Doxing

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.

Is Antonio Smart?

yes
No votes
yes
13%
definetly
No votes
indeed
No votes
i love antonio
88%
GOAT
No votes

Total votes: 8

Stale fish1
Wise One

Re: Doxing

Post by Stale fish1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 pm

Antonio wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:18 am
Diskid wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:08 am A rule against doxing is pretty much impossible to enforce. though it is easy to make sure your safe from it, Don't put enough information out there to connect yourself to your social media, though that seems to be very common now a days. put your information everywhere then whine when people use it to identify you.

personally, when asked my age, name, location , i lie because its none of anyone's business and i know how that information can be weaponized.
so what you are saying aswell is that the people who has been doxed, it's their own fault?
Just for future preferences, make it so moderators are able to ban someone from the game who has been doxing on discord, and EVERYONE who has been banned for doxing/dox threat.. well what can i say PERMANENT IP-BAN, although there's a guy i know that was just recently banned for Dox threats and he is ip-banned twice at the same time now if not 3 times, his name is 1 2/not so good/hello no cc
You know this is never going to happen

If the have to moderate this does that then mean that they also have to hand out mutes based on what people say on discord?

Then it goes even further to what people say in discord pms??

Where would the line in the sand be?

Empty
Honor Player

Post by Empty » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:20 pm

Stale fish1 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 pm
Antonio wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:18 am
Diskid wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:08 am A rule against doxing is pretty much impossible to enforce. though it is easy to make sure your safe from it, Don't put enough information out there to connect yourself to your social media, though that seems to be very common now a days. put your information everywhere then whine when people use it to identify you.

personally, when asked my age, name, location , i lie because its none of anyone's business and i know how that information can be weaponized.
so what you are saying aswell is that the people who has been doxed, it's their own fault?
Just for future preferences, make it so moderators are able to ban someone from the game who has been doxing on discord, and EVERYONE who has been banned for doxing/dox threat.. well what can i say PERMANENT IP-BAN, although there's a guy i know that was just recently banned for Dox threats and he is ip-banned twice at the same time now if not 3 times, his name is 1 2/not so good/hello no cc
You know this is never going to happen

If the have to moderate this does that then mean that they also have to hand out mutes based on what people say on discord?

Then it goes even further to what people say in discord pms??

Where would the line in the sand be?
even you said you dont support doxing at all, so maybe that would be the line for banning people completely, i wouldn't like my personal information getting leaked to public discords with 300+ people :P

Thierryu1
Premium Donator

Post by Thierryu1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:20 pm

Doxing is wrong

Diskid
Honor Player

Post by Diskid » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:20 pm

Antonio wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:18 am so what you are saying aswell is that the people who has been doxed, it's their own fault?
The issue is more the practicality of enforcement, i'm sure most people here would like for it to stop. however we have to be realistic, unless you can prove without a doubt that a person outside of pkhonor is that person in pkhonor then that person should be banned. but more often than not, doxers don't leave a trail of breadcrumbs to be caught.

also, personal responsibility should also play into this as a rule of thumb you should always be preventative rather than reactionary

Patel
Advisor

Post by Patel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Diskid wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:20 pm
Antonio wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:18 am so what you are saying aswell is that the people who has been doxed, it's their own fault?
The issue is more the practicality of enforcement, i'm sure most people here would like for it to stop. however we have to be realistic, unless you can prove without a doubt that a person outside of pkhonor is that person in pkhonor then that person should be banned. but more often than not, doxers don't leave a trail of breadcrumbs to be caught.

also, personal responsibility should also play into this as a rule of thumb you should always be preventative rather than reactionary
I agree with this sentiment, and in line with that I want to point out that I don't think we can make a rule regarding off-server DOXing and interactions, if we're going to try and make it exhaustive. Nor should we. We can make a principle though, that we invoke in situations riddled with grey areas. I.e. "act in the interest of defending the server and her players". And then we trust our staff members to act accordingly and defend their decisions. They could very well find that there's not enough evidence, not enough loose threads, and not enough motivation to do anything. They could also find the opposite.

Admins (should) carry the authority to act within the server's interests outside of the rules (within reason). In the current iteration of the game rules, Rule #12 traces this idea (indirectly) for all staff; we trust the staff to have the power to punish players with a simple 'obey them' rule, but we don't apply this principle to them having the power to 'extrapolate from all kinds of data'? There's plenty of precedent to say it has/can be done. The greatest example is that we have repeatedly punished people for off-server actions when it comes to RWT. How do you think RWTers are tracked down and banned before/after they RWT? Sure, some PM players ingame. But

the "Warning: staff regularly browse these forums" disclaimers on RSPS gold selling sites aren't there for no reason. There's a strong homology between punishing for posting RWT threads on separate forums/discussing prices through discord and punishing for spreading personal information on separate mediums. Even in the limit of no punishment, the evidence is taken seriously.

The idea that we don't take/haven't taken off-server evidence seriously is untrue. And that's a good thing

Brant
Fanatic

Post by Brant » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 am

This is why Patel is an advisor