Revisiting the YouTuber Rank.

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
The underdog
Premium Donator

Re: Revisiting the YouTuber Rank.

Post by The underdog » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:55 pm

Kash wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:18 pm I found making videos that help and entertain players to be fulfilling on its own - especially when I was learning more about the game. Of course, the views and subscribers that trickle in is a nice lil bonus!

From my experience, having to keep a strict uploading schedule (eg. 2-3 times a month) makes the quality of my videos suffer. If I did make higher quality videos, I imagine I'd end up uploading once a month at max. I figured anyone could do a lot better with more time too!

That being said, I unfortunately do not have the time with all that's going on for me IRL but I'd like to give my 2cents about this topic, having had the opportunity to don the rank for awhile:

1. @Raj's detached camera idea is one that I totally can get behind! imagine the possibilitiessss
2. Getting early access to unreleased content. YouTubers could help integrate "upcoming updates" from Mike & Rapsey (and Devs) in video form - helps make the homepage more poppin' compared to the usual long-form posts
3. Quarterly community giveaways (sponsored by M&R?) - must obviously be trusted by the community & staff
4. A cleaner YouTube in-game rank (no disrespect to whoever made it lol) and ability to blast server-wide announcements to differentiate it from yell; I'm thinking with a 1h cooldown period
5. Not keen on incentivizing the rank but perhaps a boost in xp gains? - much like mods (It's a thankless job)

Thank you for reading.
I don't think we should do any of these points listed apart from maybe point 1. As you said yourself quality over quantity and that also goes for stuff around the rank itself. Giveaways and early access and stuff hurts more than it benefits. The uploading frequency requirement should go down a bit for a start. And from there I don't feel the rank being important to the server that much either to keep it alive at all costs.
#Justice4Church

Mitrovic
Premium Donator

Post by Mitrovic » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:31 pm

I'm a fan of making a pkhonor youtube channel but that's it.

If you want to make videos, fine, but then do it for the good sake of the server and not because you can get a crown with it, or because of the incentives. Because that's what happened after the youtube crown release, people went making 'questionable' quality videos to differentiate themselves with a crown.

I honestly think The Underdog would be like one of the only players, if not the only one, who would be worth a 'rank', since he has been uploading consistently for like 9 years or something, with plus minus 100 videos. That's good and he should keep doing that. Wouldn't trust anyone who would start making content as of now if they are going to be rewarded.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:07 pm

I mean, if people wanna make videos for a rank, it is what it is IMO. Like, it’s promotional content for the server.

YouTube actually recognizes RSPS as a category in its algorithm now, but it doesn’t seem to know how to differentiate servers well (or individual servers don’t have a lot of content). I know this because I’ve had videos from other servers recommended to me after watching our YouTubers videos.

I don’t really see it as a bad thing as long as quality requirements are kept to a pretty high standard. Maybe we set some general guidelines. For instance, videos should contain at least some commentary, maybe more than some depending on the video format. Mic quality should be reasonable. The content should be somewhat unique or engaging (like it shouldn’t be the 100th “mbox opening” video posted). Normal decibel ranges should be mostly adhered to. 720p minimum.

If you’re a YouTuber, these things just benefit your channel anyway

On a tangent, I think community voting for YouTubers could be good. Initially I thought staff should vote on it, but then I realized I CBA watching videos to vote on them honestly. No offense YouTubers but like why would I watch pkhonor videos, genuinely. I imagine other staff feel the same.

Would be happy to add some form of in-game system for media linking and player polling for quality

Edit after some thought:
I have a theoretical pipeline which is like, YouTubers post video, privately or publicly, and share it with staff for review. They should also include a title for in-game use for the next part.

If the requirements are met, it’s added to a list of highlighted media. This can be viewed in game with ::media, which will hyperlink videos. The same interface would also handle collecting player votes, either through interface buttons (think stars), or dialogue options (on clicking the interface entry, option 1 is “open link”, option 2 is “submit rating”). Whichever is cleaner looking tbh, though one-click opening should be supported

From there, ratings and submissions are saved. Any player submitting over 1 qualifying video a month, for 4 months minimum and maintaining the rate, will automatically be given the YouTuber rank. “Qualifying” means to have a video finish with over a 4 star rating after a month. If the player used to be a YouTuber, the 4 month minimum is exempted, to allow for periods of inactivity and easier reobtaining of the rank

The interface for media also doesn’t necessarily only need to show videos from the past month. A month is just the hypothetical timeline for a videos initial assessment. It could show like the last x submissions. Or, past one month at the top for voting, with the ones below being sorted by some combination of rating and newness, which I’ll work out but describing would suck

Stars can also just be replaced with like/dislike, with average rating being inferred from the like ratio. Like 80% likes corresponds to 4 5 stars and 1 1 star if all votes were 5/1, which is also conveniently averages to the 4 star rating that 4/5 represents. I can’t do the math now but I think it works out. And players wouldn’t be able to see the ratings, just for internal use

This might be a terrible idea, idk. Best I’ve got though

Kalista
Honor Player

Post by Kalista » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:37 pm

Personally, I don't understand why it would be a problem if people only wanted to be a youtuber for the benefits or rank. The goal of having people make youtube videos should be to drive players to the server, and if high quality content is being made that's good for the server. As for what we could do to incentivize youtube rank, I think admins should fund youtubers once a week or so for giveaways. This would increase engagement with the video, and get them recommended to more rsps players. Most of the other servers I play usually fund giveaways for their creators, as well as pay them a fee per video (which from my understanding, pkhonor doesn't have the money to do). I'm also okay with paying either donator credits/cash to youtubers per video, as an incentive to keep making videos.

Obviously if the quality of the videos drop they would not be paid. and they would lose their rank until the quality improves.

Sorazery
Premium Donator

Post by Sorazery » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:24 am

i personally dont think paying out youtubers / video creators is the way to go, i would rather see them getting 'rewarded' in different ways like some of you guys have already said in the replys before me.

The camera idea is very cool cinematic wise

The money for giveaways etc im not that keen on. Can already predict the 'do you support scamming youtubers' thread incoming (im posting that).

Something I would like to see myself is everytime there is a big update coming from Mike, there is a full page list of the updates that are coming but what I would like to see is that someone with the youtube rank can work together with staff/devs to make a video version next to this page of updates. I like watching update video's and seeing the content that is getting changed in action. This might be me but i'm curious to what others think of this.

The idea of an official pkhonor channel where people can send in video's is a good idea! I'd like to see more people create video's, question is who will decide what gets posted and what doesnt?

I do agree there should be a standard of the quality of video's to achieve/keep the rank, consistency is key!

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:04 am

Kalista wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:37 pm Personally, I don't understand why it would be a problem if people only wanted to be a youtuber for the benefits or rank. The goal of having people make youtube videos should be to drive players to the server, and if high quality content is being made that's good for the server. As for what we could do to incentivize youtube rank, I think admins should fund youtubers once a week or so for giveaways. This would increase engagement with the video, and get them recommended to more rsps players. Most of the other servers I play usually fund giveaways for their creators, as well as pay them a fee per video (which from my understanding, pkhonor doesn't have the money to do). I'm also okay with paying either donator credits/cash to youtubers per video, as an incentive to keep making videos.

Obviously if the quality of the videos drop they would not be paid. and they would lose their rank until the quality improves.
Pkhonor youtube content is almost entirely for the already playing playerbase. There will be a small portion that might look it up or gets there trough the algorithm but it's surely very few. Maybe if someone is looking for Pkhonor Raids/Cox/Pking/Inferno specifically to check if this server has the content they desire but the youtube rank wont change much in that regard either. A spam bot on osrs g.e. will do more than a youtube rank ever will :pogo:

For youtube vids to make a difference bribe some semi-big osrs content creator with a sponsored ad but I don't think (m)any would like to do that either.

An ingame media section would be sexy, don't have to overdo it and don't have to couple youtube rank to it either just something for the playerbase to discover from a list. Just same content as what would be in discord featured media ig.

Go advertise this server with 'original multi rev caves' stuff like that, presets and no eco resets all such unique selling points along with solid raids and what not. Things that will attract actual new players.
#Justice4Church

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:39 am

If these are made guidelines and not strict requirements, I think they can be a good way to find someone who might deserve the rank.

I think a work schedule is pushing it a bit, I'd rather have 5 youtubers that upload one great video per month each for a long time than 2-3 that start off strong but burn out. One of the motivations for adding the rank was to recognize someone who has contributed greatly to uploading videos/media for PkHonor, without putting a number/assigning numerical value to their contributions.

I think a transition into a job-like environment strays away from simple recognition. It's certainly a direction other servers have tried/gone in, but I don't think it's necessarily better.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:08 am

The underdog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:04 amA spam bot on osrs g.e. will do more than a youtube rank ever will :pogo:

Very true even if it's kinda sad.

Ephriam
Honor Player

Post by Ephriam » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:56 pm

In my opinion all ranks on pkhonor should be seen as volunteering positions and not as a way to get a reward. If you like to make content make it and I think for some that’s enough for them to make content. In all honesty the YouTube rank seems like a rank created to make another player feel more elite than another. I don’t mind it being ingame but the rank should be nothing more then an indicator that a player makes videos. I also don’t like the idea of making strict rules behind obtaining/keeping the rank. For example iron prod has been making videos for years and I’ve always considered him a pkhonor YouTuber even though he hasn’t made videos in a while. Consistency is key but at some point a player should be considered a pkhonor YouTuber even if they don’t make 2 videos a month. I think we shouldn’t make standardized incentives either. If players/owners want to give a youtuber something here and there that’s fine. However, I don’t like the idea of pkhonor ranks becoming transactional positions.

Kalista
Honor Player

Post by Kalista » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:02 pm

Ephriam wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:56 pm In my opinion all ranks on pkhonor should be seen as volunteering positions and not as a way to get a reward. If you like to make content make it and I think for some that’s enough for them to make content. In all honesty the YouTube rank seems like a rank created to make another player feel more elite than another. I don’t mind it being ingame but the rank should be nothing more then an indicator that a player makes videos. I also don’t like the idea of making strict rules behind obtaining/keeping the rank. For example iron prod has been making videos for years and I’ve always considered him a pkhonor YouTuber even though he hasn’t made videos in a while. Consistency is key but at some point a player should be considered a pkhonor YouTuber even if they don’t make 2 videos a month. I think we shouldn’t make standardized incentives either. If players/owners want to give a youtuber something here and there that’s fine. However, I don’t like the idea of pkhonor ranks becoming transactional positions.
Why don't you like the idea of rewarding people who put in effort to help better and grow the community? Giving them an incentive to produce good content pushes people to do their best, as if they don't that reward might be taken away. What is the downside of rewarding them?