FP and Dicing Poll

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

Should There Be Flower Poker and Dicing Implemented?

Yes
22%
No
67%
(Flower Poker only)
8%
(Dicing only)
3%

Total votes: 36

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Re: FP and Dicing Poll

Post by Rapsey » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:15 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:21 am Then remove the gambling aspect away from duel?

You already have the gambling in game, what's the difference whether you hit someone with a whip or plant 5 seeds?
And how do you propose we do that?

The duel arena is just a tool. It can be used for gambling as well as skill-based contests. Just like guns can be used to murder people but also for protection and peacekeeping, which is why they are useful tools worth keeping around. Dicing and flower poker are like guns that can only be used for murder, nothing good. There is no reason to have such a thing.

But I think the most important reason for keeping the duel arena intact is that it's an iconic part of the game. This whole "if you don't add X then you have to remove Y as well" argument is silly IMO, you have to draw the line somewhere. If you follow that reasoning you can eventually claim that spending some of your wealth on supplies for a chance of getting a big drop from a boss is a gambling mechanic that needs to be removed.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 pm

M e l 0 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:06 pm capturing the attention and providing the content for WANDERING players is important because despite a seemingly small retaining rate, some of the few that stay can play a role for the servers continued success. I ask all developers to read this and reconsider a quick and simple content addition that can do more than just provide another venue of gambling for players who already do so. There are ways to make these games automatic as to where people could not get scammed, it is not difficult and it is worthwhile for both the owners and players.
It's a counterintuitive idea, but catering a part of the server to a transient population might actually be worth looking into. Instead of retaining those specific players, we would just retain a certain number of players, even though they're not necessarily all the same across a long period of time. More plainly, we'd boost playercounts by some number (say we go up by ~30 players online, on average). My only concern is that the 'best' idea we have for this is gambling, which I'm still not in favor of.

Raj
Developer

Post by Raj » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:30 am

Patel wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 pm It's a counterintuitive idea, but catering a part of the server to a transient population might actually be worth looking into. Instead of retaining those specific players, we would just retain a certain number of players, even though they're not necessarily all the same across a long period of time. More plainly, we'd boost playercounts by some number (say we go up by ~30 players online, on average). My only concern is that the 'best' idea we have for this is gambling, which I'm still not in favor of.
I know "every player is valuable" but are they really, you know? Stakers/gamblers (as in, the transient population we're talking about, no digs here) bring a couple things guaranteed: donations and toxicity. Maybe not all of them but if there were a statistical analysis done between stakers and a control I'm sure there'd be a healthy discrepancy in those two fields.

Would I blame Mike and Rapsey for doing it? Not at all. Do I prefer 70-130 players usually to 100-200 in a situation where the server is just an endless stream of toxicity, personally? Absolutely

And to be clear, I don't think this would be very effective at all. I'm saying a 30-70 player boost as like an absolute best case. The problem is, people don't come to PkHonor (an advertised eco/PvM server), say 'darn there's no dicing or fp', and log out. Like let's be honest. People who are here for the gambling and because they like the time it takes to progress just stake. I just don't see it making a huge difference, short of going all in and advertising ourselves as a gambling server on our toplist spots.

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:49 am

I think it’s pretty clear on the decision here in regards to this clearly never happening because the only benefit of this is more ways to gamble for the current stakers along with a potential money grab in hopes of spiked donations because of this which Rapsey already shot down. Should probably just L&A now..

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:18 pm

Make duel a 50/50 preset for the addicts. One preset option in duel screen where if you pick it its a fool-proof automatic start whip only and you can only stake exact same amounts.

5% tax on any other type of duel, ignore all scamming refunds. Which we already do anyway ig.

No to new scam sensitive ways to gamble.
#Justice4Church
#DemoteRyanHeResigned
#capes2presets2k18

Fungamer
Developer

Post by Fungamer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:19 pm

I'm not sure about how I feel about this myself but... How would you guys feel about a Nx2 dicing NPC?

N being either 55 like traditional dicing, or a higher number in favor of the "house"

Could probably be a gold sink. On the other hand it could be removing 100b from various players in one day and then some rich guy gets lucky with a 1t bet which means we end up pumping 900b into the economy out of thin air which is something we don't want.

Statistics may be skewed in favor of the house (money gets removed) but still... I'm too small brained to see if there's odds we could use that would end up in cash being removed from the eco but still being low enough for players. Even 99 to 1 could mean a guy gets super lucky and gains a load of money.

I guess to prevent this there could be a cap on each individual bet to minimize the risk of so much cash suddenly being pumped into the eco. Either way this dicing npc would literally be a slot machine where players could get addicted to it and lose bank which is something I know people wont like (neither do I tbh).

Or we could get an actual high stakes lottery system with the lottery guy.