Revisiting the YouTuber Rank.

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Ephriam
Honor Player

Re: Revisiting the YouTuber Rank.

Post by Ephriam » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:18 pm

Kalista wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:02 pm
Ephriam wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:56 pm In my opinion all ranks on pkhonor should be seen as volunteering positions and not as a way to get a reward. If you like to make content make it and I think for some that’s enough for them to make content. In all honesty the YouTube rank seems like a rank created to make another player feel more elite than another. I don’t mind it being ingame but the rank should be nothing more then an indicator that a player makes videos. I also don’t like the idea of making strict rules behind obtaining/keeping the rank. For example iron prod has been making videos for years and I’ve always considered him a pkhonor YouTuber even though he hasn’t made videos in a while. Consistency is key but at some point a player should be considered a pkhonor YouTuber even if they don’t make 2 videos a month. I think we shouldn’t make standardized incentives either. If players/owners want to give a youtuber something here and there that’s fine. However, I don’t like the idea of pkhonor ranks becoming transactional positions.
Why don't you like the idea of rewarding people who put in effort to help better and grow the community? Giving them an incentive to produce good content pushes people to do their best, as if they don't that reward might be taken away. What is the downside of rewarding them?
It’s not that I don’t like the idea of rewarding people who have helped the community I just don’t like the idea of creating a rank with a special incentive. For example if the owners gave 1-5k credits a month to YouTubers for making content you would get an influx of people making shitty YouTube videos not because they love the game but because they want easy credits. Also from a marketing standpoint youtube videos for pkhonor probably do less than a osrs bot spamming the servers name at the ge.

I watch osrs YouTube videos all the time and have never seen a pkhonor video show up in my feed so the only way this content is going to be found is if people specifically look up pkhonor in YouTube. That means the chance of a new player coming across pkhonor on YouTube is rare. Also none of the current pkhonor YouTubers have a big enough fan base to bring in hundreds/thousands of new players. Maybe if someone had 20-50k subscribers on youtube it could be an asset to have them post YouTube videos but currently no one matches that criteria. I bet most people who play pkhonor don’t even watch pkhonor videos consistently either.

Also the other ranks like mod, admin, and even staff manager are unpaid positions. Why do YouTubers deserve a reward and those ranks don’t? The staff team atleast keeps pkhonor running.

I think we should leave incentives to the people who actually enjoy their content not pkhonor. Like I stated in my last post if an owner wants to incentivize a youtuber they can but it should be because they want to not because they are forced too.

The youtube rank obviously needs tweaking but I don’t understand why we need to create special incentives for YouTubers. Osrs doesn’t pay RuneScape streamers/YouTubers. Why should Pkhonor?

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:39 pm

Ephriam wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:18 pm
Ephriam wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:56 pm In my opinion all ranks on pkhonor should be seen as volunteering positions and not as a way to get a reward. If you like to make content make it and I think for some that’s enough for them to make content. In all honesty the YouTube rank seems like a rank created to make another player feel more elite than another. I don’t mind it being ingame but the rank should be nothing more then an indicator that a player makes videos. I also don’t like the idea of making strict rules behind obtaining/keeping the rank. For example iron prod has been making videos for years and I’ve always considered him a pkhonor YouTuber even though he hasn’t made videos in a while. Consistency is key but at some point a player should be considered a pkhonor YouTuber even if they don’t make 2 videos a month. I think we shouldn’t make standardized incentives either. If players/owners want to give a youtuber something here and there that’s fine. However, I don’t like the idea of pkhonor ranks becoming transactional positions.
Why don't you like the idea of rewarding people who put in effort to help better and grow the community? Giving them an incentive to produce good content pushes people to do their best, as if they don't that reward might be taken away. What is the downside of rewarding them?
It’s not that I don’t like the idea of rewarding people who have helped the community I just don’t like the idea of creating a rank with a special incentive. For example if the owners gave 1-5k credits a month to YouTubers for making content you would get an influx of people making shitty YouTube videos not because they love the game but because they want easy credits. Also from a marketing standpoint youtube videos for pkhonor probably do less than a osrs bot spamming the servers name at the ge.

I watch osrs YouTube videos all the time and have never seen a pkhonor video show up in my feed so the only way this content is going to be found is if people specifically look up pkhonor in YouTube. That means the chance of a new player coming across pkhonor on YouTube is rare. Also none of the current pkhonor YouTubers have a big enough fan base to bring in hundreds/thousands of new players. Maybe if someone had 20-50k subscribers on youtube it could be an asset to have them post YouTube videos but currently no one matches that criteria. I bet most people who play pkhonor don’t even watch pkhonor videos consistently either.

Also the other ranks like mod, admin, and even staff manager are unpaid positions. Why do YouTubers deserve a reward and those ranks don’t? The staff team atleast keeps pkhonor running.

I think we should leave incentives to the people who actually enjoy their content not pkhonor. Like I stated in my last post if an owner wants to incentivize a youtuber they can but it should be because they want to not because they are forced too.

The youtube rank obviously needs tweaking but I don’t understand why we need to create special incentives for YouTubers. Osrs doesn’t pay RuneScape streamers/YouTubers. Why should Pkhonor?
Well said :prayge:

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:50 am

What rewards does the entire staff team + helpers + devs even get :omegalul:
#Justice4Church
#DemoteRyanHeResigned
#capes2presets2k18

Ryan
Staff Manager

Post by Ryan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:18 am

So I've let this sit for a while to gather sufficient data. Seems everyone just wants the rank to remain as it is, no rewards or set of "specific" requirements. But perhaps when considering a YouTuber promotion, poll it to the community. Also, I'll discuss an official YouTube channel for PKHonor with Mike and Rapsey. I know we had one in the past with Billy, but that's long gone. And it'd be almost impossible to get the information now.

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:56 am

Dumb rank just get rid of it

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:16 pm

Why not give youtubers a small % boost in something to keep them going and possibly make their videos more exciting? I've seen some PkH videos, and without naming names, where their videos are VERY dull and unappealing when someone who only says a few words and plays a shitty sound track for the rest of the video with text overlays.

I don't get why people are so against incentivizng quality work with in game benefits. I personally loath when a server hires someone who isn't even apart of the community to promote their game with 2-3 videos, and when you look for the next one in their series its a whole different pserver. Giving players in game benefits, rather than an irl payout, guarantees that even if they're doing it for the benefits, they are at least playing the game because they enjoy it.

Maybe we can host a quarterly, or annual, award for best youtube videos with polls from the community with different catagories
ex: best guides, best youtube series, best pk videos, etc.
Rewads can vary and be polled later if this is even done, but it'd give players a reason to make good quality videos, while having a competitive aspect to it, and also promoting non-toxic environments since the players most likely will have to like you (or your work) to get your vote. Possibly even forum 'badges' they can put on their signatures to show what they've been awarded.

As far as incentives for being a youtuber I'd suggest something nice that isn't game breaking such as:
•5-10% boosted drop rates(more drops on video=more hype) (possibly a new scroll/item that only gives it for a limited time?)
•5-10% boosted xp
•Monthly payouts whether it be in donator credits, mystery boxes, vote shop points
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:43 pm

Thearlygamer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:16 pm
I don't get why people are so against incentivizng quality work with in game benefits. I personally loath when a server hires someone who isn't even apart of the community to promote their game with 2-3 videos, and when you look for the next one in their series its a whole different pserver. Giving players in game benefits, rather than an irl payout, guarantees that even if they're doing it for the benefits, they are at least playing the game because they enjoy it.
Devs and staff objectively benefit the server more than youtubers. A bot spamming "pkhonor.net" at OSRS G.E would be more efficient at getting new players.

Devs & staff would have to get the same (if not better) benefits you proposed before youtubers do. Viewership from people who aren't players (yet) is just far too low to justify any sort of reward other than recognition for the work they've done. Higher production value wouldn't change that. There just aren't enough people interested in RSPS nowadays, and even if they are, they might already know about PKH and wont click on the video if they didn't enjoy playing it.

annual "Best video" or "Best youtuber" polls would be cool though.

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm

Fungamer wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:43 pm
Devs and staff objectively benefit the server more than youtubers. A bot spamming "pkhonor.net" at OSRS G.E would be more efficient at getting new players.

Devs & staff would have to get the same (if not better) benefits you proposed before youtubers do. Viewership from people who aren't players (yet) is just far too low to justify any sort of reward other than recognition for the work they've done. Higher production value wouldn't change that. There just aren't enough people interested in RSPS nowadays, and even if they are, they might already know about PKH and wont click on the video if they didn't enjoy playing it.

The difference between staff and youtubers is staff have actual power in game, which can be abused. Given that they have a power dynamic over other players, some players already are incentivized enough to do that to feel better about themselves, giving them extra boosts/pay will only incentivize the wrong players to want to be staff even more. I feel like staff doing their work for the betterment of the game is the best way to make sure most players only go for staff rank for the right reasons (or at least try to), while people can be great youtubers for pkhonor for the wrong reasons(perks) as long as they bring quality content and a non toxic environment with no extra powers to abuse anything.
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Kalista
Honor Player

Post by Kalista » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:41 pm

Thearlygamer wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm

The difference between staff and youtubers is staff have actual power in game, which can be abused. Given that they have a power dynamic over other players, some players already are incentivized enough to do that to feel better about themselves, giving them extra boosts/pay will only incentivize the wrong players to want to be staff even more. I feel like staff doing their work for the betterment of the game is the best way to make sure most players only go for staff rank for the right reasons (or at least try to), while people can be great youtubers for pkhonor for the wrong reasons(perks) as long as they bring quality content and a non toxic environment with no extra powers to abuse anything.
100% agree, but I wouldn't give them increased droprate or xp, rather just a donator credit payout or something monthly.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:39 am

Thearlygamer wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:20 pm

Good points about staff. But what about helpers and people who frequently edit the wiki? They have no power that can be abused.

I still don't feel like it's right to reward players for something that has so little impact on the servers wellbeing. I respect the great amount of effort that people who do make youtube vids put into producing those vids, but both their relevance and impact is minimal. Even with incentives that aren't ridiculously OP it's not like we'll attract a youtuber with 10K+ subs or something.