FP and Dicing Poll

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

Should There Be Flower Poker and Dicing Implemented?

Yes
22%
No
67%
(Flower Poker only)
8%
(Dicing only)
3%

Total votes: 36

Thoby
Developer

Re: FP and Dicing Poll

Post by Thoby » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:33 pm

Rapsey wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:55 pm
Brant wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm If you want to gamble, don't do it on this server
Exactly, go play FIFA. :)

Personally I despise how monetization in games is moving towards gambling mechanics. Don't want to become what I hate.
So should I stop working on the Squeal of Fortune? 😔
Feel free to send me a message, I'd gladly have a chat!
Image Image

Lykos
Premium Donator

Post by Lykos » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:11 pm

no
THE DISCONTINUED-DRIVEN RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER

Rest In Peace Lieven

Monys
Forum Addict

Post by Monys » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:32 pm

Thoby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:33 pm
Brant wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm If you want to gamble, don't do it on this server

Personally I despise how monetization in games is moving towards gambling mechanics. Don't want to become what I hate.
The only squealing that will be going on if this is added is yours

Remember to ::vote for "Mony" ingame

Proud member of PkHonor

Bamf status
Premium Donator

Post by Bamf status » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:05 am

There's already the duel arena. Or Las Vegas. Plenty of options there, including hot women. No for me dawg
---They Aint gonna give it to you, so go take it---

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:21 am

Then remove the gambling aspect away from duel?

You already have the gambling in game, what's the difference whether you hit someone with a whip or plant 5 seeds?

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Post by Iron adam » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:34 am

Monys wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:32 pm
Thoby wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:33 pm

The only squealing that will be going on if this is added is yours
and not the good kind...

M e l 0
Premium Donator

Post by M e l 0 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:02 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:21 am

You already have the gambling in game, what's the difference whether you hit someone with a whip or plant 5 seeds?

You see the vision

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:16 am

M e l 0 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:02 am
Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:21 am

You see the vision
As I said, it's easier to not add things than to remove things. The duel arena and staking is already here and has already affected the game on a grand scale, if we remove it now that would cause people who don't even stake to be unhappy. But if we don't add something, as worst we get three or four people who voted yes slightly annoyed.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:54 am

M e l 0 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:49 am
Church wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:05 am
Stale fish1 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:05 am

Right but it's kinda funny how the bigger rsps' all have custom gambling which is extremely active (and brings in tons of donos from the addicts)

Why not just remove duel arena staking as well then
It’s easier to not add something than to remove something. I don’t know what Mike and Raps think about staking, but I personally don’t think it encourages long lasting players or a healthy community. At least when pvp invites toxicity there’s a push and pull nature to the game mode.
I don’t have access to much info regarding donations but I imagine staking would have the same issue mobile games often have which is that the micro transactions are almost never spread out greatly among the community and are more focused on the “whales” that spend the most. The rule of thumb being 80/20 (80% of donations coming from 20%) of players. So I think that even if those new types of gambling brought a small influx of donations they wouldn’t create a steady stream of reliable income. Rapsey can feel free to correct me and call me stupid for speculating.
Ultimately I just think gambling is a unhealthy and provides no content for the majority of the player base, but does provide temptation.
Tl;dr I don’t think it would provide any benefit that offsets the harm of people quitting
Gambling is just as much of a push/pull nature as PKing is or even PVM. Everything in the game relies on RNG even player vs player. I understand your moral and server-economic stance on this but simply shutting down the idea leaves no room for growth or improvement among players who want simple added features in a game that would not affect those who choose not to partake in it at all. If keeping the server at 100 players steady is the end game for ownership then by all means lock this thread, but there is indeed added value to implementing different elements of gambling that already exist on the server. There are people begging to be cleaned at duel arena daily but we cross the line at different venues of this? In my opinion it would just enhance the experience of those who already partake or would like to.
IMO there is just an expectation by a large co-moving population of players that just go from server to server. A lot of servers these days resemble each other in some broad way that includes dicing, MTX, gambling, PvP focus, and lots of donor rewards. Automatic tourneys are a big feature I see pretty often as well. Being up to date with OSRS isn't necessary - half the servers that claim to be have botched implementations of ToB, CoX, etc. that are far different from OSRS. Not to say PkHonor's is perfect but it's definitely better than most.

So I agree with the assessment that we could gain players by doing this. However I don't think it's in line with the kind of server PkHonor is. I think that pushing more updates for endgame OSRS content and maybe doing some new stuff again (Titans were such a cool addition!) would bring players in. But for the game - not for the gambling. If people are only here to gamble, they will leave as soon as they lose. And a majority of players lose

M e l 0
Premium Donator

Post by M e l 0 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:06 pm

Patel wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:54 am
M e l 0 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:49 am
Church wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:05 am

It’s easier to not add something than to remove something. I don’t know what Mike and Raps think about staking, but I personally don’t think it encourages long lasting players or a healthy community. At least when pvp invites toxicity there’s a push and pull nature to the game mode.
I don’t have access to much info regarding donations but I imagine staking would have the same issue mobile games often have which is that the micro transactions are almost never spread out greatly among the community and are more focused on the “whales” that spend the most. The rule of thumb being 80/20 (80% of donations coming from 20%) of players. So I think that even if those new types of gambling brought a small influx of donations they wouldn’t create a steady stream of reliable income. Rapsey can feel free to correct me and call me stupid for speculating.
Ultimately I just think gambling is a unhealthy and provides no content for the majority of the player base, but does provide temptation.
Tl;dr I don’t think it would provide any benefit that offsets the harm of people quitting
Gambling is just as much of a push/pull nature as PKing is or even PVM. Everything in the game relies on RNG even player vs player. I understand your moral and server-economic stance on this but simply shutting down the idea leaves no room for growth or improvement among players who want simple added features in a game that would not affect those who choose not to partake in it at all. If keeping the server at 100 players steady is the end game for ownership then by all means lock this thread, but there is indeed added value to implementing different elements of gambling that already exist on the server. There are people begging to be cleaned at duel arena daily but we cross the line at different venues of this? In my opinion it would just enhance the experience of those who already partake or would like to.
IMO there is just an expectation by a large co-moving population of players that just go from server to server. A lot of servers these days resemble each other in some broad way that includes dicing, MTX, gambling, PvP focus, and lots of donor rewards. Automatic tourneys are a big feature I see pretty often as well. Being up to date with OSRS isn't necessary - half the servers that claim to be have botched implementations of ToB, CoX, etc. that are far different from OSRS. Not to say PkHonor's is perfect but it's definitely better than most.

So I agree with the assessment that we could gain players by doing this. However, I don't think it's in line with the kind of server PkHonor is. I think that pushing more updates for endgame OSRS content and maybe doing some new stuff again (Titans were such a cool addition!) would bring players in. But for the game - not for the gambling. If people are only here to gamble, they will leave as soon as they lose. And a majority of players lose

Finally, a great reply that acknowledges all angles from implementing this idea. I wholeheartedly agree that many servers use the same get-players-quick model of lots of donor rewards, boxes, gambling, and pvp; and you can tell right off the bat what kind of server it will turn out to be. I also agree that players that go from server to server look for these common things but that is because of one reason: they add content and people are looking for content. I like PKhonor, and the relatively medium-sized community they have that does not revolve around gambling and who can donate the most; as I'm not advocating for having a server with 350 Venezuelans at flower poker asking for loans like some other servers, BUT capturing the attention and providing the content for WANDERING players is important because despite a seemingly small retaining rate, some of the few that stay can play a role for the servers continued success. I ask all developers to read this and reconsider a quick and simple content addition that can do more than just provide another venue of gambling for players who already do so. There are ways to make these games automatic as to where people could not get scammed, it is not difficult and it is worthwhile for both the owners and players.