Change Install Directory

Having a problem on the server? Post it here.
Runahohs
Premium Donator

Change Install Directory

Post by Runahohs » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Is there a way to change the install directory?

As you can see above, it will only install on my C: drive, and the Browse... button is greyed out.
I'd like to install it onto an external HDD (E:).
The only thing I've tried is running that installer as administrator, but that didn't work either.

Any thoughts/advice?
Thanks in advanced!

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Re: Change Install Directory

Post by Rapsey » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Installing straight to another drive is currently not possible. You can work around this by moving the entire PkHonor directory (from Documents\My Games\) to your external drive after installing. This will break start menu and desktop shortcuts so if you have any you would need to edit those to point to the right path.

Although the client itself and the accompanying Java can be moved anywhere, your cache and your client settings file will still be stored in your home directory which is typically on your C:\ drive. There is also the zipped client, which can be put on your external drive entirely (cache and all) but that one does not update automatically so I recommend against using it.

We did have plans to make a fully portable version of our regular installer client but since there was no demand for it this hasn't happened yet. If this is something you would like I can look into it.

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:28 pm

Rapsey wrote:Installing straight to another drive is currently not possible. You can work around this by moving the entire PkHonor directory (from Documents\My Games\) to your external drive after installing. This will break start menu and desktop shortcuts so if you have any you would need to edit those to point to the right path.

Although the client itself and the accompanying Java can be moved anywhere, your cache and your client settings file will still be stored in your home directory which is typically on your C:\ drive. There is also the zipped client, which can be put on your external drive entirely (cache and all) but that one does not update automatically so I recommend against using it.

We did have plans to make a fully portable version of our regular installer client but since there was no demand for it this hasn't happened yet. If this is something you would like I can look into it.
It would be a nice feature imo. Could also then use the logo instead of java jar executable when it’s opened. Wouldn’t be hard for macs at least

Runahohs
Premium Donator

Post by Runahohs » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:43 pm

Rapsey wrote:Installing straight to another drive is currently not possible. You can work around this by moving the entire PkHonor directory (from Documents\My Games\) to your external drive after installing. This will break start menu and desktop shortcuts so if you have any you would need to edit those to point to the right path.

Yes, a portable version would be amazing.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:39 pm

We have added a fully portable client in today's update. This client is self-contained: it stores everything it needs inside its own directory and you can put it wherever you want. ;)