ironman and voting

Having a problem on the server? Post it here.
Fungamer
Developer

Re: ironman and voting

Post by Fungamer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Tayron wrote:
Skiller wrote:I'd like to see it added if it can be limited to the IP of the player, but am not sure how to then handle rewards that people have already received from hard clues/if the vote rewards should be removed from those for irons.
no reason to add this, they receive ALL vote rewards from caskets, maybe just recently after the ironman update but I believe its been far too long to be able to do this, being able to vote and grab 50m starter cash is just pointless as an ironman player in my opinion.
Agreed. Get 50m cash as an ironman and you're pretty much set for doing anything except construction or fishing rocktails. Much rather have them grind a NPC or boss for alchables rather than being able to obtain it from the first minute as an iron

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:28 pm

Limiting by IP wouldn't really work, the only thing we get back from the toplists is a username. We could send an IP along pretending it is a username but then it becomes a hassle to figure out which account the credits should go to. Can't do both, there's not enough space for it. Not to mention all you'd get from doing this is pissed off players who didn't get their reward because the IP didn't match. Same IP's check would also not change the fact that some people know how to use VPN's and can multivote for themselves.

But actually vote buying and multivoting is not the sole reason we made it this way. As a rule iron man is supposed to be a game mode where you can only progress by playing the game. You should not be able to add wealth to your account through external influences. In that regard voting for your iron man account is the same as trading over stuff from your main: yes, you earned it through your own actions but that doesn't mean you should be able to add it to your iron man bank. That's what iron man is all about. You want something, you gotta play the game and get it yourself. No shortcuts.

And yes, I am fully aware irons can donate for donator/premium status, that is the one exception we made to this rule. It seemed like an acceptable compromise because these are things you would only ever buy once, unlike voting which you can keep doing every day even if you don't play the account at all. In all honesty, we do have bills to pay. Even though we don't like it ourselves, sometimes we have to compromise our ideals to keep things running.

One last thing which played a major role in this decision is that you can only vote for one account anyway (assuming you're not cheating). It doesn't have to be your iron man. Yes, I fully understand that you'd all like to be able to vote on your irons because having those benefits added to your iron means more than having them added to your main. But that's precisely why we're against it. The progress only means more on an iron because you can only get that progress by playing the game.

Ruler
Honor Player

Post by Ruler » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:12 pm

I've said this since the start and I will say it again; you're missing out on votes now. There are enough people that only play on ironman. Should've added some expensive cosmetics for ironman vote shop.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Ruler wrote:I've said this since the start and I will say it again; you're missing out on votes now. There are enough people that only play on ironman. Should've added some expensive cosmetics for ironman vote shop.
I agree. Even if it is as simple as one of those unused party hats. (Gold, Dragon, Barrows, Pink, Rune)
Make them something like 10k vp each. No value in prices. Unalchable. I know I would be willing to grind out the votes for something like that.

Explozionz
Premium Donator

Post by Explozionz » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Rapsey wrote:Limiting by IP wouldn't really work, the only thing we get back from the toplists is a username. We could send an IP along pretending it is a username but then it becomes a hassle to figure out which account the credits should go to. Can't do both, there's not enough space for it. Not to mention all you'd get from doing this is pissed off players who didn't get their reward because the IP didn't match. Same IP's check would also not change the fact that some people know how to use VPN's and can multivote for themselves.

But actually vote buying and multivoting is not the sole reason we made it this way. As a rule iron man is supposed to be a game mode where you can only progress by playing the game. You should not be able to add wealth to your account through external influences. In that regard voting for your iron man account is the same as trading over stuff from your main: yes, you earned it through your own actions but that doesn't mean you should be able to add it to your iron man bank. That's what iron man is all about. You want something, you gotta play the game and get it yourself. No shortcuts.

And yes, I am fully aware irons can donate for donator/premium status, that is the one exception we made to this rule. It seemed like an acceptable compromise because these are things you would only ever buy once, unlike voting which you can keep doing every day even if you don't play the account at all. In all honesty, we do have bills to pay. Even though we don't like it ourselves, sometimes we have to compromise our ideals to keep things running.

One last thing which played a major role in this decision is that you can only vote for one account anyway (assuming you're not cheating). It doesn't have to be your iron man. Yes, I fully understand that you'd all like to be able to vote on your irons because having those benefits added to your iron means more than having them added to your main. But that's precisely why we're against it. The progress only means more on an iron because you can only get that progress by playing the game.
&
Ruler wrote:I've said this since the start and I will say it again; you're missing out on votes now. There are enough people that only play on ironman. Should've added some expensive cosmetics for ironman vote shop.
Rapsey, I think this is an interesting idea. Ironmen are limited to a whole different sort of shops limitations and restrictions but while I understand what you are saying I would like to make a nice point from Ruler's comment.

Why can't Ironmen have the vote store that actually has items that aren't actually accessible via playing the game such as (Wooden shield, Apron, legends cape etc) but under a different item number to which even if they were to try and trade over to their main they would achieve nothing out of it, for example, these items would have a value of 1gp. Even making these items expensive in point requirement would provide more votes from the iron man community which lives in the server. Allowing ironmen to gain something which doesn't actually give them any profit or ruin the economy of the game would be something I think is useful. The items I've suggested aren't rewards from anything in the game for ironmen so maybe it would be something that could give an indication of their efforts of voting?

Could we possibly get feedback on this?

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Adamthalion wrote:
I agree. Even if it is as simple as one of those unused party hats. (Gold, Dragon, Barrows, Pink, Rune)
Make them something like 10k vp each. No value in prices. Unalchable. I know I would be willing to grind out the votes for something like that.
Wow this is a great idea. It just looks right!

Ruler
Honor Player

Post by Ruler » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Adding things like wooden shields and aprons to ironman store only devalues them for normal players. It's not special anymore if there are many people walking with it.

I was thinking more like Adam. I would say add not as many as in the picture if they cost 10k each, but add like 3. Will keep enough people interested.

Explozionz
Premium Donator

Post by Explozionz » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Ruler wrote:Adding things like wooden shields and aprons to ironman store only devalues them for normal players. It's not special anymore if there are many people walking with it.

I was thinking more like Adam. I would say add not as many as in the picture if they cost 10k each, but add like 3. Will keep enough people interested.
Even if they were added for the said price would be like 10k each it wouldn't devalue for normal people because the rariety would still be there as the time length to obtain one?

Skiller
Developer

Post by Skiller » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:59 pm

The value of an apron or wooden only exists because there’s no way to get them anymore. Letting any type of player earn them again will immediately impact their price since more are then available in game, even if it’s limited to a specific type of account.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Skiller wrote:The value of an apron or wooden only exists because there’s no way to get them anymore. Letting any type of player earn them again will immediately impact their price since more are then available in game, even if it’s limited to a specific type of account.
Not to mention the issue with ::prices and alch value. These items would add wealth to an ironman account.