Vote! No replies!

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

Do you feel that the staff team shows favoritism when giving out warning or punishments?

Yea
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 53

Patel
Advisor

Re: Vote! No replies!

Post by Patel » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:23 pm

Elon musky wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:19 pm @Patel just give it a rest man.

Just because I choose not to fight every battle that is brought up, doesn’t mean that I’m automatically flawed or I always think I’m right and everyone else is wrong. It just means I have other things to spend my energy on, so I would rather cut my loses than continue on an endless debate.

I feel like I’ve done a decent job expressing my points very clearly. If you don’t agree with them, fine. If you agree with them, fine. I’ve stepped up to bat for all of my opinions thus far. This is no longer an open discussion, instead it has turned into a war with words, which wasn’t the intent of the post.
The only times I've ever pulled that line are when I don't want to discuss anymore.
Like I said man, if you really wanted a discussion thread you'd have already made it. I don't think you actually want to discuss this. Expressing your points is half the battle, defending them/entertaining alternatives without 'agreeing to disagree' is a discussion.

Elon musky
Premium Donator

Post by Elon musky » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:29 pm

Patel wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:23 pm
Elon musky wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:19 pm @Patel just give it a rest man.

Just because I choose not to fight every battle that is brought up, doesn’t mean that I’m automatically flawed or I always think I’m right and everyone else is wrong. It just means I have other things to spend my energy on, so I would rather cut my loses than continue on an endless debate.

I feel like I’ve done a decent job expressing my points very clearly. If you don’t agree with them, fine. If you agree with them, fine. I’ve stepped up to bat for all of my opinions thus far. This is no longer an open discussion, instead it has turned into a war with words, which wasn’t the intent of the post.
The only times I've ever pulled that line are when I don't want to discuss anymore.
Like I said man, if you really wanted a discussion thread you'd have already made it. I don't think you actually want to discuss this. Expressing your points is half the battle, defending them/entertaining alternatives without 'agreeing to disagree' is a discussion.
This wasn’t suppose to be the place for a discussion. This is why I asked for no reply’s. I explain why in the quotes below.
This question could in the future lead to a more in-depth discussion on the severity, but first we have to ask “Is it a thing”..... because if 80% of the population says No it isn’t, then there is no other discussion to be made.
A problem we have had recently is that people are proposing solutions to issues, but because there hasn’t been a common consensus that there is a problem, it doesn’t gain traction and gets quite messy. Therefore, by a simple poll asking “Is this a problem?”, we can come to an agreement that there is a problem.
There is no discussion to be made until we come to a common agreement that this is either a problem, or it is not. Which simply requires a yes or a no. This is why the poll is not useless to me.
So making a post asking, “Why do you think the staff team shows favoritism?” would be putting the cart before the horse because I just ASSUMING what others believe. First I have to figure out, do people really believes the staff team shows favoritism.

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:38 pm

This is where you lose me - everyone already knows bias/inconsistency exists, and we're already discussing/open to discussing where it comes from.
said more plainly - we already agree there's a problem (inconsistency). Sometimes it's better, sometimes its worse. Depends on the team and time of year; are staff members busy IRL and paying less attention to the game? Are they on too much? Are things in good balance? Is the manager keeping them on their toes? Is there a bad apple in the team? Etc.

The discussion is about why it's there (which I think you agree is important). What you're ignoring is everyone already knows the inconsistency exists. We're just less interested in a poll with a pointed question that's clearly meant to favor your views, and more interested in the actual discussion.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:00 am

Perfect consistency is an unattainable goal. The question is rather, is the level of consistency we have unacceptable? Or perhaps more importantly, is some inconsistency even a bad thing?

Going back to the real life analogy you can find all the same inconsistencies. Not for major offences like murder and such, no one should get away with those (just like on here no one is let off the hook for, say, mass hacking). But for minor offences like traffic violations (or spamming yell in our case)? Most of the time you can do them and not get punished because no law enforcer notices. And don't think you can go to the cops saying "I have smartphone footage of someone parking illegally" and they will act on it. Even when one does witness the act, the result will vary based on which cop you encounter, what mood he's in, how polite you are and so on. You may get the "appropriate" punishment for the offence, or you may be let off with a slap on the wrist.

Is it really such a big problem in our society that not every minor transgression is punished with clockwork consistency? As long as there's no systemic bias, who cares.

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:13 am

Here, let me explain the philosophy by which I moderate and by extension the mods that I have taught moderate (this also applies to most of the mods as it came from past constructive criticisms).

The goal of the staff team is not to punish people or to ban people. Ultimately our goal is to ensure that the environment that people play in is as positive as possible. You don't want to be too heavy-handed and make people feel like the staff team is made up of a bunch of dictators, and you don't want to be light handed and make people think anyone can do and say anything they want.

By choosing to do it this way we have a finer than usual line to walk on than mod teams normally would, and thus the perception of bias induced inconsistency will be more common. I prefer to warn people for casual yell banter a few times before issuing server warnings or mutes because people don't have as much fun when a mod shows up the instant someone says anything out of line to issue warnings, on top of the fact that a small amount of banter is a fun thing. Though I will admit there's far too many people on here who take it entirely too seriously and need to mature a bit.

This means that every mod kind of has an internal idea of how far is too far. This is where the discussion should've started, is the variation between the mods too much, and is there a place in which some mods vary too much between friends, clan members, etc.

It's impossible for us to be perfectly consistent, but it's also possible for us to be more consistent. On an individual basis if you feel you've seen a mod do something slightly off, contact an admin about it. If you feel like they've done something very off, or abusive, file a staff report so Ryan can deal with it.

At the very least, it'd be nice to have some more specific cases of the inconsistencies so we can hash them out. It's entirely possible that for you specifically the places you've seen them can be entirely explained away by subject matter you're not familiar with as a normal player.

E l y
Premium Donator

Post by E l y » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:42 am

Elon asked a simple poll and got ripped a new ass :?

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:43 am

E l y wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:42 am Elon asked a simple poll and got ripped a new ass :?
Elon asked for attention and got what he asked for*

Elon musky
Premium Donator

Post by Elon musky » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:48 am

Thierryu1 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:43 am
E l y wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:42 am Elon asked a simple poll and got ripped a new ass :?
Elon asked for attention and got what he asked for*
Thank you for adding depth to the conversation. You’re really helping the server grow.