A legit post about (the lack of) updates

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Fungamer
Developer

Re: A legit post about (the lack of) updates

Post by Fungamer » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:25 am

Nazuths wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:29 pm
Will be ok2 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:14 pm
Sorazery wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:59 pm

but it would be nice to have a bit of an idea whats going on opposed to the big thread of what do you guys want to see next? and to not hear anything about any of the options for months (no shade)
I must agree with this.

Also twords nazuth’s reply;
What is the reasoning behind coding things that haven’t been brought up previously or put to a poll?

What’s the reason of the previous “what do you want to see next?” thread if you guys have 0 intentions of doing it? Because we were asked what we wanted next, we answered and now we’re being told things polar opposite are being worked on??? Makes no sense and this is why us (the community) gets frustrated because we’re given empty hope.
Quotes from the post you're refering to:
Mike wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:49 pm Aside from that, Nazuths has stated he would like to implement the Gauntlet minigame so our players can obtain Crystal equipment. Meanwhile, we are also working on a revamp of our vote store and adding the ability for Ironman to vote on toplists.
Mike wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:49 pm I would like to know what project I should work on next. There are several possibilities, so I figured I'd ask the community for their input.

I must ask, why is a vote store revamp taking so long, and why would it be a bad thing if this (and maybe some minor bugfixes) were the only thing that got introduced during an update? Is the entire way how voting (and the logic behind it) works being changed as well?

I know you're probably not working on the vote store specifically but surely there have been many discussions both internally and on the forums of which items to add and what not? Surely the codebase isn't so spaghetti that adding items (that usually have working models as honors can spawn and wear them) has become a huge pain in the ass? To me it seems that something like the vote store revamp could get knocked out during a motivated evening over a few beers, assuming it's just about adding items to a shop and ensuring that they dont look glitchy

I can't speak for the entire community but I think many players would prefer frequent, relatively small updates like these and fixes at the cost of huge updates taking a few weeks or even months longer.

I'm sure that you guys have some sort of reasoning, I just don't really get what the reasoning is and why they outweigh the other approach.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:34 am

Most of these questions either have very obvious common sense answers or have already been answered through official statements but I'll answer what I can.
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm We all know there haven't really been any updates for a while. Why? Dunno. This is a question everyone poses.
Because Mike and I have little to no time to work on PkHonor. Mike should have more time for it during the month of August (and maybe after), I will be completely unavailable until mid-September (except for quick forum replies during toilet breaks and such, but no time for actual work).
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm What (and approximately when) will the next update be?
What: This was answered in the Future plans section at the end of the CoX news post.
When: We don't know that ourselves. As soon as circumstances allow us to get it done.
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm What's on the to-do list after that?
See above.
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm Is Thoby still a developer? What is he working on?
Does he have the developer rank? Yes.
Was a statement ever posted that he resigned or got demoted? No.
Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

I don't think he's currently working on anything but you'd have to ask him. As far as I know, after finishing his studies and transitioning into internship and then a full-time job, he no longer has a lot of time for PkHonor development (but we're grateful for anything he can still do and see no reason to revoke his developer status for that).
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm Is Nazuths still a developer? What is he working on? Did he pass or fail his trial, or is he still a trial right now?
Does he have the developer rank? Yes.
Was a statement ever posted that he resigned or got demoted? No.
Was a statement ever posted that he passed or failed his trial? No.
Draw your own conclusions.

The Gauntlet, as explained in the b]Future plans[/b] section at the end of the CoX news post. And also a few other things he mentioned in his reply above.
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm Are the owners interested in getting more developers?
In the general sense yes but neither one of us currently has the time to onboard new developers.
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm Are there any unknown (trial) devs working on PkH right now? If so, why keep their existence a secret unless they want it that way?
If there were any, it would mean we kept it a secret deliberately so I wouldn't tell you now.
Hypothetically speaking, other than by their own preference, why would we keep such a thing a secret? I'm sure you can make some guesses. Maybe we don't want to get people's hopes up. Maybe we've made the mistake of prematurely announcing such a thing in the past (a certain little-known website developer comes to mind). Maybe we don't want to put any needless pressure on them (say from people posting topics like these asking for status updates) and would rather let them get to grips with the codebase on their own time. Maybe we're worried that duty and expectations tend to be the death of the joy of programming (which is usually the main motivation driving productivity) and we don't want to kill that off before they even get started.
Could be anything really.
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm Will the (active) devs consider beginning to post small dev blogs? Every dev could kind of have their own (locked) thread of blogposts with a discussion/question thread.
I can't speak for the others but I certainly won't. If you don't have any progress to report then the only things you can post are apologies and empty promises, which I don't feel like doing. In my opinion these things are only useful when working on a big project, where intermittent progress reports are actually relevant. For everything else I consider these posts a waste of time that would be better spent working on the update itself.
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm Are some devs simply on vacation or burned out right now? It'd be understandable if they were IMO
As far as I'm aware none of us have gone on vacation yet nor do we have any plans to. We simply don't have time for it. I don't think anyone is burned out either, we just have pressing deadlines that offer us no freedom to work on our hobby project.
Fungamer wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm Do the devs require some non-code related help (graphics, dialogue writing, ideas in general, etc...) and if so, can the community help?
Not that I'm aware but I could be wrong. Each developer would have to decide that for themselves.
Lykos wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:56 pm Was (the whole "forgiveness" update that allowed many previously banned players to appeal back into the game) a last ditch effort for a desperate cash grab? Or have we really grown soft? Beats me, I'm having way more fun on Lost Ark atm. Admins and devs can take all the time they need, my life doesn't revolve around an RSPS and everyone's here shouldn't either.
Cash grab? I don't see how, these tend to be the players that never donated and never will.
Have we grown soft? I guess that's the right answer, if you consider that being soft.

We made the decision to reevaluate (and often still maintain) past bans for three reasons. One, because punishments have been inconsistent ant guidelines have changed over the years, so there were people "permanently" banned for things that wouldn't get you permanently banned today. So in that sense it was a way of making existing punishments more consistent with our current standards. Two, because we felt we were being unduly harsh over things that happened many years ago, and in some cases we felt people did their time and had been punished enough for the offence they committed. Three, because we felt that staying uncompromisingly stubborn was, in some cases, doing more to harm the server than showing a little forgiveness.

So yeah, maybe we have gone soft. I prefer to think of it as becoming more pragmatic with age.
Fungamer wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:25 am I must ask, why is a vote store revamp taking so long, and why would it be a bad thing if this (and maybe some minor bugfixes) were the only thing that got introduced during an update? Is the entire way how voting (and the logic behind it) works being changed as well?
Because it's not a very high priority for us, and not something we believe will benefit the server all that much. Because the whole thing (the system + the rewards) needs to be thought out and we want to get it right. But mostly I guess because we need to decide on it and we're not convinced by the ideas that are currently on the table.

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:47 am

@Rapsey great reply and thanks for answering questions. I already knew/guessed some of the answers and could draw some conclusions myself from reading the threads, but that's because I'm a forums degenerate who has been reading (almost) every post, (almost) every day for the past few years.

I feel like your comment clears up a lot for some (we'll always have stubborn whiny bitches) of the people who are vocal with their complaining about no updates. Wish we could somehow pin your comment to the front page in a manner that wouldn't require making some news post or whatever lol. I am inclined to disagree about the dev blog thing, as I believe we see the section as something serving a different purpose, so I don't think it makes much sense to argue about it.

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:16 am

Nazuths wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:06 pm I can only answer questions regarding me in this thread, as far as I'm aware, I didn't fail nor pass the trial, yet. I've been working on PvP related content: Larran's chest, The Gauntlet, Last Man Standing including the unique rewards thereof.

Something I would prefer is to not constantly be baited/lynched for things I did or didn't even do, would make it more enjoyable and less demotivating to do dev work. :thumbsup:
Nazuths wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:29 pm
It's no surprise that you only suggest self-serving suggestions, that is true.
You are so quick to throw shade on my threads about being self serving but now I notice you’re working on pvp updates which would be self serving for yourself, hmm…

So you choose self serving updates only. Gotcha

Nazuths
Developer

Post by Nazuths » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:40 am

So much for having a civil discussion about the topic, also a good example of my initial comment, anyways, Rapsey coming in clutch as always. Rank loc tho

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:55 am

Nazuths wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:40 am So much for having a civil discussion about the topic, also a good example of my initial comment, anyways, Rapsey coming in clutch as always. Rank loc tho
It is a civil conversation, this is just one of the points how you’re unprofessional and biased. You have no problem trying to belittle people or throw people under the bus but when it comes to what you do and someone calls you out it’s a hate crime? This post is about updates, yes you’ve said you’re working on updates however you didn’t comment any verification on egolith’s huge post about LMS? Clearly you’ve seen it. You could have simply put “LMS is currently in development”. Yet you choose to do nothing and leave everyone scratching their heads.

Nazuths
Developer

Post by Nazuths » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:59 am

Will be ok2 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:55 am
Nazuths wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:40 am So much for having a civil discussion about the topic, also a good example of my initial comment, anyways, Rapsey coming in clutch as always. Rank loc tho
It is a civil conversation, this is just one of the points how you’re unprofessional and biased. You have no problem trying to belittle people or throw people under the bus but when it comes to what you do and someone calls you out it’s a hate crime? This post is about updates, yes you’ve said you’re working on updates however you didn’t comment any verification on egolith’s huge post about LMS? Clearly you’ve seen it. You could have simply put “LMS is currently in development”. Yet you choose to do nothing and leave everyone scratching their heads.
Egolith wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:05 am
Sorazery wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:47 pm i think its already being worked on bro
Naz told me, but some of the ideas I suggested he didn't think about and liked the idea. I am glad that it's coming to PkH though, I feel like this will help create a lot more pvp content in this server as pvmers will likely try it as they aren't risking gear. Just go easy on the noobs early on plz ;)

But I will mention that posting ideas about things like rewards and leaderboards are still beneficial at this moment. It will give them ideas of what would be good to add for LMS, like an example would be an idea of adding the ornate handle to LMS to upgrade the gmaul (even though I personally would think this isn't a good item to add, it's still input that they can use)
I'm not sure how much clearer you want it?

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:25 am

Nice to see you speak highly of Mike and Rapsey in public.

Bit of a shame of how u speak about them in private behind their backs though...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:57 am

Hope these devs get paid well enough to deal with all 🤡
#Justice4Church
#DemoteRyanHeResigned
#capes2presets2k18

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:26 am

It is what it is. RSPSs are on the downhill and they always will be. We had a great run, and it still is going great. Updates will come when they come. In the mean time, we can fill the gaps with events. Average age on this game is probably like 24+. We all have jobs and life to attend to.

Personally, I don't like the rate that OSRS has been pumping out content. I would prefer that we keep working on QoL updates and don't worry about all of the new content. We have a better version of OSRS in many ways.

tl;dr: Nazuths is fucking corrupt and he will bring the downfall of the server upon us...