name changing

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
John utah
Rookie

name changing

Post by John utah » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:07 pm

hello everyone,

just wanted to say it be a cool feature to add to game, where you could change your name for set price or as 1 time only change. Would like to players feedback and see if its a good suggestion!

all love to pkhonor family!

from
John Utah
john Utah :D

Monys
Forum Addict

Re: name changing

Post by Monys » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:17 pm

This has definitely been suggested before.

It's a cool concept but I think it would get rather confusing quickly and could potentially be a huge amount of dev time without much gain

No support from me, to be honest.

Remember to ::vote for "Mony" ingame

Proud member of PkHonor

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:49 pm

So the process is like 4 steps:
1. Make an id -> name table, which is updated whenever someone changes their name
2. Bring all tables which use name as a (or in their) primary key up to date, populating their id field using a reverse search on the id table, making id (part of) the new primary key, dropping the name column, reindexing, all the fun stuff.
3. On login, reverse search the uid using the login name again and store it in the session manager or whatever system handles separating user sessions. Modifying the login check should be trivial.
4. Change all the queries to use the uid which was stored on login in the where clause. That will be very easy or very hard depending what the module that handles db calls looks like. If user key is just a parameter in a function call, or even better, an initialization variable for an object which handles retrieving information for a single user throughout a session, it'll be very easy. Anything else and you get a big 'gl' from me

This is purely a change that needs to be made in the game code, forums account names are already independent of the account id.

I support it, but only if you're in the case where it's not overly difficult. If the devs have to go manually rewrite like 20 different queries which are hardcoded into the source then not really worth

Edit: I left out the part where the devs have to do UI and command/endpoint updates to support the feature, but to be honest, it'd be a pretty good feature imo, so I won't consider that as a factor since that's the same work which goes into pretty much anything that isn't a bugfix

Thoby
Developer

Post by Thoby » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:36 pm

This was discussed before a few times, but this is the most recent thread.

Highly recommend to read that and check Rapsey's reply.
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:37 pm

20000 Donator credits
#Justice4Church

Monys
Forum Addict

Post by Monys » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:09 am

Let's just remove names from the game. They cause too many problems