How to give proper constructive criticism

Patel
Advisor

How to give proper constructive criticism

Post by Patel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:24 am

Commenting and Criticizing (in general)

This thread is to teach how to give constructive criticism, or CnC. CnC is going beyond simply "this is good" or "this is bad", and giving an evaluated response with some thought behind it.

When you go to comment on a tag, or any other graphical piece, strive to make an intelligent and informational comment to the artist. If you're going to post something negative, back up your comment with insightful comments, that aren't rude in nature. This will help the artist improve, and keep their self-esteem up.
Bad Crit:
"I don't like it - It sucks - You can do better."

Good Crit:

"Even though I don't really like it its still a good effort. The text looks off too me, try using ____ font. Also, the lighting should only have one source for a piece like this. Look at a few tutorials, like the one found here: ______ , and I think you'll be on a better path."

If you don't know anything about certain terms (eg. lighting, depth, blending, flow, etc.), don't write comments like you do know something about them. It does not help the original poster in any way, shape or form, and makes you look like an arse.