good for skillers, nothing more.
I'm an individual, yeah, but I'm part of a movement.

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:17 pm

A few things I'd like to say, however please note that none of the below are final. They may be changed if we (or the players) think they should be done differently. Let me know your opinion about them.

-> For the people who gather all their own resources, the skill will be cheaper. Then you'd only need to purchase the house and rooms themselves, although these will also be expensive. A house itself will only be a few million coins, but for each room you add you'll pay more money (the first room will be cheap, the second will be more expensive etc.)
-> Construction resources themselves (such as planks and limestone blocks) will most likely be untradeable. However, flatpacks (made on a workbench in your workshop) will be tradeable. Making flatpacks gives you construction XP, but using them will not.
-> The 'plank make' spell will most likely be enabled as an alternative to a sawmill (sawmill will probably be cheaper but will require people to run back and forth)
-> Certain resources are not obtainable trough skilling, such as bagged plants, unpowered orbs, marble blocks, bolts of cloth and gold loafs. In RS, you have to buy these from shops.
However, if we were to add these items to a shop, rich stakers could simply buy a lot of them and get their 99 construction level within the hour. Therefore, I'm not entirely sure yet how these items will be obtained.
One idea I have is the following: cloth can only be made through crafting (by using a needle on silk that you can buy in a shop - requires a crafting level), marble blocks are obtained from mining marble rocks (which do not yet exist but can be made) and gold loafs are gotten through smithing gold bars. Plants and orbs would then be the only things you have to buy in a store, but those would result in almost no construction xp, therefore being useless for training your construction.
-> A bank booth will be available within your house, so you don't need to constantly leave your house and re-enter to go get something from your bank. This will most likely be in the form of a chest within in a specific room (perhaps the costume room)

As for the construction skill itself, many argue that it is essentially a 'useless' skill. I am here to tell you that it is far from a useless skill - in fact it might be one of the most interesting ones.
Sure, several rooms offer little more than a good look (such as a throne room, dinner, bedroom, skill hall, ...). But many (if not most) rooms will also have an actual purpose and will have a use for players.

-> If you have a second garden (or formal garden), you will be able to add a Fountain of Heroes, allowing you (only you - not guests) to refill your spec bar, heal up and boost your prayer. Every player will be able to use this (not just premium members). But it would require a very high level to build it.
-> People will be able to build a chapel with an altar that multiplies the amount of XP you get per bone (even more than the regular 4X xp you get on altars). The better the altar, the higher the multiplier. That's a lot of money you can save right there.
-> Players will have the ability to repair chaotic and barrows equipment in their workshop at a lower cost than they normally would.
-> Players who craft items (jewelry, leather, ...) at a crafting table in their workshop will receive extra xp (the better the crafting table, the more xp)
-> Players will have the ability to add a dungeon, with their own NPC's. We have not yet determined which monsters will be available, but slayer monsters will certainly be amongst them - players will have their own slayer cave in their house. And yes, these monsters will drop items. If you are assigned a slayer task, and you have the assigned slayer monster within your POH dungeon, you will receive extra slayer XP for killing the monsters in your dungeon.
-> When cooking on a cooking range in your own kitchen, you will receive more xp and the burning rate will be lower, depending on the level of the range
-> HOWEVER, Skilling within another player their POH will NOT result in extra experience (for example, offering bones on another player their altar will only result in the regular 4X XP). Otherwise, it would be too easy for people to just enter other people their POH and profit from extra xp, without having to pay a single coin.
Then again, we are well aware that people love to do their skilling together, therefore we have thought of the following:
As soon as you have built the best available cooking range, built the best altar, built the best crafting table, planted a magical tree, built the best lectern, added the highest level slayer monster, ..., you will receive a pair of Brawling gloves associated with the skill (cooking, prayer, crafting, woodcutting, runecrafting, slayer, ...). When equipping these gloves within any POH (even that of another player), training the associated skill will result in the same XP bonus as you would receive in your own house.
This way, people must have invested in their own house before being able to use the extra XP rewards in other players their houses.

There will be far more features that the construction skill will offer, but as we're still in the early stages of development, a lot of them haven't been determined yet. I'll let you know they have.

Legit nukes
Premium Donator

Post by Legit nukes » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:55 pm

->Construction resources themselves (such as planks and limestone blocks) will most likely be untradeable. However, flatpacks (made on a workbench in your workshop) will be tradeable. Making flatpacks gives you construction XP, but using them will not.
-> The 'plank make' spell will most likely be enabled as an alternative to a sawmill (sawmill will probably be cheaper but will require people to run back and forth)
-> Certain resources are not obtainable trough skilling, such as bagged plants, unpowered orbs, marble blocks, bolts of cloth and gold loafs. In RS, you have to buy these from shops.
However, if we were to add these items to a shop, rich stakers could simply buy a lot of them and get their 99 construction level within the hour. Therefore, I'm not entirely sure yet how these items will be obtained.
One idea I have is the following: cloth can only be made through crafting (by using a needle on silk that you can buy in a shop - requires a crafting level), marble blocks are obtained from mining marble rocks (which do not yet exist but can be made) and gold loafs are gotten through smithing gold bars. Plants and orbs would then be the only things you have to buy in a store, but those would result in almost no construction xp, therefore being useless for training your construction.
Input #1

In real Runescape you are able to buy "Butlers" from a normal butler to a Demon butler, you should be able to "Order" these supplies and it should take a certain amount of time and gold, there should also be a limit to how much you can get at one time (But that will restrict people to how much they can build at once)

Input #2

Add the all the bag plants to a separate Pkp shop, make "Unpowered orbs" obtainable through a monster (Thus up to the players to put it into the economy) I really am stuck at marble and gold loaf though..

Input #3

Make them earn these items through the same way you earn "Strange rocks" In runescape, If you've ever played ruenscape their is a side quest in the museum that you must do ALL skills and earn two "Strange rocks" and add it to a statue to create the full statue for a good chunk of exp. These rocks are obtained by earning exp in ANY skill, you can only get two though.

For construction make it so whenever you are doing something EXP wise in your house you earn these items slowly but at lets say 3 at a time.

Just throwing out idea's, Love the work Mike, can't wait to try it out!
ImageImage

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:24 am

you can craft unpowered orbs on runescape?

Mike
Programmer

Post by Mike » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:36 am

Oh raelly wrote:you can craft unpowered orbs on runescape?
Through glassblowing...I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me, then it's only the bagged plants that we will need to sell in a shop :P
If we allow unpowered orbs to only be made through glassblowing, these could result in some decent XP as well then.

Ivy
Premium Donator

Post by Ivy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:47 am

Finally also adding new waya for crafting instead of doing hides sololy. I honestly cant wait for this massive update.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Mike wrote:
Oh raelly wrote:you can craft unpowered orbs on runescape?
Through glassblowing...I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me, then it's only the bagged plants that we will need to sell in a shop :P
If we allow unpowered orbs to only be made through glassblowing, these could result in some decent XP as well then.
Can we get glassblowing and the super glass make spell?

Moookymoo
Premium Donator

Post by Moookymoo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 am

If Hunter is hard and slow,I imagine what construction will be like...