Multiple clues of the same tier ? yay or nay?

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

Multiple clues per tier

yes
68%
no
32%

Total votes: 66

Andres
Developer

Re: Multiple clues of the same tier ? yay or nay?

Post by Andres » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:34 am

Rapsey wrote:Eh... I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Sure you could generate and store two different clues but without any way to distinguish the items you could never make 2 unique clues of the same tier, right? You can put 2 riddles in the database and 2 clue scrolls on the account but there's never going to be a way to know which scroll is which riddle. Or are you planning to show both of the riddles on each of the clue scrolls? :P

@Adam: the only way I know of to make this possible is by duplicating each clue scroll as a new item with a different ID, for each of the clue types. Apparently we already have a whole bunch of them in our item DB, no clue why (sorry, bad pun). Then all you'd need is to code into the drops system that if you're about to get a clue drop, it checks which clue scroll item ID is still available for your account so you get a clue with the right ID. Then you could indeed have 2 separate and unique clue scrolls, each with its own riddle. Of course being 2 different items they wouldn't go on the same stack in your bank.

Somehow having it capped at 2 seems even weirder to me. No new player is ever going to figure that out until someone tells them. Don't think there's ever been an item you could only have X of, it's always been either unique or not.

That was basically the idea I had.
I noticed we had a bunch of clue ID's so I thought it would be interesting to give every tier a 2nd clue ID, so people can have 2 clues of each tier and of course unique riddles for each clue.(because a new itemID will perfectly allow that ;))

having 2 clues for each tier is not necessary, it's just a huge QoL in my eyes.
Confusing new players ? Hmm.. I think there are more things in this game that you won't know unless an experienced player tells you. (Don't ask me what but I am pretty sure there is)
So I don't see a reason why we should make an exception for this one.

The only con will indeed be that it is not stackable, but personally I don't think thats bad either :p

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:40 am

Andres wrote:Confusing new players ? Hmm.. I think there are more things in this game that you won't know unless an experienced player tells you. (Don't ask me what but I am pretty sure there is)
So I don't see a reason why we should make an exception for this one.
Lol.. Sure some things are bad but we shouldn't use that as an excuse to keep adding more confusing things. Making things straightforward and intuitive is something we should consider in all the things we make.

It would definitely work that way, but I still think it's an elaborate workaround to fix something that was never a problem. :P I'd hardly even call it QoL.

I suppose the thing you're trying to "fix" is the annoyance of having to choose, the moment you get a clue, to either interrupt your business and do the clue or to finish whatever you're doing and accept that there will be no more clue drops. Allowing more than one gives you the best of both. :) Kind of a pity, I like those little choices.

That being said, it's not like it would kill us to allow 2-5 of the same type so if that's what people really want, meh, sure. Though I wouldn't conclude that just yet.

Slap a ho
Champion

Post by Slap a ho » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:38 am

My understanding of being able to have multiple of the same tier was more like this:

- Not stackable; 1 clue, 1 inventory slot
- if you’re doing a clue, even if you have the same riddle showing on both, it only effects one. I think it’d be a little silly if it took 5 steps to receive 2 caskets. Each clue should have its own set of steps that have to be completed otherwise I could do an entire inventory (if no cap) in 5 steps. Taking the time that it takes to do a clue out of the equation makes it way too easy. It should still be an inconvienence to solve each clue imo.

I’m all for making it convienent, but let’s not make it excruciatingly easy.

B0rnt0b3pk
Fanatic

Post by B0rnt0b3pk » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:58 pm

From my point of view why are you trying to fix something that isn't broken? I like the idea of choices and sacrifice. A clue is ment to be additional reward on top of loot from pvming. You could choose to do it asap, or you could end the trip little earlier in order to make some additional money. If you allow two of the same tier you basically say clues isn't any additional loot and you could stack them. It's not ment to be that way for a reason on osrs, and neither should it be on PKH. It's no QoL, but a lazy way out of choices you no longer have to take.
ImageImage

Andres
Developer

Post by Andres » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 pm

I removed the option to have multiple clue scrolls of the same tier.
It will indeed be a little bit confusing when players see 2 scrolls of the same tier in their inventory.
Also, like multiple players stated, it will take away the 'choise' of - going to take the risk to stay on your PvM trip, or leave and do the clue-.

Anyways, it will always be possible to add that feature if worked out correctly.
I think it's better to leave it out for now.

Simon
Honor Player

Post by Simon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:24 am

Andres wrote:I removed the option to have multiple clue scrolls of the same tier.
It will indeed be a little bit confusing when players see 2 scrolls of the same tier in their inventory.
Also, like multiple players stated, it will take away the 'choise' of - going to take the risk to stay on your PvM trip, or leave and do the clue-.

Anyways, it will always be possible to add that feature if worked out correctly.
I think it's better to leave it out for now.
I don't understand. We are already able to have multiple clues of different tiers. Right now, I have an elite and easy clue in my bank.

Slap a ho
Champion

Post by Slap a ho » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:12 am

Simon wrote:
Andres wrote:I removed the option to have multiple clue scrolls of the SAME tier.
I don't understand. We are already able to have multiple clues of different tiers. Right now, I have an elite and easy clue in my bank.
Can’t have multiple of the same tier. As in 2 elite clue scrolls.

Cancerstick
Wise One

Post by Cancerstick » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Just take a page from RS3 and it shouldn't be an issue:
Clue scrolls are now dropped or looted as a new object called a 'Sealed clue scroll (difficulty)', which stacks and gives a new clue scroll of the same tier when opened. Players can only have up to one clue of each tier active at any one time, as before. There is a soft cap of 25 on sealed clues for each tier, but guaranteed sources bypass this.
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Update: ... uary_2018)

Isaac
Honor Player

Post by Isaac » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:18 pm

I agree to cap it at 2 per tier because that is a QOL decision so you don't have to bank after every clue, especially in GWD where it's tricky to get back.

I think you should be able to receive a clue, and any further clues are stacked up in your refund box. Make it so you can only withdraw one elite clue scroll at a time. This way it stacks them up nicely visually and removes the tricky business of whether completing a step does multiple clues etc.

My only concern would be that players would just sit at easier bosses (Like Dagannoths as Death) and camp them forever. This would be fixed with a cap, which I think is definitely necessary to avoid those situations.

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:30 am

Please my lazy ass needs this, let 3 elites dissappear yesterday because already had one on the bank lulz...
#Justice4Church