the "friendly" N word...

Discuss anything and everything about PkHonor.
Nickrock234
Honor Player

the "friendly" N word...

Post by Nickrock234 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:17 am

So, I've come back around to wondering why saying nigga is allowed when it's racial slur origin isn't allowed. If anyone has a proper stance for a debate for why it's alright, I'm all ears.

I'll leave this here too as reference.
Spoiler: show
Mike wrote:Calling someone a smartass isn't offensive, especially when he's actually being a smartass.

Iron adam
Event Coordinator

Re: the "friendly" N word...

Post by Iron adam » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:28 am

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=45474

Allowed as long as it is not used in a derogatory context.

Thearlygamer
Premium Donator

Post by Thearlygamer » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:00 am

Iron adam wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:28 am viewtopic.php?f=81&t=45474

Allowed as long as it is not used in a derogatory context.
Being the best player on PkHonor is hard, I just make it look easy

Ain
Unstoppable

Post by Ain » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:14 am

It's alright because the meaning of words change. "Nigga" is okay because in many social circles it's seen as another word for brother or friend.

Context also matters. If you call a women a bitch because you are mad at them it has a different definition compared to if a girl calls her friend "my bitch". All about context.

Kalista
Honor Player

Post by Kalista » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:36 am

Ain wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:14 am It's alright because the meaning of words change. "Nigga" is okay because in many social circles it's seen as another word for brother or friend.

Context also matters. If you call a women a bitch because you are mad at them it has a different definition compared to if a girl calls her friend "my bitch". All about context.
I mean yea but a lot of black people still dont want white people using the word, regardless of the context.

Azu rite
Premium Donator

Post by Azu rite » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Relax nigga

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:27 pm

The reason we don't make it illegal is because we aim to follow the rules of society. We're not here to decide on the issue one way or another, especially not when the world's experts can''t even agree on it.

In real life nigga is definitely considered a controversial term, but not outright racist. Black people are the ones who propelled the term into popular culture and continue to do so. When it's perfectly OK to have radio stations broadcast rap songs about "my niggas in da hood" (or even stuff like this) it's clear that, while society is divided on the whole issue, it is definitely not outlawed in real life.

So we just try to follow suit. It's not prohibited full stop, but it can be considered inappropriate under some circumstances. Just like it is in real life. If the world ever reaches a verdict on this we will happily follow suit, but as it is I think our rules are as close to real life as they can be.

Brant
Fanatic

Post by Brant » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm

If you still take offense to a specific word in 2020, I'm sorry for you. Word are just that, words. The only reason they have any power is because a society deemed it to be. It's the same issue I have with cuss words. Like, why do they have to sensor them when clearly you can tell what it is from the context of the sentence. That and they usually don't sensor the full word, just like 1 or two letters of it.

For example, if I were to say, "God Damn it you fucking little bitch", isn't it the exact same meaning as, "gosh darn, you little piece of piece" I bet you 99% of people could tell you were cussing in on way or another on the second example, even if it doesn't have any 'cuss words'.

Tldr: words are just words. Don't get offended by them

Lykos
Premium Donator

Post by Lykos » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:10 pm

"What if there was a world where you could no longer say the word 'nigga'. I'm not talking 'nigger', I mean the 'a' version. The one we took, we transformed, from a tool of hatred into a of tool of love. Into a tool of brotherhood for our people and other people who aren't even our people."
-Desmond 'Etika' Amofah (2018)
May he rest in peace.
THE DISCONTINUED-DRIVEN RUNESCAPE PRIVATE SERVER

Rest In Peace Lieven

Rapsey
Sysadmin

Post by Rapsey » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Brant wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm If you still take offense to a specific word in 2020,
Unfortunately it seems that in recent years, people have become more and more uptight about words. The internet age has provided a platform for social justice warriors to unite behind whatever cause they deem righteous and put pressure on governing instances and tech companies alike, until they finally cave and give in to their relentless efforts to lay guilt on everyone who isn't as morally superior as they are. And in doing so, creating problems where none existed.

It's the same thing with the Dutch word "neger". For centuries this was nothing more than a harmless denotation of race, no more offensive than the word "caucasian". Now if you check Wikipedia you'll find this:

Is that really better? I'm pretty sure if I referred to an asian as "yellow person" they'd consider it pretty damn rude...

Or, translated from the Dutch Wikipedia:
In 2002, the Foundation Honor and Reparation Payments Victims of Slavery in Suriname tried to have the words negro and creole removed from the Dutch-language dictionaries, because it considered them offensive. After a ruling by the Equal Treatment Commission, Van Dale and other dictionary institutes did not have to comment on this because the function of a dictionary is no more than registering the meaning of words in accordance with the actual word use. In 2005 Van Dale added to the definition experienced by some as a swear word. Later still it became: by more and more people perceived as insulting.
These days it's not even about racism anymore. It's about white people's fear of possibly being seen as racist.