rate my steak

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Jon
Honor Player

Re: rate my steak

Post by Jon » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:15 pm

Looks yum

Iron blix
Premium Donator

Post by Iron blix » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:24 pm

We need more food pictures.

Monys
Forum Addict

Post by Monys » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:54 pm

Blixie wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:24 pm We need more food pictures.
Post your modeling pictures

Remember to ::vote for "Mony" ingame

Proud member of PkHonor

Brant
Fanatic

Post by Brant » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:47 pm

As someone who works in a meat department, looks good

Tezey
Honor Player

Post by Tezey » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:58 pm

That's one way to do it.

Feedback/How I would do it.

Picking meat: That's a nice piece of steak. Keep in mind that when you cook it the "bigger" pieces of fat will render and make the steak "fall apart", you can use butchers twine to make it stick together more but there's no need tbh.

Preheat seasoning: Good job on the room temp, many people miss that. As for bbq mix on a steak tho, wtf.

Placement: Why reverse sear? Isn't it easier the other way around? You get the crust you need and then set it to the side till it's done, now you set it to the side and let it get close to done and then sear it like you want and pray you don't overcook it.

Searing your steak: Why the skillet? If you put it directly over the fire you wont have the problem of burning the black pepper. In a skillet you'll burn the pepper for sure. Also no grill-lines :cry:

Waiting: Ah yes another good job. I wouldn't use aluminum foil tho, the sear should keep the steak warm and make it eatable in 5-10 mins.

The crust: Probably just the camera but for a skillet sear that looks like it was cooked in the oven. The normal sear method would make it better.

Doneness: You say medium but that looks over 140° to me. Probably just the camera.

Hope I wasn't too harsh but I can't stand people failing steaks lol. I'm sure your steak was good but I always see ways to improve.

Things you should try:
Dry-brining. You put salt on your steak like usual but you let it sit in your fridge for 10-24 hours. This will let the salt penetrate the meat all the way and you don't need to put more salt on it.
Seering and finnishing it in your skillet with butter/rosemary basting. Seer your steak, add butter(alot) and rosemary to the skillet and melt the butter. You don't want it too hot since you already seered the steak and now you just want it to go to 130-135°.
Ditch the bbq seasoning. You get the smoke and charcoal flavours from the grill and you don't want paprika flavours on your steak anyway. I always put garlic powder on my steaks. You can add fresh garlics when you bast your steak too but I prefer garlic powder.
Sous-vide. Set it at 130-135° for 1.5-2 hours with seasoning (use salt, black pepper and garlic powder/fresh garlic). Get your grill as hot as possible and seer them off like 1 min per steak max(Try to get them dry with paper towels before).

Hope this helped.
//Fellow steak nerd

Iron blix
Premium Donator

Post by Iron blix » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:02 pm

Monys wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:54 pm
Blixie wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:24 pm We need more food pictures.
Post your modeling pictures
Ha!

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:14 pm

Tezey wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:58 pm That's one way to do it.

Feedback/How I would do it.

Picking meat: That's a nice piece of steak. Keep in mind that when you cook it the "bigger" pieces of fat will render and make the steak "fall apart", you can use butchers twine to make it stick together more but there's no need tbh.

Preheat seasoning: Good job on the room temp, many people miss that. As for bbq mix on a steak tho, wtf.

Placement: Why reverse sear? Isn't it easier the other way around? You get the crust you need and then set it to the side till it's done, now you set it to the side and let it get close to done and then sear it like you want and pray you don't overcook it.

Searing your steak: Why the skillet? If you put it directly over the fire you wont have the problem of burning the black pepper. In a skillet you'll burn the pepper for sure. Also no grill-lines :cry:

Waiting: Ah yes another good job. I wouldn't use aluminum foil tho, the sear should keep the steak warm and make it eatable in 5-10 mins.

The crust: Probably just the camera but for a skillet sear that looks like it was cooked in the oven. The normal sear method would make it better.

Doneness: You say medium but that looks over 140° to me. Probably just the camera.

Hope I wasn't too harsh but I can't stand people failing steaks lol. I'm sure your steak was good but I always see ways to improve.

Things you should try:
Dry-brining. You put salt on your steak like usual but you let it sit in your fridge for 10-24 hours. This will let the salt penetrate the meat all the way and you don't need to put more salt on it.
Seering and finnishing it in your skillet with butter/rosemary basting. Seer your steak, add butter(alot) and rosemary to the skillet and melt the butter. You don't want it too hot since you already seered the steak and now you just want it to go to 130-135°.
Ditch the bbq seasoning. You get the smoke and charcoal flavours from the grill and you don't want paprika flavours on your steak anyway. I always put garlic powder on my steaks. You can add fresh garlics when you bast your steak too but I prefer garlic powder.
Sous-vide. Set it at 130-135° for 1.5-2 hours with seasoning (use salt, black pepper and garlic powder/fresh garlic). Get your grill as hot as possible and seer them off like 1 min per steak max(Try to get them dry with paper towels before).

Hope this helped.
//Fellow steak nerd
Love the feedback, when I first started I would cook it over the fire and only to about a medium rare, but after trying the reverse sear method I just enjoy it so much more the way it cooks. This is my first time doing it with a skillet over the fire instead of directly over the fire, I feel like the crust was more shown on the skillet (plus the pepper would still burn over the fire it'd just stick to the steak itself), while I do love the grill lines as far as taste it wasn't very different with either method for me personally. This bbq mix I picked up a few weeks ago and honestly have no regrets, it is odd, but it gives it such a nice flavor when finished. I usually use foil to let it sit only because once I let it sit without and it just felt a bit cooler, but I'll try it again without the foil next time. Not harsh at all, and I appreciate the feedback, I'll definitely try out the dry-brining next time as well. I did use butter and rosemary while searing, I just didn't take a picture of it, but i didn't use a lot of garlic powder, maybe ill add a bit more next time to really let that flavor come out.
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Lykos
Premium Donator

Post by Lykos » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:46 pm

Not sous vide?
Hm..
THE DISCONTINUED-DRIVEN RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER

Rest In Peace Lieven

Church
Premium Donator

Post by Church » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:58 pm

0/10 i dont like steak

Will be ok2
Premium Donator

Post by Will be ok2 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:05 pm

Weird to see someone cook it before searing it. Atleast without trying to use sous vide.

Also I agree normally the average person doesn’t know to wait until it’s room temp before cooking, it lets all the muscles relax and gives you a massively more tender steak in the end. I like using wet rubs personally mainly sea salt, garlic, bbq sauce etc I switch it up time to time.

Also noticed you don’t have a massive crust on your steak either. I normally put about 1/8th of an inch of butter in my pan while searing to baste it and harden it up so all the juices stay inside, either way your steak still looks great!