State of PkHonor

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Elon musky
Premium Donator

Re: State of PkHonor

Post by Elon musky » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:52 am

Thierryu1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:50 am
Church wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:46 am
Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:31 am What about in the case of someone attempting to grab your ip adress via a phishing link on discord? Which could be used to either ddos you or even dox @Church
I mean, me personally I'd delete the link and ban the user from the discord if it happened through our discord. You run into that same issue where you can never be truly sure who posted something in the discord compared to who they are in game.

If it happened in another discord, it would be on their moderators to decide what to do with it.
But like, if for instance a player comes to you with screenshots of doxing in let's say a Whatsapp groupchat and post it on PKH because it's obviously PKH related, is it then something you mods and admins will act on or is it like "yea it's outside of our platforms and therefore not in our power to do anything about it until it reaches the platform directly". Just wondering here.
I could change my name to Thierryu1 on WhatsApp and pretend I’m you and get you banned in that case. That’s why they can’t do anything.

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:55 am

Elon musky wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:52 am
Thierryu1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:50 am
Church wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:46 am

I mean, me personally I'd delete the link and ban the user from the discord if it happened through our discord. You run into that same issue where you can never be truly sure who posted something in the discord compared to who they are in game.

If it happened in another discord, it would be on their moderators to decide what to do with it.
But like, if for instance a player comes to you with screenshots of doxing in let's say a Whatsapp groupchat and post it on PKH because it's obviously PKH related, is it then something you mods and admins will act on or is it like "yea it's outside of our platforms and therefore not in our power to do anything about it until it reaches the platform directly". Just wondering here.
I could change my name to Thierryu1 on WhatsApp and pretend I’m you and get you banned in that case. That’s why they can’t do anything.
Threat? Mods?

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:09 am

I just feel like it's risky to ask us to handle outside of PkH things, but of course if Ryan, Rapsey, and Mike think it's best to do it that way I will do so.

Consider that even for reports within our own game, screenshots have to be full screenshots to prevent the risk of editing or misleading. How can you expect a mod who is not in a discord to be able to confirm without a doubt that a user within that discord is the same user within our discord and that they're also X player in our game?

Same thing for chats with no proof of who is who at all, or that they even actually happened. Maybe a player fake doxxed themselves in Whatsapp and blamed a player for doing it. There's so much uncertainty that acting on it is placing a lot of power into the hands of people who aren't free from the temptation to abuse it.

It's not me who decides how these situations and once you get to the point where situations are as serious as doxxing each case can be handled a little differently. But that's just my interpretation of why we tend not to hand out severe punishments for things that don't happen "within" pkhonor.

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:13 am

"Because we can't" is half the answer. We can't see your discord PM's or WhatsApp messages, or the IP address of the person behind them. Anyone could fake a screenshot and we'd just have to trust that it's legit. Absolutely no way to verify it.

The other half of the answer is: because we shouldn't. We are here to keep our corner of the internet clean of such bad behaviour, not to moderate the entirety of discord, WhatsApp, Facebook messenger, your Twitter feed and the rest of the internet. It's not our place. Imagine your Fortnite account getting banned and Epic Games going "ah yes, we saw you saying something to another Fortnite player on Facebook that's against our rules so yea". That would be bizarre, what right do they have to extend their rules to other platforms. They're not the internet police and neither are we. Outside of our respective games people can do what they like, and if it breaches the terms of use of whatever service it happened on, take it up with them.

Empty
Honor Player

Post by Empty » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:13 am

lmfao

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:37 am

Stale fish1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:31 am What about in the case of someone attempting to grab your ip adress via a phishing link on discord? Which could be used to either ddos you or even dox @Church
Patel wrote:The idea that we don't take/haven't taken off-server evidence seriously is untrue. And that's a good thing
(In reference to RWT/leads for RWT, but also as a shoehorn for 'hey if the evidence is there why not')

That aside, dealing with off-server stuff is definitely the exception, not the rule. You gotta have great evidence, good pointers, and good leads. Otherwise like Thierryu said - you could probably frame someone for something they didn't do. You also would just be looking at a dead end very quickly. Most cases in that category are unsolvable, even with extensive thinking, time, and effort. So I cannot imagine that a rule in favor of dealing with things like that will ever be made.