Skilling Clues

Having a problem on the server? Post it here.
Elon musky
Premium Donator

Skilling Clues

Post by Elon musky » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:44 pm

The question that everyone wants to know.....

How are Skilling clue drop rates measured? By experience gained or by gather rate?

This is important because it would determine the meta that people should be resorting to in order to obtain clues.

I’ve done forums research and found this statement:
The difficulty is decided at random and the type of fish, tree or rock you mine has no influence on whether you get an easy or an elite clue. The level requirement and your fishing/woodcutting/mining level do however influence how often you will get a clue.
With this being said, the only real indictor is the last sentence, that the rates are higher for higher level material gathering.

The reason this is still unclear is because as we know, Pet drop rates are calculated by experience gained.

Fishing example: Rocktails give the highest experience and the require the highest level to obtain. Monkfish give a lower experience, but the gather rate is significantly faster, which makes it a better experience rate per hour. This makes Monkfish fishing better pet collection method than Rocktails.

So although Runite ore have the highest mining level requirement (which means they have the highest clue drop rate) , they are not the fastest mining experience method (other ore give less experience, but faster gathering rates).

I hope this question and examples make sense.

Uim legolas
Premium Donator

Re: Skilling Clues

Post by Uim legolas » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:30 pm

This makes it kind of sound like higher tier skilling (rocktails, runite ore, magic logs..) give you a higher chance at obtaining a clue each ore mined/fish caught. I'd assume this is compensated for lower tier skilling (monkfish, coal, logs...) because even with a lower chance each, you obtain them at a higher speed.

This is just how I read your quote (who did you quote btw?) and I have no clue about how it is actually calculated. Would indeed be nice to know.

Elon musky
Premium Donator

Post by Elon musky » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:55 pm

Uim legolas wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:30 pm This makes it kind of sound like higher tier skilling (rocktails, runite ore, magic logs..) give you a higher chance at obtaining a clue each ore mined/fish caught. I'd assume this is compensated for lower tier skilling (monkfish, coal, logs...) because even with a lower chance each, you obtain them at a higher speed.

This is just how I read your quote (who did you quote btw?) and I have no clue about how it is actually calculated. Would indeed be nice to know.
That quote was pulled from the thread upon release by Michael Angelo himself

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46718&p=640036&hil ... st#p640036

Akuizm
Premium Donator

Post by Akuizm » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:59 am

It's by gather rate I'm pretty sure. I asked the skilling god jousi himself a while back ago. I asked him if brawlers helped in giving clues faster but he said no it's still the same.

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 am

Akuizm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:59 am It's by gather rate I'm pretty sure. I asked the skilling god jousi himself a while back ago. I asked him if brawlers helped in giving clues faster but he said no it's still the same.
X for doubt, if it was gather rate mining pure essence with mining skill cape would be op clues, since you fill your inventory extremely quick..

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:34 am

Akuizm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:59 am It's by gather rate I'm pretty sure. I asked the skilling god jousi himself a while back ago. I asked him if brawlers helped in giving clues faster but he said no it's still the same.
The higher tier of skilling you're doing the more likely the clues.

You'll get more clues from magic trees than yew trees.

Elon musky
Premium Donator

Post by Elon musky » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:35 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 am
X for doubt, if it was gather rate mining pure essence with mining skill cape would be op clues, since you fill your inventory extremely quick..
Depends.....

It could definitely be on the gather, but tiered by level. Pure essence requires level 1 mining, which would give a 1/10000 clue chance, while something like coal requires level 40 to mine, and gives clues 1/4000. That’s where the confusion comes in with the quote saying that higher level requirement has better rates.

Because let’s just say these rates I said were realistic..... and clues were granted on gather..... then let’s make Rune ore 1/1000.... well, it would be faster to mine 4000 coal than 1000 Runite ore, making coal a better clue gathering method....

(In no way am I validating or invalidating Jousi’s hypothesis, but at the end of the day, it is just a hypothesis until confirmed)

Elon musky
Premium Donator

Post by Elon musky » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:37 am

Church wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:34 am

Actually.....

Magic trees have a higher drop rate than yew trees..... you can’t prove that Magic trees yield more clues until the above thread question is answered.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:49 am

Elon musky wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:37 am

Actually.....

Magic trees have a higher drop rate than yew trees..... you can’t prove that Magic trees yield more clues until the above thread question is answered.
I'm not doing this with you elon. The chance of getting a clue per tick of skilling or whatever, is higher for higher tier skilling. Imagine a world in which you collect all logs at the same speed, you would get the most clues from magic.

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:04 am

Church wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:49 am
Elon musky wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:37 am

Actually.....

I'm not doing this with you elon. The chance of getting a clue per tick of skilling or whatever, is higher for higher tier skilling. Imagine a world in which you collect all logs at the same speed, you would get the most clues from magic.
All the man's trying to do is find the most efficient method of grinding clues since it's so motherfucking hard to get easy, meds and hards