Once again having issues with the client

Having a problem on the server? Post it here.
Rayth
Premium Donator

Once again having issues with the client

Post by Rayth » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:01 am

I'm having the same issue with the jar file that I was experiencing a few days ago.

When I try to open the client in Linux terminal, it gets as far as "checking for cache version" before stalling. The client remains translucent, and glitches when I move it.

I've tried deleting the file, and re-downloading it, uninstalling and re-installing Java, and rebooting my computer. All to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Raj
Developer

Re: Once again having issues with the client

Post by Raj » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:01 pm

Hello again,

Try finding the “PkHonor” folder (it should be in your user folder, at least on Windows it is) and delete the “cache” folder inside of it. Then try the client. (EDIT: When you load the jar from CLI the cache folder location is printed to the terminal)

If that doesn’t work, it’s possible a firewall or anti malware service is blocking the download for whatever reason. I’m not going to outright recommend you turn them off, but if you were to do so, do not forget to turn them back on after. Let me know it goes if you give that a try.

Same as last time I’ll give it a go on my own VM and see what happens. It’s possible the last update caused something to break on Linux

Edit 2: I've downloaded the cache successfully. It's something specific to your machine. I'm not very familiar with Linux but the things that come to mind are:
'PkHonor' folder (and subfolder) permissions
Network connection issues
Java version

Rayth
Premium Donator

Post by Rayth » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:16 pm

Raj wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:01 pm Hello again,

Try finding the “PkHonor” folder (it should be in your user folder, at least on Windows it is) and delete the “cache” folder inside of it. Then try the client. (EDIT: When you load the jar from CLI the cache folder location is printed to the terminal)

If that doesn’t work, it’s possible a firewall or anti malware service is blocking the download for whatever reason. I’m not going to outright recommend you turn them off, but if you were to do so, do not forget to turn them back on after. Let me know it goes if you give that a try.

Same as last time I’ll give it a go on my own VM and see what happens. It’s possible the last update caused something to break on Linux

Edit 2: I've downloaded the cache successfully. It's something specific to your machine. I'm not very familiar with Linux but the things that come to mind are:
'PkHonor' folder (and subfolder) permissions
Network connection issues
Java version
I deleted my cache, and it didn't change anything. It can't be my firewall, because I didn't change anything when it started doing this the first time, nor this time. The permissions are fine, because I'm able to access them via the terminal.

My connection is fine.

I tried uninstalling, and re-installing JDE and that didn't do anything either. I didn't update Java, either.

Is there anything else that comes to mind that could possibly be the cause of the issue?

Edit: The terminal gave me an error upon closing the client. It is as follows:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at pkhonor.Client.OO(Unknown Source)
at pkhonor.mQzE.run(Unknown Source)
at pkhonor.Client.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Last edited by Rayth on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:20 pm

Nothing else unfortunately. If you give me your OS version I can try and replicate it. @Rapsey might be more well-versed in the specifics of what could cause a hang there if he has time to look into it

Rayth
Premium Donator

Post by Rayth » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:24 pm

Raj wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:20 pm Nothing else unfortunately. If you give me your OS version I can try and replicate it. @Rapsey might be more well-versed in the specifics of what could cause a hang there if he has time to look into it
"PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
VERSION_CODENAME=stretch
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/""

I also got an error when I closed the client this time, as noted above in my previous client.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:34 pm

Do you use Oracle Java or OpenJDK? You can find out by running this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

java -version
If it is OpenJDK you could try the portable client and start it by running the Play_PkHonor_Linux.sh startup script, that will make it use the bundled Oracle Java. I've been running PkHonor on Debian-based Linux using Oracle Java for years and never had any issues, although OpenJDK should work as well.

Do you know what desktop environment / window manager you are using?

Rayth
Premium Donator

Post by Rayth » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Rapsey wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:34 pm Do you use Oracle Java or OpenJDK? You can find out by running this in a terminal:

java -version
If it is OpenJDK you could try the portable client and start it by running the Play_PkHonor_Linux.sh startup script, that will make it use the bundled Oracle Java. I've been running PkHonor on Debian-based Linux using Oracle Java for years and never had any issues, although OpenJDK should work as well.

I'm using OpenJDK, and no I don't know what desktop environment / window manager I'm are using. I'll try your suggestion for using the portable client, and see if it works.

Rayth
Premium Donator

Post by Rayth » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:49 pm

Rapsey wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:34 pm Do you use Oracle Java or OpenJDK? You can find out by running this in a terminal:

java -version

No, it didn't work, I'm still having the same issue. Also, when I ran the script it told me that /jre/executables.txt and /jre/linux/bin/java is no such file or directory.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:39 pm

@Rayth what does it say when you do java -version in the CLI?

A couple Google searches are making me think you have a 32-bit Java version installed on a 64-bit OS (or vice versa), although it's not certain that your issue is the same issue as what's being answered. See https://askubuntu.com/questions/634024/ ... -directory

Rayth
Premium Donator

Post by Rayth » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:05 pm

Raj wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:39 pm @Rayth what does it say when you do java -version in the CLI?

A couple Google searches are making me think you have a 32-bit Java version installed on a 64-bit OS (or vice versa), although it's not certain that your issue is the same issue as what's being answered. See https://askubuntu.com/questions/634024/ ... -directory
It says "openjdk version "1.8.0_275"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_275-8u275-b01-1~deb9u1-b01)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.275-b01, mixed mode)"

I haven't changed the what bit version of Java I'm using from the last time it work, so I'm not so sure that's the issue.
Last edited by Rayth on Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.