Recently returned, Can ironman be removed?

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Rapsey
Sysadmin

Re: Recently returned, Can ironman be removed?

Post by Rapsey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:26 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:11 am Brb xfering all my wealth from my iron
If you want it all to be confiscated, be my guest.

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 am

Rapsey wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:26 am
Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:11 am Brb xfering all my wealth from my iron
If you want it all to be confiscated, be my guest.
You sound like a teacher threatening to take a kids candy :( I'm sad now

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:56 am

Yeah I think in the beginning it was more clear that you weren't supposed to be doing that but it gradually changed into being a normal thing to do. Demote the staff team for allowing this to happen, starting with @Nazuths.

Buncha spoonfed irons, alch nerf doing more work than expected by countering these ironman exploitermans. Couldn't be me though.
#Justice4Church

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:54 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 am You sound like a teacher threatening to take a kids candy :( I'm sad now
What's sad is that we can't add a reward for genuine PvP kills without people using it to trade stuff off of an account that shouldn't be able to trade. :roll:

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 am

Rapsey wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:54 am
Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 am You sound like a teacher threatening to take a kids candy :( I'm sad now
What's sad is that we can't add a reward for genuine PvP kills without people using it to trade stuff off of an account that shouldn't be able to trade. :roll:
What's the reasoning behind the whole "shouldn't trade over gp from your iron" if you are bored of the game mode but have spent over 1k hours you should atleast be offered alch value for your items?

Interested to hear your thoughts on this

The underdog
Premium Donator

Post by The underdog » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:30 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 am
What's the reasoning behind the whole "shouldn't trade over gp from your iron" if you are bored of the game mode but have spent over 1k hours you should atleast be offered alch value for your items?

You get inflated rewards and perks like customs and special party hats grow on trees. More items from a good money maker can come into the game. Example bandos is 50b an hour, everyone wants to do it but there's only place for 1x 50b an hour since 1x boss. But if 10x iron alt make 50b an hour in instance, transfer it over to main that's boosted. Alch value especially now does mitigate most of that though.
#Justice4Church

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:37 am

The underdog wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:30 am
Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 am

You get inflated rewards and perks like customs and special party hats grow on trees. More items from a good money maker can come into the game. Example bandos is 50b an hour, everyone wants to do it but there's only place for 1x 50b an hour since 1x boss. But if 10x iron alt make 50b an hour in instance, transfer it over to main that's boosted. Alch value especially now does mitigate most of that though.
Yet again just contradicted the shit out of yourself all in 1 paragraph, no way is any money maker currently instanced make more money on an iron considering alch value. This been alch values before and after the change

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:38 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 am What's the reasoning behind the whole "shouldn't trade over gp from your iron" if you are bored of the game mode but have spent over 1k hours you should atleast be offered alch value for your items?

Why should you? You chose to play an account that can't trade, one that exists outside the economy. Why then should you be able to dump your wealth into the economy?

It's kinda like someone who spends 1K hours playing the single player offline version of a game (because he enjoys that more) and then asks why he can't transfer all that spent effort to the online multi player version. I understand the impulse (why not have it all if you can) but it doesn't make sense. It's far more logical to say: this is the version I chose to play knowing full well what it meant for my progress. If you chose to play offline single player that means your progress only exists on your own hard drive. If you chose to play ironman then your progress only exists on that one account. Trying to change that afterwards because you've enjoyed the benefits of one thing and now you want the benefits of another, to get the best of both worlds... That is at best opportunistic, at worst greedy.

Stale fish1
Wise One

Post by Stale fish1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:48 am

Rapsey wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:38 am
Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 am What's the reasoning behind the whole "shouldn't trade over gp from your iron" if you are bored of the game mode but have spent over 1k hours you should atleast be offered alch value for your items?

Why should you? You chose to play an account that can't trade, one that exists outside the economy. Why then should you be able to dump your wealth into the economy?

It's kinda like someone who spends 1K hours playing the single player offline version of a game (because he enjoys that more) and then asks why he can't transfer all that spent effort to the online multi player version. I understand the impulse (why not have it all if you can) but it doesn't make sense. It's far more logical to say: this is the version I chose to play knowing full well what it meant for my progress. If you chose to play offline single player that means your progress only exists on your own hard drive. If you chose to play ironman then your progress only exists on that one account. Trying to change that afterwards because you've enjoyed the benefits of one thing and now you want the benefits of another, to get the best of both worlds... That is at best opportunistic, at worst greedy.
I see your point. But yet the sole tradeable currency to the "single player" mode of the game is donator credits? Kinda defeats the purpose as well hey..

Appreciate your reply Lord Rapsey, I do think however more light should be shined on this subject as I don't think there is a clear line in the sand on whether or not xfering your gp is an illegal action.

I personally can't think of any cons to allowing the xfer to occur but I can think of some pros

Pros: said player who never really played their main account is over their ironman, but dead end in the progress and kinda burnt. They have this gp on their iron but not allowed to xfer it so they ultimately quit instead of continuing to play on a main account with a small portion of the wealth acquired from the ironman.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:53 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:48 am I see your point. But yet the sole tradeable currency to the "single player" mode of the game is donator credits? Kinda defeats the purpose as well hey..
I don't see your point with this one. Even single player games need to be monetized somehow.
Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:48 am I personally can't think of any cons to allowing the xfer to occur but I can think of some pros

Pros: said player who never really played their main account is over their ironman, but dead end in the progress and kinda burnt. They have this gp on their iron but not allowed to xfer it so they ultimately quit instead of continuing to play on a main account with a small portion of the wealth acquired from the ironman.
I personally can't think of any pro's to allowing the xfer to occur but I can think of some cons.

Cons:
  • Dumps more wealth into the economy (one of the good things about irons is that they're not contributing to the massive wealth inflation of the eco)
  • Someone who played ironman and now wants to play a regular account gets to take a big shortcut (would be better for the game if they had to start again from scratch, instead of using their iron wealth to skip over a bunch of playtime on their new regular account)
  • Someone who played ironman, "quit" and xfered their wealth (usually to stake it or do a giveaway) will almost certainly quit permanently, whereas they might've returned after a break if they still had their entire iron bank
  • Having the option discourages irons from using their wealth to support the game financially (like how irons were complaining that bank slots are "way too expensive for them" while they're routinely offloading hundreds of bills or even trills to add to their main's wealth stack)
Pro's:

For the game? None.
For the player? Sure, you get to add more wealth to your main's cash pile, obviously that's a pro for you.

Points 2 and 3 about players who get bored with ironman are the big ones. I honestly believe this sort of cashing in progress / moving it from one thing to another is inherently bad for the game. Especially on an RSPS, where the acquisition of wealth is the main form of progress.

Let's say you've been playing the shit out of CoD Black Ops 4 until you got bored with it. Then Black Ops Cold War comes out. You could say: surely it's a good thing if I could delete everything I've obtained on BO4 and have it added to BOCW, right? Cause that gives me extra incentive to play BOCW which I might not do if I had to start over.

Is it good for BO4? Nope, you will never touch that thing again after having nuked your account.
Is it good for BOCW? Nope, because BOCW actually wants you to play it and progress again, not have you insta-unlock all the good stuff so you can reach the endgame without having to play much. And you sure as hell won't spend any money on it because you don't need to, after having transferred over all your riches from the old game.

I know these games aren't the best comparison but you get the idea. It's usually a good thing that our progress can't be transferred, so that we have to play and progress again on another game(mode). Jagex seems to be realizing this too, just look at what they're doing with leagues. In fact ironman itself is also a perfect example of that strategy: here's a gamemode where you have to start over from scratch, and you can't fast-forward your way through by transferring wealth from another account. Making people actually spend time playing the game is what's good for the game.