Honest Opinion

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

Should I be allowed back on the game?

Yes (On all accounts)
28%
Yes (On HC ONLY)
8%
No
64%

Total votes: 36

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Re: Honest Opinion

Post by Rapsey » Wed May 11, 2022 4:12 am

Patel wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:02 am It's just about whether or not the server still cares about his past actions.
Not quite, because as I pointed out in my first reply, public opinion does not affect whether someone gets unbanned (or banned for that matter). So I would amend your statement to: it's just about whether the people who run the server still care about his past actions.

As I said before an essential part of lifting a lifetime expulsion is weighing the risk of further damage against the small benefit of having a player return. Note that this is an entirely "selfish" question, for lack of a better word. It's not about whether the person deserves to have it lifted. Once you get expelled you've already used up all your chances so we're past making decisions based on whether someone should get another chance. Also note that this is a fairly cold and calculated decision. In other words: that's what we do when we personally don't care and are fine with allowing someone back.

The other option is of course that we do care and personally do not want that person back on the server. If that is the case then there is nothing you can do really. You can't force people to forgive you by arguing that they should. We try to run our legal system fairly by offering the same chances to everyone (as best as we can manage). Even if we don't like them, we will give them those chances because they should get the same chances as every other player. After that, you're basically asking for a favor, which by definition means you have no right to insist that it should be granted.

Do I think your childhood mistakes should follow you around for the rest of your life? Of course not. Get out there and have a great life unimpeded by what you did here as a teenager. You're not in prison nor would any sane person suggest that you should be.

But, in this tiny corner of the internet, you have managed to piss off some people so much that they never want to deal with you again. And whether you agree with that or not, they have every right to choose not to deal with you again. Just like you have every right to do that with anyone who sufficiently pisses you off. Even if they were "only" 16 when they did it.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Wed May 11, 2022 4:38 am

Rapsey wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:12 am
Patel wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:02 am It's just about whether or not the server still cares about his past actions.
Not quite, because as I pointed out in my first reply, public opinion does not affect whether someone gets unbanned (or banned for that matter). So I would amend your statement to: it's just about whether the people who run the server still care about his past actions.
This is too hair-splitty for me to get in ruckus over, but that was my intended meaning. Besides supers, the people who run the server (and help guide its rules etc.) are also brought up from the playerbase anyways, so it's not like there's a hard boundary. Hence 'server'
Rapsey wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:12 am But, in this tiny corner of the internet, you have managed to piss off some people so much that they never want to deal with you again.
Yep

Jousi
Premium Donator

Post by Jousi » Mon May 16, 2022 12:12 am

Aaron, you also scammed Jumping Bug. You didn't complete service for him and you took his money and statuses. You also got muted on his account for flaming and the account was banned. The thing is that because Jumping Bug is softly disposed, he didn't make a large fuss about it at the time (which he should have) so I'm here holding his mantle.

You've always succeeded in appealing to our good nature. And look where that got us? You always let us down and you never did it in a trivial way. Exploiting people's trust was a definitive feature of your often short visits.

As Rapsey said, this is a small corner of the internet. Because of that, we are entitled to have long memories. Our good nature or lack of it was never the issue. You were.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Mon May 16, 2022 3:14 am

Jousi wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:12 am As Rapsey said, this is a small corner of the internet. Because of that, we are entitled to have long memories. Our good nature or lack of it was never the issue. You were.
*Chef's kiss*

Really hit it on the head with "we're entitled to long memories." Never quite knew how to express that feeling so succinctly

Webacklit
Novice

Post by Webacklit » Mon May 16, 2022 9:09 am

So what's the decision

Arrsenic
Premium Donator

Post by Arrsenic » Mon May 16, 2022 9:59 am

Webacklit wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:09 am So what's the decision
As stated before, there is no decision here to be made.

This topic wouldnt affect the appeal\odds of your ban lifting.

Ryan
Staff Manager

Post by Ryan » Mon May 16, 2022 11:16 am

You made it a pretty easy decision. You still seem to roll around with this arrogant "they'll get over it, even though I've screwed them over four times before" attitude.

I don't see any sort of remorse from you, its all about "it was ages ago, get over it". And what little remorse you do show, just seems fake. Much like the other four times. I'll be honest, I don't see any benefit in letting you back. Sure, people make mistakes every now and then, perhaps once off offences that they regret, but you, I just don't see that. Sometimes things happen so often, they become more of a pattern than a coincidence.