Price Change Suggestions.

All player-run services are to be posted here. You must have at least 50 posts to create topics here.
Forum rules
Using services is at your own risk. Don't give your login details to someone you don't trust!
To get staff protection for your service please post your agreement here using the mandatory format.

Please use tags in the topic title to indicate what kind of trade you are looking for. For example:

[REQ] Quest Service

Services that get a lot of negativity, show no effort or are inactive for three weeks will be locked and archived.
If your topic was moved before you were done with it, PM a staff member to have it unarchived.
Tezey
Honor Player

Re: Price Change Suggestions.

Post by Tezey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:15 pm

What about junk store? I just tested it and it's half of ::prices and not half of shops prices. Meaning I can sell law runes for 2000gp in junk store and buy the for 2000gp in the shops but the alch only gives me 1200 gp.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Tezey wrote:What about junk store? I just tested it and it's half of ::prices and not half of shops prices. Meaning I can sell law runes for 2000gp in junk store and buy the for 2000gp in the shops but the alch only gives me 1200 gp.
It's probably a bug, but it's not a dupe. Apparently when selling to the junk store it takes the full shop price as a maximum rather than 50% of that price. Even if you would set the law rune price to 4-8B (please don't) you wouldn't get more than 2K from the junk store. I'll see to it Mike knows about this.

EDIT: Fixed in the next update.

Migetmanz
Premium Donator

Post by Migetmanz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30 am

Rapsey wrote:
Tezey wrote:My bad, thought that was only for brawlers.
Nope, it applies to every single store. The current shop price for impling jars is fixed at 2.3K. I'm not entirely sure why you would want to set the value to 80-110K if there's a fully stocked shop that sells them for 2.3K each. Seems to me that could only be used to trick people into getting scammed.

Because I can not buy this item in the GE... Since people sell at 100k ea on the street and max in ge is 10x guide price. Therefore it is vastly advantageous for people not to use the GE to sell this item. Also that shop sells un-noted imp jars... very painful to buy...

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:28 am

Skeletal helms - 10m
There is literally no demand for these.
dagon hai robes - 10m ea
Again, no demand. Same stats as mystic.
Zamorakian Spear - 300m-400m
Most people just alch them now, there is very little demand for them.
Royal Items - 5m ea
No demand for them. Just another source of inflation by alching.

Ruler
Honor Player

Post by Ruler » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:09 am

Adamthalion wrote:Skeletal helms - 10m
dagon hai robes - 10m ea
Royal Items - 5m ea
But these items are to make some ways of skilling/pvming more viable. The alching price is not seperate of the ::prices. Setting the ::prices to these prices would be very confusing for new players and wouldn't benefit. They would think dagon hai robes are 10m ea but you can still alch them for 60m ea and will get merched...

Tezey
Honor Player

Post by Tezey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:37 am

Adamthalion wrote:Skeletal helms - 10m
dagon hai robes - 10m ea
Royal Items - 5m ea
Making these price changes would not change the demand for these items. The price would then be lowered to the new alching price again.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Those items are a huge source of gold. Might as well just change the drops to coins. Im not saying changing the price would change the demand for the items. Currently the alch prices are price floors. anyone with a basic understanding of economics would see that items like these cause inflation and have no positive purpose.

Tezey
Honor Player

Post by Tezey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Adamthalion wrote:Those items are a huge source of gold. Might as well just change the drops to coins. Im not saying changing the price would change the demand for the items. Currently the alch prices are price floors. anyone with a basic understanding of economics would see that items like these cause inflation and have no positive purpose.
Does that mean we should remove them?

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:31 am

Tezey wrote:
Adamthalion wrote:Those items are a huge source of gold. Might as well just change the drops to coins. Im not saying changing the price would change the demand for the items. Currently the alch prices are price floors. anyone with a basic understanding of economics would see that items like these cause inflation and have no positive purpose.
Does that mean we should remove them?
Not remove, rather set a proper price that reflects their value. Or in the case of skeletal helms and dagon hai, remove them from drop tables. The only purpose they serve is a placeholder for cash. No one wears them, they only alch them.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm with Adam on this one, though not because of inflation because IMO the effect on that is insignificant.

Prices are supposed to reflect how much an item is worth to other players. In other words: the trade value determines the value on paper. However this logic cannot be applied to items which are bought just to alch. For those it's exactly the other way around: the value on paper determines the trade value. IMO that's wrong, and a clear indication that the item price is set too high.

After all you can put the price of dragon bones to 10B and then to players their value will be 6B, since they simply choose the highest amount of money they can get for the item. That doesn't mean 10B is the right price. It has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the item, it's just artificially boosting the price. But of course eventually players would get used to it and accept this as the new value of the item, since the item now literally equates to that value through alching. That still doesn't mean it was the right price for the item. I would argue that the only way to find the proper price is to lower the item price (and thus the alch price) until you reach a point where alching the item is no longer a no-brainer. The point where the item price is how much people would actually pay to have the item, not just to convert it to a value we have arbitrarily chosen.

Yes, I know this negatively affects PvM'ers. But should we really be "balancing" the PvM profitability by having artificially inflated prices? Adam is right, you might as well just drop cash then.

Adjusting an item price to match market value if the market value is based on the alch value... That's like trying to solve the equation: price = 0.6 * price. It's simply impossible.