Alchemical Hydra Video guide

Steezee
Premium Donator

Alchemical Hydra Video guide

Post by Steezee » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 pm

My first guide :) Make sure youtube subtitles are on.

Max fight

welfare fight

GEAR USED
MAX SETUP

Alchemical Hydra is only available on a slayer task, so slayer helm is the bis with up to 20% damage and accuracy bonus. You can swap the slayer gem and bracelet out for range gear if you wish but this setup maximizes the slayer points you get for each kill.

MID $$$ SETUP
Armadyl/morrigans
ACB/chaotic CB
Barrows gloves/Brawlers
Ruby bolts (e) or Onyx (e) if you have trouble with the prayer switches
WELFARE SETUP
Best gear you can get :)
**If you are not a premium status you will need to wear either boots of brimstone or boots of stone, the latter you can purchase from a slayer master**

INVENTORY SETUP

2x overload
1x antipoison (just in case it is possible to avoid getting poisoned if you are fast enough)
6-8x prayer pot
sara brews

THE FIGHT

https://wiki.pkhonor.net/npcs/alchemical_hydra

The wiki provides a more detailed overview of the fight but here are the highlights.

Use the monsters tele--> Karuulm Slayer dungeon teleport and Run Northeast to get there

There are 4 stages to the fight. In the first 3 stages you must lure it to stand on the 3 grates in the corners of the room in this order: red->green->blue at the appropriate times. If you lure it to the wrong one it will enrage the hydra and make it harder to kill.

When you start out it will launch a random attack style either mage or range. The mage attack is usually smaller and rounder and there can be up to 4 of them together (only hits you twice) or 2 of them. The ranged attack usually looks bigger and spikier like a diamond and there can be 2 of them or just 1. For the first 3 phases it will attack one style 3 times and then switch to the other 3 times and back and forth etc. So it is important to keep track of which attack it will use when because it can hit quite high especially in the last stage.

Starting out lure it to the first grate (red) and attack. After it hits you 3 times switch prayers and move to avoid getting poisoned. It will launch several poison pools and if you are within 2 squares of any of them you will take damage and be poisoned.

When it turns blue you move to the next grate, after 3 attacks it will launch the electrical attack which will try and box you in. In max gear this can be avoided completely. In non max-gear I recommend just tanking it and focus on damaging the hydra instead of avoiding it.

When it turns red move to the next grate, again after 3 attacks it will stun you (important to note you cannot change prayers or eat if you get stunned) and launch a special fire attack. It will shoot out 2 walls of flames to corner you in at which point you can attack it again. It will send out another flame that will move towards whatever tile you are on so you must attack, step, attack etc. If you step on the fire you will receive 20 damage and then 5 hits of 5 damage. In max gear I can avoid this attack the majority of the time but the video shows it.

When it turns black you are in the last phase. Immediately switch prayer to the opposite of its last attack. And immediately switch after every attack from then on. After 3 attacks it will send out the poison blobs from the first phase, either just 1 or multiple, and then continue attacking you in alternating styles. It can hit quite high if you miss a prayer so make sure HP is high going into this phase.

TIPS
  • Keeping track of its attack styles is very important. In the last phase it can hit 50+ if you don't have the right prayer. But if you pay attention it is possible to finish the fight with no to very little damage.
  • Overloading is not recommended during the last 2 phases. The flame attack and the final phase can deal a good bit of damage if you are not careful
  • When you switch prayers do it immediately after the last attack hits
  • Keep prayer and HP high for the last 2 phases
Last edited by Steezee on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brant
Fanatic

Re: Alchemical Hydra Video guide

Post by Brant » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 pm

Would reccomend switching the necklace of anguish for amulet of range. It is bis for range

Latin guy
Honor Player

Post by Latin guy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:02 am

Nice guide, but try to include low - mid level gear

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Steezee
Premium Donator

Post by Steezee » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:48 am

Brant wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 pm Would reccomend switching the necklace of anguish for amulet of range. It is bis for range
I checked this at the dummy and the amulet of range does indeed have a higher max hit despite necklace of anguish having a higher range strength and prayer bonus and they both being +15 range attack so I'm not sure if that's a bug.
Latin guy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:02 am Nice guide, but try to include low - mid level gear

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks, I plan on adding some more inexpensive setups and maybe another video of a longer fight too at some point

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:22 am

amulet of ranging has a hidden damage bonus percentage

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:42 pm

That's very nice! Great job 😄
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Steezee
Premium Donator

Post by Steezee » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:59 pm

Updated guide with alternate setups and welfare fight video