#Serverbacktoeurope

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Stale fish1
Wise One

Re: #Serverbacktoeurope

Post by Stale fish1 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:33 am

Rapsey wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:25 am Here's a breakdown by continent for the current month:

By number of logins:

Code: Select all

53.11%  North America
35.26%  Europe
 6.09%  Asia
 3.20%  Oceania
 1.60%  South America
 0.74%  Africa
By number of unique accounts accessed:

53.51%  North America
36.70%  Europe
 3.87%  Oceania
 3.82%  Asia
 1.65%  South America
 0.45%  Africa
By total time played:

58.59%  North America
32.74%  Europe
 4.04%  Asia
 3.13%  Oceania
 1.07%  South America
 0.43%  Africa
Sorry, I'm not going to do a massive undertaking and cause significant downtime for something that ultimately hurts more players than it helps.

EDIT:
The underdog wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:39 am So how many players or donators from EU do we need to turn the tide.
We will always try to choose the optimal location for the player base as a whole. For now the current location seems about as good as we can get, until someone builds an undersea data center in the middle of the Atlantic. So I guess the answer to your question would be for Europeans to become the majority (more or less, since we would take the distance to all regions into account).

Off topic, these are some super cool stats, can we get RRS once a month? (Rapsey's random stats)

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:57 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:33 am Off topic, these are some super cool stats, can we get RRS once a month? (Rapsey's random stats)
Next month I can do staking win rate by continent or something.

Mvpranger
Premium Donator

Post by Mvpranger » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:35 am

Rapsey wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:57 am Next month I can do staking win rate by continent or something.
Would like to see this, so I can change my VPN to that continent and boost my win rate, this is totally how statistics work.

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:51 am

Rapsey wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:57 am
Stale fish1 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:33 am Off topic, these are some super cool stats, can we get RRS once a month? (Rapsey's random stats)
Yes pls :prayge: :jiggly:

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:52 am

@Rapsey is mod lottie confirmed

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:18 pm

Moving the server to europe means poor africans like @Daymen dont dc as often mid conversation :prayge:

Now im actually kinda curious about what the best (existing) location would be if it means that the average ping etc drops. (i.e NA gains 2 ping on average but the rest have their ping lowered by like 10) Probably still not worth migrating unless there's a crazy difference which I doubt there would be but yea

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:54 pm

Fungamer wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:18 pm Now im actually kinda curious about what the best (existing) location would be if it means that the average ping etc drops. (i.e NA gains 2 ping on average but the rest have their ping lowered by like 10) Probably still not worth migrating unless there's a crazy difference which I doubt there would be but yea
One time I ran the math on this, using the numbers from this post. I vaguely remember it being that moving the server to the EU actually raises ping for Australia and eastern Asia, because right now their optimal network path actually crosses the Pacific rather than the Atlantic as we'd all expect. It also (somewhat obviously) increases ping for both North and South America. In terms of the actual mean gain/loss in ping weighted by player location, I'm tempted to say it was very small (0-20) and favored not moving the server, but I genuinely don't remember with any amount of confidence which leads me to be sure that's accurate. The math is pretty easy to do if you know the player percentage and mean ping change for each region. You do need to do some grouping, like assuming Western and Central Asia will have a mean gain of x ms, equally impacting people in the western and eastern ends of the region, regardless of the fact that ping in the eastern part is probably like 10-50 ms higher in absolute ping, and instead just accounting for the relative change.

This tool is useful. Sources would be all the connection sources for players, and destinations would be your candidate server cities. Scale the difference in ping for each source region by player percentage for the source region and sum. Can also try to scale by donation share rather than player share. Have fun, if you give it a go.

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:11 pm

Rapsey wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:57 am
The sandlands and certain parts of merica, a long known fact won't need stats for that.

More interesting is pker activity by continent.
#Justice4Church
#DemoteRyanHeResigned
#capes2presets2k18

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:33 am

I suppose it would be possible to use all the geo-IP coordinates to mathematically determine the optimal position, but that's probably not worth doing because the answer is quite obvious. There are also other factors to take into account, such as the path traffic would actually take (i.e. where the cables are) and the quality of the data center (as a general rule, bigger is better). Some of the reasons why we are in Beauharnois are that it is a primary data center and a major hub with direct access to several connection backbones.

It's also worth keeping in mind that not all Americans get great ping. As you can see from the distances involved, players on the West Coast of North America still need to cover about 50-60% of the distance compared to Europeans.

Given that our main player population centers are the East and West Coast of NA, Canada and Europe, the server is currently as centrally located as can be in terms of the network path. Moving it to Europe (even London) would essentially mean:
  • Europeans swap their ping with that of East Coasters and Canadians
  • Everyone on the West Coast sees their ping triple to become 150-160% of what Europeans currently experience
  • Players in South America, whose ping is currently about the same as Europeans, have their ping doubled (because there is no direct connection from Europe to South America, it still has to go via the East Coast)
  • Players in Oceania and Asia, who already have significantly worse pings than Europeans, get the current European ping added on top of what they already have
Bottom like: great for Europeans, awful for everyone else. Way more awful than what Europeans have to cope with now.

Daymen
Premium Donator

Post by Daymen » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:26 pm

bro, the 0.74%, the 0.45%, the 0.43% are all me, i'm glad i'm making Africa alive!
#Mama_Africa <3