A legit post about (the lack of) updates

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Fungamer
Developer

A legit post about (the lack of) updates

Post by Fungamer » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:28 pm

3 word threads or snarky comments aren't really gonna do anything so I'm proposing we have an actual civil discussion about it.

We all know there haven't really been any updates for a while. Why? Dunno. This is a question everyone poses.

There's lots of speculation going on and with that comes shittalking and people claiming that the game is dying or that (certain) developers/the owners are incompetent, don't care, or just want to milk PKH for money and many more wild assumptions.
It's not constructive and leads to resentment from the community and I bet new players are turned away if they hear about this negative sentiment towards devs and owners.

I feel like transparency is the main issue here.

One thing that might help is involving the community a bit and say what's going on behind the scenes. We have dev blogs, why not use them? Not every thread in there needs to be a huge hype thread that shows off multiple updates and polls certain things. It's a blog! Even ranting about some (known/minor) bug you can't figure out how to fix would be nice to see.
Even if its a lot of technical mumbo jumbo, I think that the community would really appreciate seeing that something is actually being done. I'm not denying that the devs work hard, but seeing is believing to many people.

Other than that, I think the community has some questions that could use a more or less official statement:
  • What (and approximately when) will the next update be?
  • What's on the to-do list after that?
  • Is Thoby still a developer? What is he working on?
  • Is Nazuths still a developer? What is he working on? Did he pass or fail his trial, or is he still a trial right now?
  • Are the owners interested in getting more developers?
  • Are there any unknown (trial) devs working on PkH right now? If so, why keep their existence a secret unless they want it that way?
  • Will the (active) devs consider beginning to post small dev blogs? Every dev could kind of have their own (locked) thread of blogposts with a discussion/question thread.
  • Are some devs simply on vacation or burned out right now? It'd be understandable if they were IMO
  • Do the devs require some non-code related help (graphics, dialogue writing, ideas in general, etc...) and if so, can the community help?
If there's any more questions feel free to post them. Anyways that's all I have to throw out there. Let's not turn this thread into a shitfest that ends up getting locked.

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Re: A legit post about (the lack of) updates

Post by Will be ok2 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:39 pm

Great post and I can agree with practically everything.

I think a big issue is the fact Mike is un-willing to add or consider different dev’s there are several people who come to mind that would be willing to help out I believe such as @Fungamer @Raj @Brant and possibly even @Snapzhot .. I don’t think the game will ever “die” but there are definitely slow times and downfalls of players.

Simples things that could be considered aren’t such as challenge mode / hardmode COX and NM. Two basic things which should be easy considering it took a week or so to implement it for COX?

Transparency saves lives. What’s the status of Nazuths, did he fail? Pass? Resign? What’s the deal?

Hopefully this thread can bring some positives.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:40 pm

I for one am in favor of more transparency but it's more of a @Mike @Rapsey @Nazuths type thing

Ephriam
Honor Player

Post by Ephriam » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:03 pm

I agree! one thing that I really liked in the past was when thoby would give sneak peaks at content being made even if it ended up getting scrapped. Overall I like the proposed idea.

Nazuths
Developer

Post by Nazuths » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:06 pm

I can only answer questions regarding me in this thread, as far as I'm aware, I didn't fail nor pass the trial, yet. I've been working on PvP related content: Larran's chest, The Gauntlet, Last Man Standing including the unique rewards thereof.

Something I would prefer is to not constantly be baited/lynched for things I did or didn't even do, would make it more enjoyable and less demotivating to do dev work. :thumbsup:

Lykos
Premium Donator

Post by Lykos » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:56 pm

Haven't been playing much but I frequent the forums for any discussion or suggestion threads. A lot of new games have come out too, I've been on the grind in Lost Ark.

Plus, the whole "forgiveness" update that allowed many previously banned players to appeal back into the game was a huge slap in the nuts. Even if my homies aarip and flaiza are back, it still left a sour taste in my mouth in the regard to the future of the server.

Was it a last ditch effort for a desperate cash grab? Or have we really grown soft? Beats me, I'm having way more fun on Lost Ark atm. Admins and devs can take all the time they need, my life doesn't revolve around an RSPS and everyone's here shouldn't either.
THE DISCONTINUED-DRIVEN RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER

Rest In Peace Lieven

Sorazery
Premium Donator

Post by Sorazery » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:59 pm

i can help out with graphic part if needed, basically made full cox leaderboards without ever getting my promised 5t...

and its fun to think about idea's with other people for something you like (pkh).

also agreeing with lieve (dont ::ss), i dont think people mind if devs or who ever works on updates etc post something every now and then on that blog. it can be minor bug fixes or an idea they have themselfs.

but it would be nice to have a bit of an idea whats going on opposed to the big thread of what do you guys want to see next? and to not hear anything about any of the options for months (no shade)

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:14 pm

Sorazery wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:59 pm

but it would be nice to have a bit of an idea whats going on opposed to the big thread of what do you guys want to see next? and to not hear anything about any of the options for months (no shade)
I must agree with this.

Also twords nazuth’s reply;
What is the reasoning behind coding things that haven’t been brought up previously or put to a poll?

What’s the reason of the previous “what do you want to see next?” thread if you guys have 0 intentions of doing it? Because we were asked what we wanted next, we answered and now we’re being told things polar opposite are being worked on??? Makes no sense and this is why us (the community) gets frustrated because we’re given empty hope.

Nazuths
Developer

Post by Nazuths » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:29 pm

Will be ok2 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:14 pm
Sorazery wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:59 pm

I must agree with this.

Also twords nazuth’s reply;
What is the reasoning behind coding things that haven’t been brought up previously or put to a poll?

What’s the reason of the previous “what do you want to see next?” thread if you guys have 0 intentions of doing it? Because we were asked what we wanted next, we answered and now we’re being told things polar opposite are being worked on??? Makes no sense and this is why us (the community) gets frustrated because we’re given empty hope.
Quotes from the post you're refering to:
Mike wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:49 pm Aside from that, Nazuths has stated he would like to implement the Gauntlet minigame so our players can obtain Crystal equipment. Meanwhile, we are also working on a revamp of our vote store and adding the ability for Ironman to vote on toplists.
Mike wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:49 pm I would like to know what project I should work on next. There are several possibilities, so I figured I'd ask the community for their input.

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:50 pm

#CAPESTOPRESET2k18
#Justice4Church